Ack--Did I Overreact?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
DH and I took the dogs for a walk at a trail in a park that is on-leash only. As we were almost to the end of the trail, there was a guy in the parking lot with a loose lab. the dog came FLYING over the bridge at us. jack and I were and front, and while Jack is fine with other dogs, Sally is reactive and has gotten in a scuffle with a black lab that that was off leash and ran up to her before.

Since the dog was coming right for us the only thing I could think to do was yell--I yelled at the owner (who was still in the parking lot and NOT even attempting to recall his dog) and then yelled repeatedly at the dog to "GO HOME!!" (the only thing I could think to yell), and pointed away from us until the dog ran back to his owner, who then leashed him.

Sally reacted more strongly to this dog than I think I've seen her react to any dog. Unfortunately my husband didn't just turn her around and walk her away from the situation in the first place and I couldn't get her to calm down until we got to the car.

I feel like my yelling upset her more than usual but I didn't know what else to do--I couldn't think of another way to get the dog away.

Did I over react? Was there something else we could have tried?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I think you did the right thing. Yell or risk a dog fight? I would have yelled

I usually try stomping or putting my hands out in a stop type motion before I yell...but yeah, sounds like I would have ended up yelling too....

Don't blame ya...I also would have put a fist in the dogs face if the yell didn't work.

bubbatd

It's hard to go back at this point and wonder what one could or should have done .

Lolas Dad

For what you did their is no reason to second guess it. You were lucky that you were able to yell in time.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Yelling likely did add to Sally's reactivity. But we do what we have to in order to keep our dogs safe. Yelling is the last thing I tend to do -- I have a very calm panic. My first reaction in such a situation is typically to body block.

If yelling is your first response, it might be helpful to desensitize Sally to your yelling and stress. Teach her that tightening up on the leash = yummy treats, yell and be upset while throwing a ball, stuff like that so that if there's a next time she doesn't see your reaction as a reason for her to become even more upset.

Pops2

pepper spray and then the dog would have taken it back to the owner, when he comes down yelling gas him too, since YOU "felt threatened." call 911 immediately after spraying the dog so the 911 op can record him freaking out and you "feeling threatened."
DON'T tell any responding police you feared about your dog's reaction or any other crap. the only answer you need to give them is
1 YOU felt threatened by the dog & gassed it
2 YOU felt threatened by the other owner & gassed him
he might even get a ticket for letting his dog run loose

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Sierra and I ran into 3 off leash dogs the other day, all who ran towards us. Me. Sierra. Three dogs running at her. (She's reactive and we've been making a LOT of progress, but this was spelling disaster).

I hollered out to the owners, they did nothing. I ended up shoving the first dog away with my foot (not kicked, just pushed, it was friendly I just didn't want it getting in our space for obvious reasons), and thank GOD someone was coming up behind me and herded the dogs away back to the owners so I could manage Sierra. The owners said nothing, even as I walked (with a good 10 foot comfort zone for Sierra) past them. I thanked the guy who helped profusely as I would have been SCREWED were it not for him.

I don't think you overreacted at all. I think you did exactly what I would have done if the dogs were any more eager to get in our space.

Members online

No members online now.