pocket dogs

ricky

i have a question tat's y created this forum
do pocket dogs exist? my friend was telling about it , he is too small and potable to be taken in one's pocket.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Ther are plenty of breeds small enogh to be carried round...
However anyone purposly breeding dogs small enough as adults to be carried in a pocket is NOT a good breeder. Terms like tecup, tiny toy, pocket ect are buzz words used by petstores mills and back yard breeders to advertise and get more money for their undersized, usually sickly litter runts.

The smallest breed is the chihuahua...
Breed standar calls for a dog between 3 and 6 lbs... 3 lbs is TINY and anyon breeding for smaller isn't. Worth he trouble, bred smaller they tend to be prone to many health problems
at 3lbs my smallest likes to be carried... But he also walks perfectly on leash!

Pops2

not all "pocket" breeds are tiny. a pocket beagle (under 11 inches) is still bigger than the biggest "standard" chihuahua. OTH most of the chihuahuas when i was a kid were over standard at 6-10 # and just as purebred as the tiny things today.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What do you mean by pocket dogs?

There are toy breeds, which are generally very small. My dogs are all in the 6-8 lb range, which is within their standard. Papillons have been this small for centuries judging by the paintings with them in them.

Teacup dogs are a fad nowadays and are not bred by reputable breeders. They typically involve just breeding for size, which is never good.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
not all "pocket" breeds are tiny. a pocket beagle (under 11 inches) is still bigger than the biggest "standard" chihuahua. OTH most of the chihuahuas when i was a kid were over standard at 6-10 # and just as purebred as the tiny things today.
There is no such breed as a pocket beagle. They are not quality bred dogs and anyone breeding them are back yard breeders at best. They are under 10" not 11. The standard for a beagle is 10-15" so a pocket beagle would have to be under that.

The smaller the dog (when out of breed standard) the more problems they have. They are standards for a reason.

S

Squishy22

My chihuahua is 3 pounds 11 ounces. I cant imagine owning one much more under that weight. I dont want a hamster, I want a dog. I've read that the supper small chihuahuas are so small that their teeth dont fit into their mouth properly... not enough room. ACK.

Pops2

Jenn
here there is no minimum in the two major show registries, only miximums.
i ran into a guy on a hunting forum a few years ago looking for other hunters who preferred the really small beagles w/ the intent of founding a working registry for Pocket Beagles w/ a max height of 11" & a hunt test to register. i don't think that would really be a BYB/miller registry & i think that was his intent.
here we also have deer beagles & fox beagles, both are essentially lanky beagles 14-17 inches. no special registry for them but they show up regularly at deer & foxhound competitions.

Jenn
i ran into a guy on a hunting forum a few years ago looking for other hunters who preferred the really small beagles w/ the intent of founding a working registry for Pocket Beagles w/ a max height of 11" & a hunt test to register. i don't think that would really be a BYB/miller registry & i think that was his intent.
here we also have deer beagles & fox beagles, both are essentially lanky beagles 14-17 inches. no special registry for them but they show up regularly at deer & foxhound competitions.
There is an under 13" and there is a 15 inch.

So technically yes a beagle under 10" COULD theoretically qualify. But it's not just about height. A lot of other factors come into play. Bailey is about 9" and she is wayyy off standard, not just in her height.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Jenn
It is not a DQ but it is not aceptable to be under 10`` Working dogs are different. They are not bed to a standard usually. A beagle under 10 inches and you are going to have major problems. Regardless on how good the intentions are it is not a good breeding program

Pops2

i disagree. if work is the focus general health will follow. an unhealthy dog can't work very well or very long, either for the day or for the long haul. there is a reason you don't hear about a lot of health problems in working bred dogs.

Pops2

the guy trying to start a registry for them had a website w/ historical paintings going back hundreds of years and pics of his own dogs working.

mmorlino

I know of a dachshund breeder who is purposely attempting to create a "toy" dachshund. They have several generations of 6 lbs and under dogs. I'm definitely on the fence about this. The dogs have all had their health testing (this breeder is big on health testing, also shows and rescues...) but... they don't look like dachshunds.

While I respect this breeder in showing and rescuing... Most of their operation is "pet" breeding. And that's okay... because some of mine are pet only. But mine only have a few minor faults - they still look very much like dachshunds. This person breeds for color.. and charges $1500+ for a "pet" puppy... and they hardly look like dachshunds. Long scrawny legs, buggy eyes, etc.

Idunno... It just gets under my skin.

Staff online

Members online