4th time this year

T

tessa_s212

Lol! Believe it or not, my sister's awful cat would tear the window screen out to get outside. She did it FIVE times. (House doesn't have air conditioning, leaving window closed was not an option.) That's when she gave up.

Honestly, if our two cats were like that, we'd just let them out too. BUT, our house is out in the country and set farther back from the house. And, if anyone ever happened to them, I wouldn't blame anyone else (unless they intentionally killed it). It'd never be any animal's fault that killed the cat, nor any person that ever kit it by a car, etc.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
My cat would not be able to live if she was cooped up in the house. In fact, we were surprised when my dad came home with her because he hates cats. But she is special. She comes in and out whenever she wants, she is street smart. Yes, she actually is, she is scared to death of cars and will look both ways many times.

She is NOT declawed, I would never let a cat outside if she was declawed, I wouldn't even declaw a cat. She was at first an outside cat, but eventually was merged to an outside inside cat. Yes, it would be my fault if she got killed, but I think it is highly unlikely.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
All cat owners do not suck...those that randomly let their cats out and expect nothing to happen to them operate under a form of delusion I envy.
ditto this.

Pops, I have two cats currently, lost an 18 year old in the past month... and not one of them has ever been allowed to roam outside and bother other people and risk their life.

So not all cat owners are bad people!;)

EDIT:

I am actually curious why it is okay to let cats roam free because "they are happier"... I am pretty sure my dog would be very happy if I let him out to run free but that is called irresponsible.

If we read a story about a dog running free on here, people all say the owners are irresponsible and should find a way to keep them inside, even when they dig out, jump over, or tear apart a fence or crate... shouldnt dogs be allowed to be happy and run free?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
maybe its wrong of me to say. But i dont place nearly as much value on my cat as i do my dogs.
It may be irresponsible of me. I live in a Rural area and my few neighbors have already said they do not mind my cat.
I may get flamed for saying this, but if my cat gets ate by coyotes... too bad, but no huge deal for me. I would be sad, but recover by the next day and probably be out looking for another indoor outdoor barn type of cat.

i feel that cats are much smarter outdoors than dogs. Ruckus and lynn running loose would be horrible Ruckus would bite people, Lynn would run around and bark at everything. The cat hunts in the woods and lays in the sun on the drive way.

ditto this.

Pops, I have two cats currently, lost an 18 year old in the past month... and not one of them has ever been allowed to roam outside and bother other people and risk their life.

So not all cat owners are bad people!;)

EDIT:

I am actually curious why it is okay to let cats roam free because "they are happier"... I am pretty sure my dog would be very happy if I let him out to run free but that is called irresponsible.

If we read a story about a dog running free on here, people all say the owners are irresponsible and should find a way to keep them inside, even when they dig out, jump over, or tear apart a fence or crate... shouldnt dogs be allowed to be happy and run free?
I agree. whats the huge difference?

Cats destroy peoples gardens. Use them as a washroom.
kill wildlife.
get in to fights/in to peopls engines of cars.
They attack dogs. I hav been hissed and rushed at while alking Blaze by many cats.

I find it to be very rude to let cats wander around, and very irresponsible. If the cat wants out, tie him up or build a out door encloser.

Unless you have acres of land. I dont see any reason for a outdoor cat, tie them up or dont own one

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I agree. whats the huge difference?

Cats destroy peoples gardens. Use them as a washroom.
kill wildlife.
get in to fights/in to peopls engines of cars.
They attack dogs. I hav been hissed and rushed at while alking Blaze by many cats.

I find it to be very rude to let cats wander around, and very irresponsible. If the cat wants out, tie him up or build a out door encloser.

Unless you have acres of land. I dont see any reason for a outdoor cat, tie them up or dont own one
:hail: :hail: Well Said!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Indoor only or free roam outside are not the only options. When we get our own place, Pi will become an indoor/outdoor cat for a variety of reasons, mainly because he has litterbox issues (i.e. he will pee on furniture to the point of complete loss so he is confined to one room of the house 24/7 now). That being said, he *will not* be allowed to roam free. We'll either put up cat-proof fencing (the dogs already require a 6' privacy fence, what's a few brackets for a cat overhang lol) or a completely fenced and topped cat run. It's the best of both worlds: happy and safe cat, and happy neighbors and wildlife.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I think that cats are just different then dogs. We have a half acre, neighbors who don't mind, and a cat who would tear up our house if we stuck her up in it. It was bad enough during the hurricanes when we could only let her out once or twice a day.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I don't think any pets should be kept outside- I also don't really consider a barn cat a pet. They are more functional, and yes they live very short lives.

My kitty is an inside only kitty, and actually does not like going outside. To bad for him if he did want to go outside- we have dogs on either side of us, and quite frankly it would be irresponsible of me to let him outside and just trust him to his own devices.

I mean...how is he supposed to know that the yard next to us houses a very aggressive lab until he stumbles upon it, and then with no bushes for him to climb to get out of that yard and a 7 foot privacy fence on all sides he would be prime meat for that monster dog!

I know other kitty owners may feel differently, but for me all of my pets from my orandas to my dog to my kitty are all equal in my heart b/c I don't have any kids...won't have kids= this world is such a mess...

It would be the same to me if I let Abby just run around outside (not that she would go too far, LOL she's a home body like me) and she got hit by a car or attacked by a stray dog or abused by some awful group of teenagers or used as a bait dog...

All of that would be my fault, or I would see it as such.

I don't see this situation as Pop's fault and frankly I can definitely agree with his frustration. He has a working animal that was injured due to the negligence of another owner.

If a stray dog or cat got into the back yard while Abby was using the bathroom and somehow injured her, I would try to find the people that the animal belonged to and I would give them a piece of my mind.

Grab

maybe its wrong of me to say. But i dont place nearly as much value on my cat as i do my dogs.
It may be irresponsible of me. I live in a Rural area and my few neighbors have already said they do not mind my cat.
I may get flamed for saying this, but if my cat gets ate by coyotes... too bad, but no huge deal for me. I would be sad, but recover by the next day and probably be out looking for another indoor outdoor barn type of cat.

i feel that cats are much smarter outdoors than dogs. Ruckus and lynn running loose would be horrible Ruckus would bite people, Lynn would run around and bark at everything. The cat hunts in the woods and lays in the sun on the drive way.
that makes me a little sad...

our cats are just as valued as our dogs..they're great companions with their own personalities..just as our dogs are.
I'd never let my cats out, and they have no desire to go out. But, I have seen some very nice enclosed outdoor areas for cats that offer them a safe place to go out, which is an excellent option. A harness and leash also works well.

The town I live in now does not have a leash law for cats, which is unfortunate. The town I lived in before did, and it drastically cut down on roaming cats since people often had to pay fines. Here, outdoor cats are not uncommon. I had to bring the boys in a few weeks ago, as they treed a young cat and I wanted to give it a chance to go on its merry way.

S

Squishy22

All I have to say is that it would **** me off when my neighbors cats would come into my yard and take 3 giant dumps a day. No different that someones dog pooping in my yard. Thay can be a major pest. I do like cats, but I've always bonded to my dogs more.

Personally I think it depends on your cat, your neighbors and where you live. If you let your cat out you are still responsible for what it does, where it goes and who it bothers. You are making the decision to put their life at more risk for the sake of letting them out. That should be understood and excepted.

Now, that being said we have two cats that are allowed outdoors and one that isn't. Yes, something could happen to them and we've had things happen to our outdoor/indoor cats. But we weighed the pros and cons and decided that the enrichment they get from being outside was worth the risk

We live in an area with no dogs, no busy streets and neighbors that don't mind. Our cats for the most part stay in our yard and sleep on the patio furniture.

Our 20 something year old cat just showed up one day and since we didn't know if he was just passing through or staying we weren't going to keep him in. He lives for his summer days sleeping on the deck or greeting people from our driveway.

Our 9 year old cat grew up with my grandma in the rural country and spent most of his days out hunting down rabbits and being outside. When she died he came and lived with us and since we live in a relatively safe area we didn't make him stay inside.

It's a personal choice and unique to our situation.

Honestly, for the most part if my dogs were as street savvy and unobtrusive as my cats it wouldn't be such an issue if they ran "free"

But, if my cat goes into someones yard and is killed by a dog I would blame no one but myself. If a dog came into my yard and killed my cat the blame would lay on the owner of the dog.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Buster would kill a stray cat if he could, I don't think he's fast enough to catch anything though. I would do my best to save one if I caught him after one, if he kills a random rabbit it doesn't bother me but the cat shouldn't suffer for the owners mistake. That said, if it happens in my yard, its not his fault. I keep him in, it is the cats owners job to make sure they're cat stays out.

I adore cats, I loved them before I found my passion in dogs and I really miss not having one around. Both cats I've had growing up have been indoor/outdoor. Panda eventually died outdoors but during the day when he was supposed to be locked indoors because we were out.
When we got Elliot I really wanted him to be indoor only, I always knew something would eventually get Panda and over time we had restricted his outdoor time less and less. Elliot we picked because we didn't think he would be interested in going outdoors, turns out he was to the point of ripping screens of windows and doors.
They are on acreage now and he never leaves the property and loves going down to the paddocks to visit the horses.

Future cats will be indoor only.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Sorry Pops. :( We killed a cat the other day accidentally too, darted out in front of our car. It wasn't your fault that cat died nor is it my fault the cat I ran over died either.

Honestly I hate that it's still legal to let your pet cat free roam. I think it's irresponsible and even rude if it goes in your neighbors' yards. I see dead cats all the time and can't see how that would ever be worth it.

T

tessa_s212

Our oldest barn cat just recently passed away at 19. Not all have short lives. :) I know some people that take VERY good care of their barn cats, as if they were indoor pets. Spay/neuter, vaccines, yearly check ups, the whole shebang. And yes, we actually have a handful of people that come into our vet clinic that do this. Rare, but they are out there. And if we ever lived out in the country and took care of stray/feral/barn cats, they'd be treated the same.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I actually don't have a problem with barn cats as I see them as working animals first and 'pets' second.

If you're out in the country and the cat isn't going to wander to someone's yard I really don't care if you take the risk as long as you understand the risk. It's the ones in town around here I really hate... Running out in front of cars, getting in other peoples' yards, walking on cars, etc. I think it's rude and a hazard.

I actually don't have a problem with barn cats as I see them as working animals first and 'pets' second.

If you're out in the country and the cat isn't going to wander to someone's yard I really don't care if you take the risk as long as you understand the risk. It's the ones in town around here I really hate... Running out in front of cars, getting in other peoples' yards, walking on cars, etc. I think it's rude and a hazard.
Exactly. A bar cat to me is a like a pyr n the dog world. Is a working animal. And barn cats are needed, justas much as guardian dogs are needed on a farm.

I just think it is inconsiderate and rude of people in town to have out door cats wander around. And here it is the law to keep them in doors. But people ignore it. and their pts die for ther owners ignorence.

My boyfriends neighboor has a bunch of cats. who do as they please. they taunt his families dog, they scratch at is windows and screens trying to get in side. they crap in the yadr ect. Lucky I and his family are animal people. but I know for sure if they start doing that with our friends house across the road, those cats wont come home, as our friend hates animals with all his passion. He tolerates and even likes Blaze because Blaze is a good dog. But if those terrible cats go overhere, Idoubt thy will ever come back. Thy will probably ed up at is work, where they will get killed by large trucks.

Keep them inside, unless you got alot poperty. its called bein a considerate neighbor.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Accidents happen, ask me! I hope Sonic is ok and his bite doesn't get infected.

Pops2

Sonic is okay no limp now. I don't dislike all cat owners it's just that the irresponsible ones out number the responsible ones by an even larger margin than that of dog owners. i have had two neighbors that had indoor only cats & when they escaped i caught them (neighbors had their hands full w/ kids at the time) and brought them back to the owners. I did this (despite being very allergic) because they are really much more careful & concerned than most cat owners here who quite frequently abandoned them when they move.
yess there is another option besides indoor only & free roam. an outdoor cat cage can be made from the dog run panels available at lowes, home depot etc. since it's all modular you can make it as big as you need. top it off w/ either additional chainlink panels or 2X4 garden wire fence which you can also place on the inside at the gate. it can then be "landscaped" w/ large branches & platforms. it gives the pet cat a safe outdoor environment and keeps them from being a pest to neighbors.

when we finally leave the Marine Corps and buy our own place we will build a large version for me to get a caracal (combo pet & training helper). also may do one for a fox if my younger daughter decides she does want one (have already found farmers in the colors she likes that will sell to us) when she's older. that one would be harder as i would have to bury the 2X4 wire about 2 feet down and completely line the area w/ it.

Members online

No members online now.