CAT Coursing

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I'm taking my Laekenois to a CAT on Saturday in Charlotte, NC. Do you think it will make him a better rabbit hunter? I don't think I want that. Right now he sees the rabbit, and then tries to scent it's location. Of course, that doesn't work.

momto8

With my Ibizan coursing had heightened her prey drive alot, for her breed this is not really a bad thing. However she is a breed that has high prey drive and are naturally good hunters, so it may be different for other breeds.

CaliTerp07

Dog's don't generalize very easily. Think about training a basic behavior. The dog may have mastered "sit" in your living room, but it will still take a lot of effort to effectively train a "sit" in the backyard or out in public. More complex behaviors like agility have to be practiced in dozens of different locations before the dog realizes it's the same activity in a different spot. I don't see why coursing would be any different, although in coursing there's nothing to train, really--the dog just follows its instinct.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I just heard that a special collar is required. It looks confusing. Can I use a rope with a loop?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
It might help, it might not.

I don't see why coursing would be any different, although in coursing there's nothing to train, really--the dog just follows its instinct.
There are plenty of dogs who can play go to ground in the safety of a trial, but in the real world can't or will not go after real prey. You could get a better hunter from playing the game, especially as Cali points out you do it in varying situations, or you could end up with a dog that gets the game and still won't hunt.

Members online

No members online now.