Mitsu tore a nail right out of her paw :(

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Like the title says Mitsu tore her nail right out. I have NO idea how she did it, but she did. And its the first for me having a dog that tore a nail.

But Holy Hell that foot bled alot. I've learned a few things from this experiance.

1) Bully breeds are indeed Blood thirsty. Mitsu was cleaning up her blood faster than she was pumping it out.

2) I don't think Bully breeds feel pain.

Her paw looked so painful, but nope I could handle it and squeeze it and all Mitsu was worried about was cleaning up the blood. If this were Teagan I was talking about, well she would make such a dramatic scene and probably act like she was dieing :rolleyes:

Thankfully we were able to bandage it nice and tight for a few hours and the bleeding stopped, then I was able to re-bandage it with some Polysporin so that hopefully it does not get infected.

People with dogs who have lost nails. How long did you keep their foot bandaged??

SaraB

Torn nails end up with infections pretty easily, so leave it bandaged as long as you can. You can leave it unbandaged inside, but it needs to be covered before going outside at all. You may need to bring her to the vet for a round of antibiotics if it looks red, swollen or angry. Change the bandage often and smell for any infection. Soaking in diluted chlorhexidene (novasan scrub) can help ward off infection, just make sure it is completely dried before bandaging again.

Last edited:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Not long at all, I want the nail to breath.

I soak the paw in warm water, clean it, dry it, wrap it if we're going out, and leave it open in my house as much as possible to encourage drying (bandaging encourages moisture).

Doberluv

Ouch! That sounds so painful, poor thing. I hope it heals up soon. I think I'd be inclined to try and keep it bandaged until it is closing, then let air to it. I know....next to impossible because they're always chewing at and trying to get it off. I would imagine it's really susceptible to infection being on the dirt and stuff. Watch for tenderness in the surrounding tissue around the nail that might indicate infection. Or better yet, call your vet and ask what they think. Of course, they always say, "bring the dog in." And it may not warrant that just yet. Lots of healing vibes coming Mitzu's way.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks guys, great info.

I does not seem to be bothing her, which is good. And its not tender to touch nor does it look, smell or feel infected. Lets hope it stays that way.

Paige

Let it be
All I have to contribute is OMG HOWWWWW?! The very idea makes me cringe. That dog is tough! Hangnails hurt me let alone ripping an entire nail out.

My guys are frequently tearing their dewclaws out, and sometimes other nails. I do not bandage them, unless needed to stop the bleeding. I soak it in half listerine and half water for 3-5 minutes, normally twice a day. More often if they have been really running around outside. If the toe becomes inflamed, hot, sore, red, or any other sign showing the start of an infection; I put them on antibiotics and probiotics for a few days.

Members online

No members online now.