How much to feed 9 mo. old Golden?

jowak

I have two 9 mo. old golden retriever mixed and I feed them each 1 1/2 can of dog food per day. I also give them treats (2 strips each) x2 each day and one pig ear after their supper.

They always seem REALLY HUNGRY! Am I feeding them enough??

grab01

I'm on a boat..
the easiest way to tell is by feeling them. You should be able to feel rib without seeing too much. Some dogs are just food hounds, so having a feel is the best way to tell if you're feeding an appropriate amount

~Tucker&Me~

Haha my golden mix, Tucker, never ceases to be hungry :p

The amount you are feeding them should depend on whether they are neutered yet, their activity level and the quality of food you are feeding. If you feed a good high quality kibble, they won't need as much :)

And I may be wrong, but I don't think pig ears are very good for dogs. I used to feed them occasionally as an extra special treat but would never make them a regular part of my dog's diet. I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that they aren't very good for dogs.

What type of treats are you feeding? I don't think they need treats as part of their regular diet. Use them for training by all means but there is no need to feed them just for the sake of feeding them. Besides, most treats no the market aren't very beneficial for dogs nutrition wise.

And like grab said, a good rule of them is to run your hands down your dogs side. You should feel ribs but not see them (depending on what your dog is mixed with). On goldens they should not be visible but if your dog has a short coat and is crossed with, for example, a greyhound, seeing ribs wouldn't necessarily be bad. Dogs should always have atleast a little bit of a waist though!

Pictures may help. Top and side view are always helpful.

Members online

No members online now.