Dang dog did it again!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor uses his feet for comunication..not always in my best behalf. This morning while "playing" he pounced. We addressed this early on but I guess he has had a real lapse of memory..part of that is my fault for playing on the bed in the morning..he needs a 5 mile run just to drain off some of his energy.so this was my fault..he pounced on my head leaving me a goose egg with an angry welt down my left eye and looks to be a shiner. I take the responsiblity for that...but just now he came up I am petting his head and he raked me again...we have gone over and over four on the floor..not just the jumping..but no raking to get my attention either. He does it with a lot of force. Tips hints help!

Shiva and I have the same discussion. Those shelaleghs she calls paws pack a wallop! I taught her not to use them just by knocking them away and telling her to put her paws down and refusing to pet her until she keeps her feet to herself. She remembers most of the time now, with only occasional lapses. I'm careful to always acknowledge her when she comes over and puts her head on me or asks for attention in some acceptable manner. I may not necessarily stop everything and pet her, but I do at least give her a verbal acknowledgement and look at her and tell her I see her and will take care of her in a minute.

That's probably pretty much the same thing you've been doing with Vic; they do forget sometimes when they are particularly needy or wanting to play.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When I got Victor I thought at first i was over my head..the dog brings a whole new meaning to the word active...his muscles are taunt like rubberbands stretched out all the time..he paces, sometimes in place because he wants to "go" so badly. During the warmer months (anything above freezing) we can go to the off leash park and he is good for days and days after that but right now is rough. I could never walk him enough to skim the top off of that energy and even with Mom's yard a couple hours a day it is not enough. I don't find fault with what happened, tho it almost cost me an eye...i wasn't sure I still had one for a few minutes..but it does mean I will have to find a way to get him out for more exercise. I know all dogs are "punks" the first two years and he will calm down but the foot thing is an issue. He doen'st try to put it on top of my hand while I drive anymore..but he uses it almost as an expression of exasperation. When he wants out he stomps his feet, too. In play he doesn't use his mouth first, he uses the feet. Mom suggested boots...which would never work, and then told me that dog was going to be my end..but she always says that. this morning I was thinking shackles..but only in jest. I will just have to get him out more and wait for father time to settle his jets a little. I thought maybe there was a different way to teach him, I have caught that paw said nononono and put it on the floor, rubbed his head always...i have grabbed both feet and done the same a zillion times. I am not getting the message thru. He never does this to my grandaughter. He is so gentle with her, nibbles her socks off and nibbles her toes, I think he thinks of me as an equal and I should get the lead out and play. I don't know, but pouncing is forbidden as it is dangerous and I don't always see it coming.

You may have to be very stern with him for a bit. It's hard - so hard sometimes. Shiva has figured out that "dammit" means she has gone too far and she cools her jets when she hears it. Her feelings are tender enough that a stern tone chills her out in a hurry. I hate doing it because she's not malicious and she tries so hard and wants to be so good, but when she's worked up it can take a brick wall to stop her. She and Vic are about the same age . . . :rolleyes:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my son knows that word too i think sometimes I could save a lot of energy with the teenagers if i just used that first...my mother would be horrified

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
This morning my bedroom door was open about two feet. I looked over and a toy beaver "skin" (the stuffing long time removed) was being pushed out just a little bit. THen Victor's head appeared laying on top of the toy and he rolled his eyes at me and Mary. When we didn't respond his head ducked back in and his toy alligator was pushed out the door and placed on top of the beave skin too. Mary looked at me and I at her, we both agreed no way were we going in there..so he pulled the alligator back in and we heard lots of jumping around..then he came out and sulked..I will take him to the park this afternoon..just thought it was funny.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Aaawww!I think that's cute! Much better than being rudely awoken by a slimey teddy on your face! And then they look at you as if to say "aren't I a nice boy to share my teddy with you!!" Lol

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It may be play to him, but you couldn't have paid me or mary to go in there. I did that the day before..like walkin into a room with a nitro supper ball. You should have heard him in there jumping on my bed. Old Mary and I just sat there and stared at the door.
He looks so innocent rolling those eyes over at us....yesterday I fell for that..they say only a jack ass steps in the same hole twice...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I just got back from the movies with my grandaughter oh boy The winnie the pooh Hephalump movie..we were the only ones in there..anyway it dawned on me that my eye feels like it got swacked with a 40 lb rubberband.

Your analogy to a rubber band and previous description of Victor bounding and bouncing AND coming back from a Winnie the Pooh movie made me remember something:

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tigger's a wonderful thing!
The head is made of the rubber
The tail is made of the spring!

:D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
your so bad Renee lol That shouldn't be funny at all but it is...i never realized how often I wink at Hyia.....ouch

Members online

No members online now.