Puppy seems too skinny

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah (the genius puppy) is almost 3 months old. When we first got her she seemed quite plump in her tummy. After we got her to the vet and got her shots (and dewormed because ofcourse she had to have worms too) she started to lose weight pretty fast. I just can't seem to fatten her up any. My husband doesn't think that she looks skinny but to me she does seem pretty skinny. She eats and drinks good. She eats 3 times a day (approxiamately 1 cup per feeding). She eats very good in the morning and her dinner but it seems she's usually not hungry at lunch time. I checked the bag and she's eating a little more than they suggest for a puppy of her age. Is it normal for them to be skinny? My vet says she seems fine, and he can't find anything wrong with her, but it makes me feel sort of bad. I see other puppies her age and they have more meat on their bones then she does. Is the whole skinny thing just a phase she is going through, or could it be something that her vet isn't catching? :confused:

Fran27

I wouldn't worry about it. When we got Boris, he was 10 weeks old, and he had an adorable round belly :) Then he grew up and at 3 months he looked pretty skinny too... It's just because they grow up so fast. We were feeding him more than the recommended dose (about 4 1/2 cups a day, he was about 35 lbs at the time), and gave him treats all day long, and he still seemed very skinny for a few months. Now he's 6 month old and he's prefect :)

GSDFan05

Do you know that she's definitely losing pounds, or does she just look skinny? Most dogs get gangly when they're in growth spurts (and the loss of that round belly could have been a result of deworming, definitely a good thing!).

What breed is your puppy? Just curious, some breeds such as pointers and greyhounds are almost IMPOSSIBLE to put meat on! As long as your vet is monitoring her weight and thinks she's in the normal range, she's probably ok, but it is good that you're keeping an eye on it.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
She's definetely gaining weight, just looks skinny. She's a labrador. I watch her weight, I weigh her every other day. She is gaining weight though. Although like I said in the other thread atleast I'm not as worried now and I can sit back and give a sigh of relief

Members online

No members online now.