20L or 20H for planted tank?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've always heard 20L was better but the specs I find are all for 20 tall with low tech planted tanks. I want to get the planted tank thing right.

I also am considering a 29 but probably will stick to 20...

Eco complete for substrate. Confused about light fixtures. I'm also considering a nutrafin co2 system which is like a DIY system only... I don't have to DIY. Lol. Only downside I see is that the ladder/dispenser it comes with can get small fish stuck behind it. Any idea how to remedy it?

Also... Fertilizers... Do you dose everything separately or do you use one fertilizer?

SaraB

I like 20L because the dimensions are more pleasing to my eye. I also like that you don't need a lot of wattage for lights and you have a lot more ground space. However, the tall plants need to be trimmed a lot more often in a 20L than tall because you just don't have a lot of vertical space. I just used a couple clip desk lamps with the "day" CF light bulbs and that worked awesome for my 20L planted tank. $5 per fixture and a couple dollars more for bulbs. Just make sure you get the right light spectrum (can't remember off hand, but if you go to a planted tank forum you should be able to find it quickly). I never did any of the other fancy stuff, used plant substrate and then layered the black tahitian sand on top of that.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What kind of plants/fish did you keep? How about filter?

I'm looking at coralife 30" T5 with a 6600k and color max bulbs as I found a nice tank with that in place. Cheaper would be nice though.

I've had problems in the past with algae and also plants melting. Rigt now I just have plastic plants in there. I'd like to try again and do more research to get it right on a larger tank. Not sure what went wrong exactly. And reading fish keeping forums sort of sounds like a foreign language.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like the look of 20L better too an te lighting being better is something I've thought of too.

Tall tanks are a pita to get lighting to the bottom, smaller surface area for lighting, yet more water to try and get light through to the bottom. I have a tall corner tank and I had to resort to led lighting.

Members online

No members online now.