bloody Siameses

mrose_s

BusterLove
I remember when we were bringing Elliot home, mum was talking about other Siamese cats she'd had. She said they were prettyheadstrong, she even had one girl that tore a guaze screen off to get outside.

Well half the reason we picked Elliot was because the shelter said he had shown no interest in going out in his run. We thought great, we don't have to worry about soemthign happening to him outside (after more thought we think Panda ate a poisoned bird, we keep finding dead birds on the road that used to live in our tree)
so yesterday Harry pushed the back dooropen and Elliot got out, he's been desperate to get outside ever since we got him here so we think maybe he was depressed in the shelter. We thought he wouldve tryed to go home and were just about to ring the shelter and see if I coudl find out where hsi old home was when he wanders back home.

So now the door is constantly locked, last night.... HE TORE A WHOLE OUT OF THE SCREEN IN HIS ROOM and went out all night, only to wander back thismorning and ask to come in.

I swear, I'll stick with my british shorthairs next time.

Maxy24

HEY that has nothing to do with him being Siamese *hurumph* :mad: (;))

But wow, I've never seen a cat tare through a screen to get out :yikes: You'll have to be extra diligent from now on until he looses interest in the great out doors. When we were taking Willie out on the leash he started trying to make breaks for it, that's why we stopped taking him out. It took about two weeks before he stopped trying. But if he had lived outside before he might try for longer. make sure everyone watches there surroundings before opening the doors and well I guess you have to keep your windows closed if he is in the room.

also try and make your inside more stimulating for him, do you have a cat tree? Make sure you play with him every day, I'd say at least two sessions a day, 10-15 minutes each depending on how frisky he is.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Tried with a few toys, he isn't overly interested, lookng out for a second hand cat tree atm so hopefully will have one within a couple of weeks, he's SO LOUD!

I guess he was an outside cat before but I really really don't want to do that again, I just couldnt put Panda through lockign him up constantly because he'd really hate me, I did bring him in every night and whenever we were away though. And sometimes he'd pull the stoppers off the doors tryign to get out.

We did set him up a box n his room, its a big box with differnt holes cute out of it and a few things hanging around on the inside but he doesn't have a lot of ineterst.
He loves people though, he yells at the top of his voice unless he's asleep or beng carried around, thats when he's the happiest.

Maxy24

I just love loud cats, I get quite frustrated when they don't answer me, as do they when I don't answer them. Neko used to be loud, until we got Willie, now Neko is quiet and Willie is loud (Neko meows for food and Willie meows for attention...which he always wants) I don't think I'll ever own another breed, but i will get my future ones from shelters I think. How long have you had Elliot?

mrose_s

BusterLove
About 4 weeks, we went to the shelter and donated Panda's stuff, couldn't help but go look at the cats and there is this 9 year old Siamese sitting there, greasy fur, cranky face, didn't want to be touched, didn't want to move.
We didn't want to do any impulse buy so we went away and thought about it for a few days then went back and got him. Well he isn't quite in the slightest, he LOVES cuddles, his fur isn't greasy now that he's got a home and he's so sweet.
I don't really have any connection with him, I like him, I care about him and I will help give him the best care possible for the rest of his life but there just isn't that special somethign that makes me love him.
I don't think I'll ever own a Siamese again but my mum and my sister relaly like them.

I've been researching breeds a bit more latley, always knew British Shorthairs were my favourite, but I like Maine Coons, Scottish Folds, Australian Mist's and Burmese's aswell now.
I don't think I was really ready for another cat as is but maybe in 6 months - a year I'll consider getting a Brit baby (already found my breeder) or I cold foster or soemthing.

Wow.....you probably couldn't shove my siamese out the door. But then again he's only ever been an inside cat. I wouldn't give up on siameses totally. They're really sweet cats and LOVE attention. Mine really wants nothing more than to sit in my lap. Though he does love feather toys and he used to love to play fetch. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! It's kind of hard to change a cat once they're set in their ways sometimes.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I do like him, he's so sweet, lives for human attention but its gonna tae a while for him to relise he's not going out. I'm going to build him a cat run in a couple of weeks, but I have to find a cheap avery in the paper.
I've never been particularily attracted to Siamese's as is, I like big heavy, quiet thug cats myself.
Thinking about asking for a Brit Kitty for my birthday, gives me plenty of time to organise everything, plus I want to be able to pay for my nexts cats vet, food, toys and accesories all myself.

Saintgirl

We have a cat who will shred window and door screens to get outside too, BUT you can go to a hardware store and buy pet proof screens so they can not get out. We have replaced all of our screens with this, and it wasn't much more expensive than the regular screening.

mjb

I had a cat that pushed the screen out of the window to get out. He didn't ever shred one, though.

We were moving into a new apartment, and we closed him in the back bedroom. We were on the second story of the apartment building, and he was still a kitten, less than a year old. When we were finished moving everthing in, we opened the bedroom door to let him explore, except he wasn't there. He had pushed the screen out and jumped 2 stories down. We went outside, and luckily, we found him. That was our first move of 7 with him, and his first year of 20 that he lived. I believe that cat lived out all his 9 lives, too.

Maxy24

I like big heavy, quiet thug cats myself
Oh, you got a modern Siamese (for some reason I always think Traditional even though they are not as common). See Traditional is what I have, Neko is anyway. Willie is in between. I used to hate modern ones but since getting Willie I've begun to really prefer the sleek body.

See here is traditional:

But I can't say he's quiet :D

mrose_s

BusterLove
He's gorgeous, gotta get some pics of Elliot soon, his back legs are too long and his head looks too small I think, but he still cuddles well and he's already sorted ot the dogs.

Picklepaige

Woah, I've never seen a cat tear out a screen! I personally think moggies (mixed breed cats) are the best! NEVER seen a purebred cat as unique and affectionate as my mutt cats! Not saying there aren't any, but I could never imagine myself having a purebred cat.

mrose_s

BusterLove
But still, Panda was only half british shorthair and still pretty big (his dad was huge... or who we suspect to be his dad) we called him our British Thug. My auntie has some very big Brits, after her huge blue boy died her black boy started growing and now he's massive.

This is one of the only ones I have to show his size, Buster is about kness height.He was about twice the size of the little fluffy dog.

And just because it was cute, this was right in the middle of a doorway/

Members online

No members online now.