what do you think?

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Hehehe- hey there RD!

Mordy- I absolutely agree with you that people like me are not in the majority- however, I wanted to point out that the rescue vs. breeder issue is *never* as cut and dried as people try to make it sound.

And I still feel that the best policy (or at least the most *realistic*) is to educate the general puppy-buying public about the best places to obtain an animal (be it shelter or breeder).

What this really is about is a simple lack of understanding- most people do less research in finding a new family member than they do buying a car. The general public still doesn't see anything wrong with pet stores, and thinks that backyard breeding to experience "the joy of having puppies," seems like a lot of fun. It never occurs to them that their b!tch might have trouble or die in labor, that there may be more puppies than homes, that raising puppies for eight weeks IS NOT FUN.

That's where it is our responsibility to come in and educate them. To teach about rescues, responsible breeders, the benefits of puppy kindergarten classes etc.

Once the demand for poorly-bred pet store animals is gone- so is the motivation for breeding. These people aren't in it because they love their breed, they're in it because they're making a good deal of money.

And while it's a pipe dream to believe that we will ever be able to completely end the pet overpopulation problem, education (at least to me), makes a TON more sense than telling people who are interested in breeding quality animals not to do so because there are "too many of breed x already." That's no way to go about *improving* a breed. Unfortunately, the people most likely to feel guilty, and thus decide NOT to pursue their dream, are the good breeders (or the people who would make good breeders), NOT the people making a living off of their breeding program.

I can guarantee that when my first homebred pups are sent to their new homes- should they not work out for ANY reason (even if it's simply that the family decides that the dog at 15 years of age, is simply no fun anymore), they will come back home to me. That's the position the breeder I obtained my two dogs from takes, and the position that most people I know personally involved in the show world take as well. We are also *all* very active in rescue as well. It's what you do when you love the breed.

EDIT: how the heck do you make signature pictures smaller??? This one's a beast!

R

rottiegirl

RED: That is not what you said.

THIS is what you said:
Once again, you didnt read ALL my posts. This is what I said on page ONE. My second post...

If you have been breeding for quite some time, then its fine. But if you are thinking about becoming a breeder of a popuar breed, then I dont think you should do it. We have enough breeders of certain breeds already.

Pick a rare breed.
You should read all my posts before forming opinions :rolleyes:

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
But RG, the popular breeds are the ones most in need of responsible breeders. Picking a rare breed continues to feed "customers" right to the mills and BYBers. Do you think the average pet owner is going to buy a ,say, Dandie Dinmont because they cannot get a Golden from an ethical breeder? Or do you think they'll pick a Golden out of the local newspaper? Do you think if they cannot get a Lab from an ethical breeder that they will go to the shelter? Or right back to that newspaper? Rare breeds are less likely to end up in shelters or rescue simply because due to a limited pet market, the only people breeding them are ethical breeders. It's the popular breeds that are in danger of ruin.

As I see it, "political correctness" is threatening the long term health of popular breeds even more than uncommon breeds. "Political correctness" is creating a bigger market for puppymillers and BYBers.

When good breeders are afraid to breed for fear of being labled puppymillers or the cause of the destruction of shelter dogs, we end up with only the people that do not care breeding and those self same people are the reason for the shelter and rescue populations in the first place!

There are a lot of aspects of purebred dogs that seem very callous. "Do not buy from a petshop." Then you think about what happens to those puppies and want to scream... but what is happening to those puppies' sires and dams is even worse and we must get rid of the market! Unfortunately, shelter dogs are going to pay the same price for human being's irresponsibility that the puppymill puppies are :( It is heartbreaking, but limiting ethical breeders is not the correct response to that tragedy.

Breeding is not bad in and of itself. We all need to get over that mindset. It is the indiscriminate breeding that results in large numbers of rescue dogs that is bad. It is the unaltered mixed breeds and pet quality dogs being allowed to create shelter dog that is bad.

Saje

Island dweller
Why? :confused: Usually people bump things when they have something relevant to add.

Members online

No members online now.