We have decided on a breed

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
So we have been talking about getting a second dog for some time and have been thinking through many different breeds but it turns out Teddy has picked the breed (we think) he would get along with best. Of course this still won't be for another few months at least but now that we know we can get a little more familiar with the breed. Learn things we don't already know. Anyway the mystery breed is......

GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER

Teddy has met a few at the park and he seems to always pair up with them and spends all his time playing with the GSP's They are both fast, they both are fond of water (GSP's not quite as much as Teddy but enough that we could get him used to the water at a young age) , Both love small critters :d and they just seem to have a kind of connection that hounds have with each other.

We are looking to rescue if we can find a young one around Teddy's age (1 1/2 years- 2 years)

Any tips on where to look in Pennsylvania

PS- we already have a name picked out lol It is going to be Jäger, It's the German word for hunter

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
gaddylovesdogs said:
Congratulations!! Someone here has a GSP, I can't remember his username :p

Brock :d lol Thats who has the GSP hehe. The most important thing is they have about the same energy level and they are about the same size so they can run and play :D I am really excited

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Wooo are you in for constant entertainment and energy! I know you already have that with Teddy but working with GPs I have learned they are definatly characters. Sweet hard working dogs with alot of energy definatly but a joy to be around. They are very smart too though a few I work with its hard to keep their attention sometimes.

I hope you get one though they are beautiful dogs.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
PixieSticksandTricks said:
Wooo are you in for constant entertainment and energy! I know you already have that with Teddy but working with GPs I have learned they are definatly characters. Sweet hard working dogs with alot of energy definatly but a joy to be around. They are very smart too though a few I work with its hard to keep their attention sometimes.

I hope you get one though they are beautiful dogs.

Yeah thats kinda why we are going with the GSP's :D lol It's sometimes hard to find ways to keep Teddy running to get all that energy out and it seems to mesh well with the GSP energy. They seem to have a lot of the same traits as TEddy. Easily distracted, very smart, full of energy. Thats TEddy all over haha

I agree that they are beautiful dogs :D

Jess, Thank you for that link :D

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My husband used to work with a person who bred and trained GSPs for hunting.

Gorgeous dogs. INSANE energy. They can go all day long. They also are like border collies in that they love to have a job to do, and can be a bit obsessive. But they do tend to be more fun-loving and less serious about it.

Good luck finding one! I'm sure Teddy will have a blast.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
One con I've found with GSHP's (i'd like to get one myself someday, so I'm not just bashing) is that they all seem to be very clingy and get insanely nervous when away from their families. Most dogs do to some extent, but so far, every GSP that comes in, even the regulars, shake and whine and howl the entire time they're boarded.

Ive been looking into the GSPs, there is a breeder nearby I want to go check out.

After I get the dogroom ready and the roommates are gone.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well we are fully prepared for the energy and finding things to keep him occupied physically and mentally as we have Teddy and for example.... I just took him out at 4:25 for a run for about 45 minutes of non stop fetch. It is now 6:34 and he has been bugging me for the past 20 minutes that he wants to go out. Bringing me my shoes, bringing me the "chuck it" bringing me more than one pair of shoes if I hide one pair lol. He will likely bother me again during american Idol to take him out for another run. The energy is endless lol and frankly I think he is getting a little bored with playing with me lol.

Clingy I can work with. Chances are when we get one I will not be working anyway so there will always be someone home except for if we go out in the evening so he will never have to be alone for long. Hopefully we will have a house so the howling won't be a problem lol. He will have his own room with toys and treats and a nice chair in front of the window to bask in the sun so hopefully he won't be too traumitized if he has to go in there lol

thanks for all the info everyone :D

Members online