Additional charge for intact dogs?

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's actually pretty laughable, from a logical standpoint.
Yes, and it reeks of BSL. In Tucson you can have your dog altered for free IF it's a pit bull.

I didn't qualify when I had an intact female shepherd, even though we were waaay under the poverty level at the time. Why? Well, she was the wrong breed of course! But it's okay if people have whoops litters as long as they're shepherd and chi mixes. As long as it's not a bully.

The weird thing is they didn't have an income cap on it either. So I could have been making $100,000 a year and still had my bully altered for free.

If it was really about lowering the overall population of unwanted dogs, there would be spay neuter assistance for all breeds and mixes.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Well to be fair the rate of compliance for licensing any pets in a lot of cities is pretty abysmal, regardless of the cost or reproductive status of the pet.
I know this wasn't clear about this (like... at all, so sorry for that, lol), but that was kind of my point. When I said compliance is terrible I meant in general not just for intact dogs. They can't enforce licensing at $5, let alone get people with intact dogs to pay $50. The idea that they're going to "promote" spay neuter this way is just laughable. So why do they do it? Because it sits well with an agenda, despite being of no use to actual dogs and owners.

SpringerLover

Yes, and it reeks of BSL. In Tucson you can have your dog altered for free IF it's a pit bull.

I didn't qualify when I had an intact female shepherd, even though we were waaay under the poverty level at the time. Why? Well, she was the wrong breed of course! But it's okay if people have whoops litters as long as they're shepherd and chi mixes. As long as it's not a bully.

The weird thing is they didn't have an income cap on it either. So I could have been making $100,000 a year and still had my bully altered for free.

If it was really about lowering the overall population of unwanted dogs, there would be spay neuter assistance for all breeds and mixes.
I don't understand. This is a pit bull and Rottweiler specific rescue. They are working to reduce the number of dogs they'd be taking in.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I don't understand. This is a pit bull and Rottweiler specific rescue. They are working to reduce the number of dogs they'd be taking in.
Oh! I missed the part where you said it was privately funded by the rescue. :eek: In that case it makes sense. In Tucson it was funded by the county, which made it have that BSL stink.

Saeleofu

:hail::hail::hail:

I use a breeder vet. She's 100% fantastic, has done my dogs right every time. She sometimes gives me discounts and while her prices aren't the lowest out there, they're extremely reasonable and for her amount of experience and expertise, it's a bargain.
Would this be the same vet I just applied to? :popcorn:

(Side note: I forgot to put that we did a LOT of breeding stuff at the clinic I used to work at in my resume :/ )

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've never heard of a vet clinic charging more for an intact animal. That just sounds...absurd to me. It is normally the low income people who have intact dogs simply due to the fact that they can't afford to have them altered (not because they are choosing to NOT have them altered, if that makes sense), and I'd rather get those dogs vaccinated and taken care of than not.

Low cost spay/neuter is what encourages people to alter...not pricier vaccines.

Well, and it doesn't even make any sense to me why this would be something veterinarians choose to do. Like, I totally don't get it, we aren't regulatory bodies.

It's my job to inform clients of what I think the risks/benefits of any given procedure are, discuss the issue with them, explain why I think one choice might be better, etc. but not to try to socially engineer their choices. People make choices I don't necessarily agree with all the time for a wide variety of reasons, but I'm not the choice police. The more I think about it, the weirder I think it is.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh! I missed the part where you said it was privately funded by the rescue. :eek: In that case it makes sense. In Tucson it was funded by the county, which made it have that BSL stink.
Honestly, I get it depending on the area. Some areas are totally over saturated with pit bulls in shelters and the vast majority of those dogs won't be adopted.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You're lucky to have a choice of vets lol! Ours are farm vets... But I've never ever heard of charges dictated by genitalia!!!!!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've never heard of vets doing this... seems weird. And of course odd. You can obviously tell if a male is neutered or not but if I popped Pepper in front of somebody, how would you know if you're supposed to charge me extra or not? Weird.

Saeleofu

I've never heard of vets doing this... seems weird. And of course odd. You can obviously tell if a male is neutered or not but if I popped Pepper in front of somebody, how would you know if you're supposed to charge me extra or not? Weird.
Even then, what about vasectomized males?

*blackrose

I don't know about a low cost place that doesn't keep records, but at least in a "regular" clinic they'd ask about sex on their info sheet. Nice to know if you have an intact female or not when you're trying to decide if she's in heat or if something bad is going on. Lol

Brattina88

That's so weird, I've never heard of it, either. I've heard of liscenses being more expensive, but only through Chaz. It would depend on my reasons for not having my dog speutered... But my first reaction is no, I wouldn't pay it. I'd find another vet.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't know about a low cost place that doesn't keep records, but at least in a "regular" clinic they'd ask about sex on their info sheet. Nice to know if you have an intact female or not when you're trying to decide if she's in heat or if something bad is going on. Lol
Yeah, but let's say you're making an appointment and you discover it's more $$ for the appointment and for vaccinations and stuff if you have an intact dog... if they ask you if your bitch is intact or not, and you know saying "yes" is going to cost you more money... are you going to be honest?

Also on the subject of records, my old vet clinic has Auggie down in their records as being intact. He hasn't had balls since he was eight months old. And somehow Payton who first came to them when he was 13 weeks old is down as being neutered. what what what

RBark

Got Floof?
It's been my experience that the extra charges are a good way to convince people to spay/neuter their animals. The rescue I work with just tells them that it's cheaper in the long term, and offers a low cost spay/neuter solution that basically pays for itself after a couple visits. Not to mention all the other advantages, but the wallet is where most people make the decision.

This is the average person, not the average Chaz person. I know most of you would not factor this into your decision. I've seen many people change their mind about spaying/neutering after explaining the financial advantage to doing so, small as it may be.

*blackrose

Yeah, but let's say you're making an appointment and you discover it's more $$ for the appointment and for vaccinations and stuff if you have an intact dog... if they ask you if your bitch is intact or not, and you know saying "yes" is going to cost you more money... are you going to be honest?

Also on the subject of records, my old vet clinic has Auggie down in their records as being intact. He hasn't had balls since he was eight months old. And somehow Payton who first came to them when he was 13 weeks old is down as being neutered. what what what
I guess I think of low cost clinics not having a building - more like vaccine clinics at, say, TSC. Do they take all your information like that, or just briefly examine, then poke?

Saeleofu

I guess I think of low cost clinics not having a building - more like vaccine clinics at, say, TSC. Do they take all your information like that, or just briefly examine, then poke?
I'm pretty sure they HAVE to take your information.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Are these only low cost clinics we're talking about? I thought Fran said her vet charges more for intact dogs... I thought we were talking about just vets in general doing this.

*blackrose

Are these only low cost clinics we're talking about? I thought Fran said her vet charges more for intact dogs... I thought we were talking about just vets in general doing this.
That's what I was talking about low cost wise. Other people have discussed regular vets doing it as well.

I suppose my point is if your routine vet stipulated cost based on alter status, it would be hard to hide versus a walk in vaccine clinic who will only see your dog briefly once. (Females being easier to hide that they're intact versus males. ;))

Members online

No members online now.