Swimmers

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I want to get Hyia a really good swimsuit for Christmas. THis is a hard time of year to find such a thing. She swims laps many times a week and needs a suit that is tough but appropriate for a 12 yr old. Does anyone know a company that would be a good place to start looking they could recommend?
THis has to be a one piece, tankini's are out. She hates them with a passion. She wears them out so fast it isnt' funny.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
oh my thanks I like this one a lot. IT seems very appropriate for her age and won't break me either.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/30983.htm?color=33318

THat was great. Thank you!!!!!!!!:D Just what I wanted for her.

I thought about this one but the price is a little steep and for what she does the straps are a bit iffy. I need this one to last more than a couple months.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/larg...m/graphics/product_images/pTSA-11626754dt.jpg

Maybe I will compile a list and let her choose. No one says it has to be a surprise.

Doberluv

That IS a nice one. I swim laps and I like a suit that is comfortable, where the straps stay put and which dries quickly. At the YMCA where I swim, they have a centrifuge thing that spins your suit almost dry. It's very cool.

I have a suit that is two pieces and the bottom has a very short little skirt thing. For me, it looks better. But it will give some "drag" if someone is trying to make good time. LOL. But it stays on and works fine for me. But for a younger gal, I think what you found would look perfect. It's great that she likes to swim. It is such a good exercise and has always been my favorite....easy on the joints and just plain fun.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
SHe is up to 200 laps now. She loves the water. SHe has trouble running and it is an issue in gym. She came home one day saying gravity was her problem, in the water she can do summersaults, and swim easy peasy but not so on land..so it must be gravity that gives her grief.:rofl1: Whatever works, I don't care as long as she has found something that helps her cope and gives her exercise. The ymca was awesome about giving us a membership that was truly doable in our income. We have an incredibly nice one.

Thanks again for the help. THat was better than anything I had found and very reasonable.

Doberluv

200 laps? Is this in a 25 yd pool? 72 laps is a mile. (from one end to the other counting as a lap, not down and back)That's nearly 3 miles and so many laps that nobody swims that many in one session...not even competitive swimmers. Is this what she's telling you or did you watch her? LOL. When I swim...when I'm feeling ambitious, I swim 1/2 mile...36 laps and it takes me about 20 minutes....I'm going along moderately, not very fast....use to swim a mile in about 20-30 minutes when I swam on a master's team at the pool where I taught.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
She's counting it one way, and it's a regular sized pool. SHe does half under water and half on top, over a 3 hr period. I haven't watched her do all of them.

Doberluv

If it's the Y, then it's probably a 25 yd. pool. Holy cow! Three hours of lap swimming. I wish I had that gumption. I'd be so fit. lol. Never heard of anyone swimming that many laps at a time. She's going to get fit as a fiddle in short order I'll bet.

Since I was very young, that's how I was. I spent all day at the pool we belonged to. I am as comfortable in water as I am on land. More so. Like she says, gravity can hurt. lol. I taught myself how to swim when I was about 5 yrs old, then took lessons, then swim team. I taught my kids to swim when they were babies. Emily could swim before she could walk....doggie paddle. And she learned to go away from me and come back to the edge and hang on. That was for safety in case she ever fell into a pool. Of course, being a major nervous nelly about water, I always supervised like mad.:p Then she became a competitive swimmer. She's very good.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
She takes breaks does summer saults come back, plays in the river, comes back, all I know is it is helping relieve her stress and anxiety, giving her a place where she gets praise from the adults around her (a swim coach from the high school was the one that gave her the goal of 200 saying that was what her kids did as a warm up so Hyia made it her goal) and it gives me a break from her, I love her, but it's a small apt and we need some space too. Our Y has a lazy river, that she loves, a water park in the summer, a great slide inside, and a lovely track upstairs. THere is a 0 on out grade for small children with water jets too. The first time I took my grandson as soon as he saw that his hesitation was gone. After our first summer there he was all over that pool. He still won't part with the vest to take the test, even tho I tell him he doesnt' need it, but when he is ready he will. THere is no pressure from me. I just want him to have fun.

Hyia is developing a pretty good set of lungs with all her underwater swimming, she loves that best. THe girl should have been a seal.

I personally turn blue. THat water maybe 80 degrees and warm for everyone else, but I freeze. IT's the hot sauna for me. don't really like getting wet and cold. Notice little children's lips turn blue too if they are in too long. Doesnt' seem to bother Hyia a bit.

monkeys23

I thought about this one but the price is a little steep and for what she does the straps are a bit iffy. I need this one to last more than a couple months.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/larg...m/graphics/product_images/pTSA-11626754dt.jpg

Maybe I will compile a list and let her choose. No one says it has to be a surprise.
I always got my practice suits on clearance at sports authority here in town. I'd get a speedo like that for like $30. I MUCH prefer the thinner straps. The thicker ones drive me totally nuts.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
. Then thinner it is. I know she would flip over the first one with the stars, since this is her thing I want her to have one that pleases her, I thought the thicker ones would be more comfortable but if the thinner ones are than that is a good tip. SHe's a big girl for 12, bigger than me, I am narrow in the shoulders and everything is forever sliding off, she is not. She is at a very difficult in between age to try to find something that is appropriate, at least we both agree on no plunging or high cut, that hasn't entered the picture yet. She just needs something comfortable and long lasting that will take 3 or 4 times a week wear.

I don't know anything about this so I am really grateful for advice from people that do.

monkeys23

Haha, at 12 I was the height I am now (5'7") and that was when I got my first two piece. It was a sports bra type top and totally A-okay as far as coverage regular bikini bottom. The sales lady said a lot of swimmer used that type for practice. I still had it when I started swim team in college and only replaced it when the bottom got too stretched out from using the suit dryer thingy in the locker room. :)

The stars should do just great. Its way easier to train in a one piece. :)

Doberluv

She takes breaks does summer saults come back, plays in the river, comes back, all I know is it is helping relieve her stress and anxiety, giving her a place where she gets praise from the adults around her (a swim coach from the high school was the one that gave her the goal of 200 saying that was what her kids did as a warm up so Hyia made it her goal) and it gives me a break from her, I love her, but it's a small apt and we need some space too. Our Y has a lazy river, that she loves, a water park in the summer, a great slide inside, and a lovely track upstairs. THere is a 0 on out grade for small children with water jets too. The first time I took my grandson as soon as he saw that his hesitation was gone. After our first summer there he was all over that pool. He still won't part with the vest to take the test, even tho I tell him he doesnt' need it, but when he is ready he will. THere is no pressure from me. I just want him to have fun.

Hyia is developing a pretty good set of lungs with all her underwater swimming, she loves that best. THe girl should have been a seal.

I personally turn blue. THat water maybe 80 degrees and warm for everyone else, but I freeze. IT's the hot sauna for me. don't really like getting wet and cold. Notice little children's lips turn blue too if they are in too long. Doesnt' seem to bother Hyia a bit.
That sounds fantastic! She has a lot of fun things to do and lots of exercise. You're such a good Gran to provide all that for her. And of course...everyone needs a break from kids, no matter how great they are. Everyone needs a little alone time. It sounds like a really good thing she's doing.

80 degrees is pretty typical for a pool. When you compare it to our normal temp of 98.6 (or so) it's not all that warm. Of course, when you're swimming hard, it does sometimes feel a little tad bit too warm. Kids are so tough against cold. As a kid, I use to swim in Puget Sound by the hour. It's some of the coldest water anywhere. lol.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Aren't they fun? ALmost makes me want to get in the water. I do not like cool water at all.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I called the company with a question about size. THey gave me a heads up that On Thanksgiving through the following Monday they will be on sale so she might just get a couple. SHe wants the speedo jacket too so that will be fine for her birthday. Yay..mission accomplished, and she is happy. I think they are cute too. I am absolutely no good at spending money and afraid of making mistakes I can't afford so thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.