New USDA/ APHIS rules regulating breeding in America

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Until I saw this on my FB, I hadn't heard anything about it. I searched chaz and found nothing. Surprising as commenting closed yesterday on the proposed new legislation and it will affect most of us.

If you breed any animal.. dogs, cats, rabbits, exotics whatever. If you are a rescuer, or how you buy your next animal as breeders i in America won't be flying them and you won't be able to meet part way to get it either.

http://www.saova.org/news/APHIS/USDA_Rule_Flyer_June_2012.pdf

Sadly it's too late to comment on it. But it's pretty super scary if it goes through. Lot of people will be giving up breeding and rescues may go under.

http://tnpetlawnews.blogspot.ca/2012/06/this-article-originally-appeared-in-may.html

Everything I read doesn't say when the final result will be known on whether this passes or not. Anyone have any idea?

Toller_08

That's horrible. I haven't really been around the internet much lately and had no idea that this was going on. I'm sure it was probably posted even on FB or something but I must have skimmed past it. Too bad I hadn't known prior so I could have sent my reasons against in to them. I really, really hope this doesn't pass.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
The breed clubs everywhere have been up in arms over this, I have sent a letter to my congressmen and I still urge everyone to! I will still be breeding, even if this passes but it will make things more difficult than they should be for a breeder who is spending thousands of dollars already to try and produce the best puppies they can.

Pops2

as with most laws the BYB & puppy mill turds won't be affected much if at all

I am surprised this has not gotten more press. It's pinned on a rabbit board I lurk on. The whole thing just seems like a very bad idea.
Me too! This is the first time that I've heard about it - nothing from dog friends on Facebok or anything. If people don't know about it, then nothing can really be done. :(

Does the USDA have the authority/ability to really regulate/enforce these rules? If, as a breeder, you're not following the rules, how likely is it that you'll get caught and/or punished?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Seems like good news if the comment period was extended. Here's hoping.

From what I've read they'll use less of their budget in future to regulate breeding 'facilities' most of us would find skeazy.. and instead focus on harassing and going after hobby breeders for non compliance.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Does this apply to rescue organizations as well? It mentioned rehoming, but I wasn't sure if that was just private rehomes or if it was organizations as well.. If so, how is transport supposed to work?

Also, it talked about breeders not being able to take dogs back. Did I read that right? If so, that is just freaking ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.