Returned from vet.. also question about weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
That's true, Yoko. But if you have a weight limit to worry about hopefully you've not gotten a breed/dog that will get bigger than that weight limit.
yeah that bites. i wanted a sheltie because I knew i would probably spend most of my life renting. a sheltie shouldnt get over 30lbs and 16 inches tops.
Ruckus is 41lbs and 19-20 inches. so now I am pretty screwed with renting. and of course, i had to go out and get the second dog! LOL

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well....

here's my two cents

One of the MODS has made it perfectly clear that this new member will be treated as new until they prove they are a troll or an issue they will remain a member. so I think we really need to drop the whole "ON the other forum you did this". Until it becomes an issue here it's not an issue here if tha tmakes sense lol

as for the breed of dog and where it came from. My Teddy came from an amish farm before I joined this site.I didn't know better... but I wouldn't change it for anything in the whole wide world. so I won't fault anyone who doesn't KNKOW better for getting a dog from sources "chaz" deems to be WRONG. this is the perfect opportunity to teach and help.

IF they don't take the help and cause issues... well that is THEIR problem and let them suffer the consequences. not eveyrone is BORN knowing better and we ALL think we KNOW things and are right when in fact we are totally incorrect.

As for the dog... I might have missed it. do you KNOW what the breed mix is?

C

Crush

If you spread mis information (which is not the same as an opinion) you will likely not be popular on forum.
Your right.

The St. Bernard doesn't drool and is an active dog. That is the correct information for any perspective mainstream dog owner inquiring about that breed.

:lol-sign:

I got my puppy from a BYB for $375.

He was 3 months when we got him and they claimed he weighed 5lbs.

3 weeks later (today) at the vet, they weighed him in at 14lbs.

Right now he weights 14lbs and is 3 months and 3 weeks old.

I heard heavier dogs can scratch hardwood floors.

The puppy was really good at the vet. There was a big lab/shepard mix and wow the girl had to really PULL him and try to come him down cause he would bark and go nuts on the other animals including our puppy.

Our little guy was laying down by our feet and then when the doctor came out, he would hide under the chair hehe.. never made a sound. He stood up perfectly for examination. Very well behaved. Even the cat too.

our doggy has a such a good temperment. He's so obedient. He can give high 5's now like a champ.

He's already trained not to go into certain rooms (like our bedroom). He's not allowed in. So he'll automatically stay at the door.

The cat was trying to take swipes at the dog becuase they are beginning to play, but dogs can rough house above a cats comfort level so we needed to declaw the cat to protect the dog.

The cat is here on the bed recovering. I dont know how they sowed him up without banadages or bleeding. The cat is a house cat. Not allowed outside the house.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
oh you made the video! you are now famous... in a pretty horrible way. on a few dog forums.
Yeah it was not me that made the video, it was the OP... I'm a 17 year old female university undergrad, not a middle aged man with hair loss and a tendency to believe everything wikipedia says...

The cat is here on the bed recovering. I dont know how they sowed him up without banadages or bleeding. The cat is a house cat. Not allowed outside the house.
My most recent cat to be declawed did not come home with bandages... 15 years ago they did... the procedure has changed a lot... mine were all moving around the same day and forget keeping them from jumping, haha... mine would have none of that!

Dekka

Just try me..
Your right.

The St. Bernard doesn't drool and is an active dog. That is the correct information for any perspective mainstream dog owner inquiring about that breed.

:lol-sign:

I got my puppy from a BYB for $375.

He was 3 months when we got him and they claimed he weighed 5lbs.

3 weeks later (today) at the vet, they weighed him in at 14lbs.

Right now he weights 14lbs and is 3 months and 3 weeks old.

I heard heavier dogs can scratch hardwood floors.

The puppy was really good at the vet. There was a big lab/shepard mix and wow the girl had to really PULL him and try to come him down cause he would bark and go nuts on the other animals including our puppy.

Our little guy was laying down by our feet and then when the doctor came out, he would hide under the chair hehe.. never made a sound. He stood up perfectly for examination. Very well behaved. Even the cat too.

our doggy has a such a good temperment. He's so obedient. He can give high 5's now like a champ.

He's already trained not to go into certain rooms (like our bedroom). He's not allowed in. So he'll automatically stay at the door.

The cat was trying to take swipes at the dog becuase they are beginning to play, but dogs can rough house above a cats comfort level so we needed to declaw the cat to protect the dog.

Wow anger much.

Please read whole posts. I asked if you knew that not ALL drool.. it has to do with the shape of the flews. Same as in Newfs, you can get ones with 'dry' mouths.

Things don't have to be black or white. Not all JRTs are active and energetic. For example Dekka is speedy speedy on the agility course but would make a great apartment dog. She went to work with me today at the university and lay on a chair beside me as I worked in the lab.

Its fine to have opinions (don't we all lol) But to state your opinion as fact with out info to back it up, esp when it goes against common sense.

If you keep your dog's nails short it doesn't matter how big they are they can't scratch floors.

I am glad your dog is good. But make sure you dont assume it will stay that way with out effort. Some times the very obedient and 'calm' ones are shy.

C

Crush

Yeah it was not me that made the video, it was the OP... I'm a 17 year old female university undergrad, not a middle aged man with hair loss and a tendency to believe everything wikipedia says...
Let me see a picture of you so I can make fun of your physical appearance.

Proof positive that i'm not the problem or the one causing issues.

Maybe some of you should take responsibility for your own behavior.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
They don't typically use sutures on declaws anymore. Most vets will use a laser to amputate the toe up to the first knuckle which also cauterizes the blood vessels as it goes and then they use a special glue instead of sutures to close the wounds.

It doesn't sound like you did much research on declawing before you got it done. And honestly your reasoning is not valid in my mind even though i have a dog that had $2000 eye surgery to repair a cat scratch, it was my dog's fault and the cat was protecting itself. I didn't demand the cat get declawed since she got cornered. Give the cat enough spaces to escape away from the dog and you'll be fine, they should ideally have a cat tree or other apparatus to climb up on to in order to get away from the dog and there should be no areas where the cat can get cornered in. That is how a cat and dog can coexist peacefully without brutal mutilation, and yes it is mutilation. I'll only ever condone it if it is a severe case that is between life with no claws and death, and those rarely come up.

Dekka

Just try me..
My parents always declawed cats.. till the last one.. he would sit like a rabbit and not let his front paws touch the ground. He was on narcotic patches for months, and acted like his feet hurt for nearly a year.

Their new cat they trim her claws and they are round little nubbies that can't mark or catch on anything.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I've also had a cat that we declawed.

would I cut my finger tips off? no but I also wouldn't remove my husbands balls yet I have a dog who had his removed :)

I'm kind of scared of cats because of their claws so it's unlikely I would ever own a HOUSE cat again. a barn cat when we get our farm? perhaps. make me wrong in your eyes? that's ok. buying and owning Teddy made me wrong in the opinion of others but I wouldnt' change it for anything in the world and NO ONE will convince me it was wrong :)

Lots of people disagree with docking and cropping and even neuter and spay and lots of people don't. it's really personal preference and neither party is wrong. just a difference of opinion. For cats... if declawing mean the difference between life or death in a shelter or getting adopted and declawed... I'd choose the latter

C

Crush

And honestly your reasoning is not valid in my mind even though i have a dog that had $2000 eye surgery to repair a cat scratch, it was my dog's fault and the cat was protecting itself. .
Or someone can say it was your fault for not declawing your cat when you have a dog in the house. That's another way of looking at it. After all, animals will be animals and you are the human looking after them.

Again, just another way of looking at it. The cats are not humans. Declawing is safe, effective, and the cat does not even realize he no longer has claws. This is why almost every vet performs this procedure and is so common.

Dekka

Just try me..
I agree sparks.. BUT its so easy to trim the nail back so there is no WAY the cat can scratch anything. If you have bad arthritis or bad eyesight ok.. But a normal healthy person can trim a cats nails ever week (or even twice a week) and save the cat a lot of pain.

You can't compare it with docking, as that is done before full nerve development. And dogs don't walk on their tails (lol last time I checked anyway)

I don't say NEVER declaw. I do say at least try trimming first.

Dekka

Just try me..
Or someone can say it was your fault for not declawing your cat when you have a dog in the house. That's another way of looking at it. After all, animals will be animals and you are the human looking after them.

Again, just another way of looking at it. The cats are not humans. Declawing is safe, effective, and the cat does not even realize he no longer has claws. This is why almost every vet performs this procedure and is so common.
Ok well I have to respond to the last one... NO there are increasing vets who WILL NOT do this anymore.

AMVA
AVMA policy

Declawing of Domestic Cats
(Oversight: AWC; EB 03/2003, revised 04/2009)

Declawing of domestic cats should be considered only after attempts have been made to prevent the cat from using its claws destructively or when its clawing presents a zoonotic risk for its owner(s).

The AVMA believes it is the obligation of veterinarians to provide cat owners with complete education with regard to feline onychectomy. The following points are the foundation for full understanding and disclosure regarding declawing:

* Scratching is a normal feline behavior, is a means for cats to mark their territory both visually and with scent, and is used for claw conditioning ("husk" removal) and stretching activity.
* Owners should provide suitable implements for normal scratching behavior. Examples are scratching posts, cardboard boxes, lumber or logs, and carpet or fabric remnants affixed to stationary objects. Implements should be tall or long enough to allow full stretching, and be firmly anchored to provide necessary resistance to scratching. Cats should be positively reinforced in the use of these implements.
* Appropriate claw care (consisting of trimming the claws every 1 to 2 weeks) should be provided to prevent injury or damage to household items.
* Surgical declawing is not a medically necessary procedure for the cat in most cases. While rare in occurrence, there are inherent risks and complications with any surgical procedure including, but not limited to, anesthetic complications, hemorrhage, infection, and pain. If surgical onychectomy is performed, appropriate use of safe and effective anesthetics and perioperative analgesics for an appropriate length of time are imperative. Pain management is necessary (not elective) and required for this procedure. Multimodal pain management is recommended, and there should be a written aftercare plan. The surgical alternative of tendonectomy is not recommended.
* Temporary synthetic nail caps are available as an alternative to onychectomy to prevent human injury or damage to property. Plastic nail caps are usually applied every 4 to 6 weeks.
I am still open to having it done. But my vets no longer declaw the same as they no longer dock or crop.

To the OP.. you could just trim your cats nails back.. just like you will have to trim your dog's nails. (only its easier to trim a cats nail all the way back to the root) Then there is also no risk of cat clawing dog.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Give the cat enough spaces to escape away from the dog and you'll be fine...
Not necessarily. My cat will walk up to Juno just because he can and start causing trouble, hissing and batting his paws at her. Juno ignores him, he's got the entire house to "escape" to, but he's the one that won't leave the dog alone... he's declawed so I don't care that he's such a jerk to her, but Juno would be quite massacred if he had claws.

But anyway.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't know... last time I grabbed a cats paw I got the sh!t scratched out of me. SCARS were left lol. maybe that's why I have a bit of a phobia of cats claws. post traumatic stress lol. I will NEVER own a kitten... they scare me the MOST as they have no idea when to use their claws and when not to. I remember a friends cat had kittens when we were in elementary school and I was standing in the kitchen one day and the kitten decided to climb up my legs and up my back with her claws.

*shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online