Please give me some advice

chi84

Hi,

Our family has never had an indoor dog. We recently met a 5 mo old chihuaha (sp?) that has had a rough time finding a good committed home. My uncle has him right now. The problem and only problem he has had is he is not house trained, he will pee and poop where he feels like it.

Now my understanding is that he's a puppy and he needs a committed home that will give him the time and love he needs and someone who will house train him. I am willing to do that. I'm wondering how to go about it? Some of my friends have told me that once they're 5 mo old there is no house training them. Is that true?

Can someone point me in the right direction of a book or a very informative website that could give me instructions since I don't know where to begin?

He is a very lovely dog and I would love to offer him a home.

Thank you very much!

Kudos to you for wanting to give that little furguy a great forever home!

I don't think his age is necessarily a factor in successfully housetraining him. Basically you should treat him just as if he is an 8 wk old pup just starting out. Needless to say "free run" of the house will be a definite no-no until he is reliable.

The methods will differ depending on whether or not someone will be home with him the majority of the time. Either way, crate training is a super tool many people use successfully. It needs to be only big enough for the dog to stand, lay down and turn around. Most dogs will not go where they sleep. A crate is great for at night, when you aren't home or when you are but are busy and keep an eye on your furpal.

If yes, then the key will be consistently taking him outside once you figure out his schedule. Generally pups will need to go shortly after eating/drinking - 10-20 minutes afterwards. When he is successful praise, praise, praise!!!!!

If no, then the crate is really important. The general rule of thumb for how long pups can hold it is 1 hr for ea. month plus 1 hr. (except right after eating/drinking) 5 mos=6 hrs. The 1st thing in the morning when you get up is to take him right outside to go and the same thing when you first get home when he's been crated.

If you are home you can tether him to you with a leash in the beginning so that he is always with you and when you see the telltale signs that he needs to go you'll be able to bring him out right away. If you catch him having an accident clap your hands and say NO to hopefully interrupt him, scoop him up & take him right outside to finish up. Again, when he does go outside, praise, praise, praise. If you don't catch him in the act do not scold him - he won't have any idea why you are even if he acts as tho he does - he'll just be responding to your being upset without knowing why. Make sure you get a cleaning product made specifically for cleaning these messes so that all of the scent is removed.

Housetraining is not something that will happen quickly but with patience and consistency I am sure you will be successful. :)

chi84

Thanks Poodlesmom!!

Your reply will definitely help us out!

I may seem a bit naive but what are the tell tale signs that he needs to go to the bathroom?

Usually you will see them start to sniff, looking for the "perfect" spot to go or starting to squat. After you get him, start keeping track of when he usually goes - it's not perfect but it will give you an idea of what his typical schedule is and you can try to time his take-outs to coincide.

Members online

No members online now.