Eek! non expected puppies! help please people!

The rescue I work with does not abort puppies. We take on the responsibility of keeping the pups healthy and finding them good homes when it is time.
Jazzy, you must do what feels right in your heart. You are taking on a HUGE responsibility and it sounds like you are ready and willing to follow through with it. I commend you for that. I wish you and your girl much luck and good health through the birth of these pups.

Kase

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice about whelping ect but I do not have the experience. I just wanted to say good luck with it all and I hope you've found some of these posts helpful :).

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
LOL@ there are always people that want kids even if the parents don't.... yeah that's why so many kids end up living in group homes (shelters if you will ;) ) until they are 18 and old enough to be kicked out on their butts. ther are lots of unwanted children in group homes... it's not really that different. They may not get put to sleep but since they don't have true guardians and guidance... many end up on drugs and living on the street when they get kicked out of the group home at 18.... and unfortunately that sometimes leads to death.

Anyway.... Good luck with your puppies and there is TONS of great advice on this forum. Especially in the stickies. read them carefully... and often.

Saje

Island dweller
I deal with adoption a lot Sparks and there are very long waiting lists for people wanting to adopt. Even older children. It's definitely harder but there are still plenty of parents who are out there. Especially after they've been on a waiting list for a decade or two. Seriously. I think it's more that the children aren't available for adoption or it's just too difficult. It's so sad really. So many good homes go without children and so many children suffer. :( The older they get the harder it is to adopt. Something should be done while they are still young and can be given the most chances.

Maxy24

look here it's a sticky by Redyre about whelping boxes. This is one she made and used PVC pipe for the bars around the edge:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20647&highlight=whelping+box

and I'm REALLY sorry if I was harsh at all, I didn't mean to be. Here we end up scaring away members a lot and It's kind of angering because they end up leaving when they really need help. I like that we are a passionate group and do like that we can debate but when it turns personal and people start to yell or argue without respecting the others it's very annoying. I hope we can all help you now that you have chosen to go through with the birth and raising of the puppies. I will do what I can to help, but like I've said I've never gone through this myself and am just going by what I've learned here. I'm very glad you sought advice here, this really is a very knowledgeable group of people!

Thanks,I was a little confuzed.Hehe,My boyfreind Laim is going AWOL trying to make a whelping box,he's got glue in his hair and Cookie is playing fetch with the plastic pipes with Samson,Its quite a sight.
Ima go back and watch now :popcorn:

Cheza

I can't offer much advice other than to keep in close contact with your vet, but I wish you the best of luck!

otch1

Hi Jazzy... my apologies if I'm repeating previous posts. Haven't read thru all. You have a litter due from an unaltered rescue and need delivery information, if I read correctly. Sounds like you're already working on the whelping box. Make sure there are no abrupt corners, as a puppy can be wedged into them without mom knowing. Have a second smaller box with heat lamps ready. If for any reason this is an unusually large litter and a puppy is rejected, you'll want to have formula, a bottle and size appropriate nipples from your vet or feed store incase you have to feed a pup. Also several heating pads. You'll want to get a box of surgical gloves in case you have to assist in any way or break open a sack that mom may neglect. Have your vet explain this to you and show you how it's done. Know how to cut an umbilical cord, as well, incase mom has trouble. You may also want to pick up a muzzle. If for any reason things go wrong during delivery, a puppy is stuck or mom's in distress, you may have great difficulty getting her into car for emergency vet trip. She will not be herself during this period. You need to be able to safely handler her if you get in trouble. You're going to want to give mom added nutrional support during nursing. They can drop a lot of weight and added kibble often isn't enough. Talk to your vet about appropriate feeding program. Learn how to check mom for any signs of mastitis. Look this up on line and talk to your vet. It can be very painful for her, toxic to the puppies and you'll need to know what to do immediatly as far as treating the mom and how to care for puppies, should this happen. Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row, so you give mom and pups the best chance of a successful, stressfree delivery.

bubbatd

I imagine somewhere you've read about the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ...Rutherford and Neil . It was my puppy whelping and raising bible . Good luck !!! We're here for you !

Hmm, the book may be within my bookcase somewhat.^.^

Also, If more than one puppy was to be rejected(god forbid) Could I feed more than one puppy together,by taping two specialized puppy bottles that you mentioned earlier together?
It would make bottle feeding time more easier.

otch1

Yes... lol, just wanted to make sure you're prepared for any possible "glitch", so you get thru it smoothly. More than likely, all will go well and these will be supplies you can donate (unused) to an animal shelter when you're Shep is spayed and the pups are in good homes. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.