How soon would you add another dog?

monkeys23

Well I'm currently seriously looking into fostering for a Malamute rescue and I'm saving up for a future Malinois puppy, so unless something really ridiculous happened in life those plans would stay in place.

I can't even contemplate one of them running away. I'd be so messed up over that and frantic trying to find them.

Lily will never ever be rehomed. We've been homeless together before and we'll do it again if we have to. If anything happens to me she'll go to my mom and go with her everywhere. :)

If by some crazy act of the divine I found a home with people/a person with whom Scout clicked and who could spend all day every day with her and was equipped to deal with her issues, etc... well then yes I'd have to get over myself and let her go because it would ease a great deal of her anxiety about life in general to never have to be left alone and to be someone's sole focus. I would be really upset about it, but if it meant she'd have better quality of life I'd do it. Odds of finding that are... well kinda like stumbling across a unicorn.

If something happened to Lily *knockonwood* I would be such a huge trainwreck. Like there are no words for how messed up I would be. I'd have to step up my plans to foster asap though because Scout freaks if she's left alone. Usually she is okay if there is another dog around. Usually... But yeah I wouldn't really have a choice in that situation.

If something happened to Scout like an accident or health issue or her mental issues just become too much for her to live with (I really, really hope it never ever comes to that)... I'd probably still foster a Malamute while saving up for my Malinois pup. It would help me realistically know what I'll be paying to feed a not so thrifty dog and keep me in the two dog game. Plus it'd give Lily a housemate to play with. It would have to be a male in either case though. Lily would prefer to have me to herself, but I like having more than one dog around and she does enjoy having a playmate despite being a spoiled princess lol. My timeline for getting a Malinois pup is looking like 3yrs. I hope its sooner, but thats a large enough time frame to comfortably comit to fostering in the interim. :)

Toller_08

As soon as I could most likely. Not like the next day or anything, but definitely within 6 months to a year. If not sooner (if there was a pup available sooner that was a good fit). I am so glad I'd just gotten Dance a couple of months prior to suddenly losing Tango. That was a really, really hard loss for me and having a puppy around at least helped to keep my mind off of that. I also have a multi dog home, which is nice. If I just had one dog I'd probably want another within a month or two if I could. I can't even imagine being dogless, especially right after losing one.

And for me it is in no way replacing that dog, as every dog is different and my bonds with all of them are different. But I am capable of building a relationship with a new dog even in the event of the loss of another dog, so getting another puppy soon after fills a void and give me something happy and fun to focus on.

If I hadn't already had Dance when I lost Tango, I honestly probably would've been scoping out breeders within a couple of days afterward. And some people think that sounds callous, but for me it makes the loss a little less painful to think about a new puppy/dog.

ETA: I've never had a dog run away and hopefully never will, so I can't really speak to that. And if I rehomed a dog, it would depend on the situation and why I rehomed the dog. So for me, the only thing I can think of in regards to "something happening" to my dogs is that one of them died. In any other situation, there would be a lot more questions asked of myself before I decided to get another dog. If I rehomed one, I don't necessarily need another depending on why. If one ran away or was stolen, then I'd probably be searching for that dog for a long time before I considered a new one, etc.

Maxy24

If the dog died I's likely get another very quickly, I don't like being without a dog. If I had multiple dogs perhaps it'd be different, but I know when we lost Max I HATED being dogless so much, waiting for as long as we did was brutal for me.

If my dog ran away I would wait longer, holding out hope that I'd find my dog, so not sure when I'd actually give up.

If I rehomed a dog is would depend why I rehomed it, there are VERY few reasons that I would give up a dog so I'd have to reevaluate if I had any business owning a dog at that time.

Depends. I have a feeling when Abby goes I'll be waiting a while before I take on another dog. But I'll probably likely already have the 2nd dog(cuz still planning to get that aussie when I move out) so won't be lonely/without a dog in the house just will be a while before I take on another

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Well Tyler says no adding another dog until Mitsu passes away, buy knowing her she probably will live forever heart problem and all. But I really want a third dog so I am hoping we will be able to foster a third dog just to see if we can handle three dogs, but I don't think I can wait till one of our dogs pass away to get a third dog

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
How soon would you add another dog after one left you?

If the dog passed? - Enough time to let me grieve, come to terms, and think clearly. Gyp is getting up there- he is 13, and it makes my eyes well and my stomach to get tense whenever I even think about losing him. I don't know how long it will take me until I am emotionally stable after his death.

Ran away? Months, maybe even a year. I would not stop looking until I found a dog or a body.

Was rehomed? I have only rehomed one dog in my life- and it almost destroyed me emotionally. Giacomo was a Gordon Setter, and after three and a half years of trying to work through his dog aggression, I finally decided to place him with a family without a dog. The ONLY reason that was my choice is that he was becoming increasingly aggressive with Gyp, and it was becoming an unlivable situation. I still miss him and think of him often, but he is with a great family. I bought Fiona when he was about a year and a half, before showing any signs of aggression, but after I rehomed him it took me almost two years to welcome another puppy into my life.

Are any of these different or do you have a period of time you just need between dogs? I will always have a decently large household of dogs. I feel most comfortable with 3 or 4 (I currently have three living with me, two of my dogs are co-owned and live with my mother). I think that after Gyp passes, it will probably be at least 5 or 6 months until I begin my search for a dog, if I do at all. I am adding another puppy this year, a male, because I am aware that Gyp might not live that much longer, and I NEED to have a male dog in my house. I want Gyp to teach my new puppy some things, before he goes. If that makes sense at all.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I honestly don't know.

Before Sheena died, I had not planned on getting another horse for many years after she passed and was OK with that. After she died though, it was a different story. After two tearful days I found myself on Dreamhorse, coming *this close* to emailing the owner of a weaning quarter horse filly that was for sale. As time goes on the horse want gets worse. It's been just over a year now and if there were not a very good possibility of us getting land in the near future (and therefore saving our pennies), I would be actively searching for a horse right now. I have no doubt that if I were only slightly more impulsive I would have another horse by now. If horses were something that would easily fit in a house like a dog, I definitely would.

This is probably going to happen to me within 6 months, maybe a year, tops. Molly is getting more wobbly all the time. She's eating, drinking, etc, ok, and she seems to be able to get up and down off the couch and bed ok, so it's not like it's going to happen tomorrow or next week, but at 13.5+, I know it's not too long. King seems to be in a lot better shape, but at the same age, how long as he got? Last time, I was going to wait about 6 months for Greater Swiss Mountain Dog pups, and was about to send them a deposit, and a friend of mine told me about his ex girlfriend who had 13 pups to find homes for. We went over "just to look", and the next day, we had two pups, King and Molly. We lasted two weeks. I don't expect to last much longer this time, and depending how King acts if/when Molly goes, it might be even shorter. I don't get the "It's too soon" thing at all, it's just the way I am, I guess.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have no idea..... None. Bodhi isn't a dog to me, she's a lot more. I'd be a total mess....

Members online