second dog?

We have a beautiful 15 month golden who is just a joy. Very, very active and energetic, but we have great and safe space for lots of outdoor exercise, and kids who require the same amount of outdoor space and exercise. So we're all sort of on the same wavelength here. We were recently offerred the opportunity to think about bringing a 2-3 y/o basset hound into our home. We had at some point been thinking about another golden, so this would be a shift in terms of breed. Dh is actually considering this, but I have some ???'s.

What do you think of a golden and basset together? Would my golden overwhelm the basset in terms of energy and size? Do you think the temperments would mesh well, or are they too different? Would a house w/a dog and two kids be overwhelming to this particular breed? Any suggestions or things to think about?

I'm not concerned about the cost per se, and we do really good vet care, food, etc. My kids are crazy in love with all animals, but I'd love some words of wisdom here. Thanks!

rosesmom

I think they are both sweet breeds and should get along great. I know lots of people that have 2 dogs and different in size so that should not be a problem either.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Read up on the breed, and if you like what you read then go for it. One of my small Beagles lives with an older Golden and they do great...

Basset's have some health things like any other breed, spine, joint, and ear issues so make sure the hound you get is healthy. They also have BIG HOUND VOICES and like to use them...be prepared for this...

bubbatd

My Goldens got along with dogs of all sizes ...... I'd test before making a decision though . more for the Golden's sake !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Goldens get along with just about everyone and Bassets are pretty laid back as well. The thing with bassets has already been mentioned...large amount of health issues and that bray they've got...there's nothing else like it. If you are prepared to deal with a noisy dog that might possibly have recurring ear/skin infections, joint and back trouble and a mind of their own, then go for it. :) They are very sweet dogs and have a pretty good energy level on their own, especially as youngsters.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The other thing about bassets is that they really are big dogs with short legs. Don't let the fact that they are vertically challanged fool you! They are big, strong, loud, independent dogs. On the other hand, they are as laid back and sweet as can be!

Paige

Let it be
I have only ever known two Bassets. The younger one wasn't as quick as my boys but that didn't stop him. He rumbled with the best of them at the dog park. The other I knew was old with extremely bad back problems but lived with a young large dog and was not bothered by him any. So long as the Golden and the Basset get along as individuals I don't see it being a problem.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I don't knwo much about them, but my mum used to live next door to some people that bred working bassets. They must have been amazing dogs.

Members online

No members online now.