Chaos won't stop nursing on me!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Chaos is about 5 months old now and has a quite annoying habit. I guess it could be cute though to some people. He LOVES to knead on me and then he will start suckling on my hand, arms, shirt, neck, face, fingers, hair. I mean anything I can't touch him or hold him without him suckling on me and it's quite annoying.

Is this something you can stop them from doing. He immediately get removed from me and if he does it a couple times he goes for a time out for a minute and we try snuggle time again. What else can I do because I don't mind him doing it for a minute but he doesn't stop!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Give him a toy that he can suckle on while you hold him? Hoosier does this too and eventually I just gave him a teddy bear that he could knead and suckle while I snuggled him. It was kinda cute actually, he'd be hugging his bear while I hugged him.

noludoru

Bored Now.
It's something that sometimes they grow out of sometimes not. If he's this persistent, you're going to have to do something. I blow air in Chili's face when she tries to suck on my ears/face/neck/whatever, and whoosh of air stops her. The problem is when they seem to get into a sucking mode of some sort.... that's ALL they want to do.

Only thing that has worked for me 100% is putting bitter apple on myself. Chili left me alone for days after I did it. If you're persistent, I bet it would stop the habit. But give him something else to suck on, because it's something he needs to get out of his system in any case.. it's a comfort-thing. When Chili is stressed she comes up to me and demands that I let her cuddle and essentially attempt to pierce my ears. :rolleyes:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Who or what is Choas? What did I miss?
a kitten we brought in. There was a bunch left to roam outside in our neighborhood so we took him and some other neighbors took the other ones.

That would drive me nuts !!!
Oh it does I can't even touch him without him doing that. He doesn't do it to anyone but me either. He usually don't want attention from anyone but me though too. He's a very affectionate little cat and sleeps right in between me and mark. He gets so mad if we shut him out of the room at night and he'll howl and meow at the door until we let him in.

He's got a catnip mouse that he likes a lot I'll see if maybe he can take out his suckling frustrations on the mouse. Was he maybe taken away from his mom too young? We've had him since he was about 9 weeks old or so the vet says but noone knows for sure how long they had been out and on their own.

LuvsDogs

Blossom is nearly 15 mths old & still kneeds when on my bed. I rather like it especially if she does it to my legs when their tired. I thought it was something all cats did when sleepy, I know all the cats I've ever had, did it. I don't know about the sucking thing. Blossom likes to lick us, but we've had her since 3 weeks old, so I'd say its a comfort thing.

skyeboxer

Years ago I had a cat who did this obsessively. He was a throwaway. Someone had found him and his siblings in a plastic bag at the roadside and taken the lot to the county fair to see if anyone would offer a home. My Dad was never one to miss an opportunity for a bit of fun, so driving home from our holiday, we stopped at the fair and wallah... we ended up with Sam.

He was always a bit doo-lally. I was only about nine then and had long hair. He'd knead me to death and suck on my hair. On top of that he'd go into a trance and drooool. All over me.

Later in his life he used to get himself into a trance by staring at a spot on the wall. He'd start to sway and drool until he swayed himself right off the back of the chair he was sitting on. We always just assumed he'd landed on his head when the b****** threw him from the car.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I would say the nursing thing he does obsessively as well. It's almost like he has obsessive compulsive disorder but he only does it to me not to Mark or my kids. I'm guessing he was a throwaway as well and just dropped off in our neighborhood because we have lots of cats that just get tossed by us.

Boemy

One of my cats will nurse on my other cat's neck! Fortunately the other cat doesn't mind. Good luck stopping it, nothing I tried worked. He wasn't interested in nursing on toys at all . . . only on kitty neck. :rolleyes:

Typically they do this when they are separated from their mother too early. Any younger then 12 weeks would be too early for most cases. This doesn't mean that all kittens separated too early will do it, some do some don't. Sometimes they grow out of it sometimes they do not. Bitter Apple spray works in the places they nurse the most.

Members online

No members online now.