Puppy craving

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I have Zeus and I'm extremely happy, but lately I find myself wishing for a puppy. Despite all the problems and challenges of a young pup, I miss those wiggly, clumsy bodies and puppy antics. I got Zeus at 8 months old, so he didn't go through that adorable phase.

I know I can't have a puppy right now. Young pups require time, and I don't think I have the space for another dog in my menagerie. Anybody else have these horrible puppy itches? Do they make a pill/patch to help get over it?

qwkslvr

Vizsla Mom
Hey Gempress I also have those cravings despite knowing how much work is involved. I got our vizsla when he was 6 months old (he will be 1 year on 12/13/05), so I missed out on all the fun baby stuff. I have to say that getting a puppy and training them is a whole lot easier that getting an completely untrained 6 month old dog with issues that were caused by the previous "idiot" owner! Take care, P

joce

I wanted another pup so bad but then I volunteered to watch a frineds pup and changed my mind after cleaning up two accidents. I cna wait a couple more years:p

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
No, Gempress, unfortunetely there is no cure for your disease. That is how we got all of our dogs. I kept getting the puppy itch and it seems these dogs just came to us at times when I was craving a puppy. Just think before you leap though, think LONG and HARD before deciding on a new puppy. I mean MONTHS and MONTHS before you get a puppy.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yeah, I get it often. I've caved this year. I told myself I was definitely going to wait two years after I'd had Dakota to even consider another puppy but everything is going so smoothly right now with my two boys, and once schoolwork is out of the way I'll have the time and energy to devote to a pup... so why not? They're like kids to me, if I can afford to take care of them and spend time with them, I don't see how it'd hurt to have a third.

I don't know what I'm going to have to do about my puppy fever by the time I'm moved out.. I'll have at least three dogs (My parents really want to keep Dakota with them, and if he's mellowed to the point where I think they can handle him, I will let them.) and 4 if things go as planned and I get my Border Collie bitch. Thank gawd I've already got housing arrangements, though, where I can keep all my dogs. LOL.

But yes, as you can see by my two dogs in two years, there isn't a cure for puppy fever. :) (Except a puppy, of course!)

bubbatd

There's only one thing wrong with puppies...they only last a few months.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
bubbatd said:
Exactly, that's why you need to think really hard and really long before you get a puppy. I made the mistake of jumping into all my dogs before researching and looking around. Fortunetely for Hannah and Lily it turned out good.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
bubbatd said:
*Sigh* That's why I keep telling myself that I will not give in. If I get another pup, it'll be because I want a DOG, not because I want a puppy. But it's so hard sometimes.

Brattina88

We only wish there is a cure, but I've found treatment of a sort. Relating to what Joce suggested. By watching other peoples puppys and volinteering at the local animal shelter, even if it is one day a week tamed my cravings enough to not buy or jump at every chance presentable. When you're known to love dogs it does seem that everyone in the neighborhood has a pup that needs help, or a new home. Anyone else have that "problem"?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Everytime I seem to get a puppy craving we have a couple come in at work and the teeth in my elbow every time I see them seem to cure me pretty quick.

bubbatd

I think it's great for anyone to volunteer at shelters etc with pups !!! They need so much socialization which will help in adoption and assurance they won't be turned back in. People really don't understand that here is where the troubles begin. BYBs and puppy mills don't do this and it's so important !! It would be like taking a new born baby and attach them to a feeding tube ...then let them into the world at a year old.

corykins22

yes, thats what i was going to say, volunteer or foster a pup! or, i was reading about fostering pups that are going to be trained for sevice, like seeing eye dogs and dogs for the deaf, ect. you raise the pup until a certain age, i think before they turn a year, and then another person comes and fosters and does all the training for whatever service they will go into. i wish i could remember right now what the place was called, i was really interested in it when i read it. maybe you should try that!

i also am a puppy-addict! i think it runs in the family, my mom and her sisters are exactly the same way!

Members online

No members online now.