How many hours a day does your dog sleep?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I know this will greatly vary from dog to dog, as some are very low-key and low energy, and others are go-go-go-go-go! But I figured I'd throw it out there.

Matt asked me today if Sierra sleeps too much, and I'd honestly never considered it, it's normal for her!

She sleeps all night when we sleep, also probably half the day. (For example, she went out with me this morning when I woke up, but now she's back asleep on the couch). When she's up, she's usually very active and energetic, so I've never worried about her sleeping to much :)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy can go the whole time I'm outside and playing, but when we come in he usually just goes to sleep, or quietly amuses himself, which is exactly what I want. Usually though, he's sleeping by my feet. He sleeps all night as well, unless I'm up, and even then if I'm not interacting with him, he'll take himself to his crate and go to sleep. So, yeah, he probably sleeps a lot now that I think about it.

RD

Are you dead yet?
A lot. I'd say Eve sleeps 18-20 hours a day when she doesn't work.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
A lot. I'd say Eve sleeps 18-20 hours a day.
Same for Maggie May. Like this morning for example I had to get up at 4:30am to babysit. She got up with me (after sleeping all night long with me) and I let her out. But then she was zonked back out on the couch. She tends to get up for short periods of time and run around like a maniac. And of course we go out for a long walk everyday. But yeah she definately sleeps 18-20 hours a day lol.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Oh a ton! They sleep through the night with us and probably more than half the day. lol lazy bums! Until we go out to play, though. ;)

Mine sleep all day too. When they go outside they get roudy and playful. Out side they run around like nuts. They come in and lay down. Bear will sleep all day and dixie will most of the time but she plays with her toys too.

When they start getting roudy inside, I know it's time for them to go out. Get out some of that energy.

Wow I don't feel so bad anymore. I always thought Maggie slept too much, but when I let her run around off leash outside, there is no limit to her energy.. I've not yet been able to wear her out while she's been outside, but as soon as we come in, she's zonked out. She sleeps all night and most of the day. She's so cute when she sleeps, too.. she "runs" and "talks" in her sleep. I should make a video of it sometime.

SarahFair

I heard a dog will sleep 17-20 hours a day.
I think it was like on one of the chick-fil-a toys talking about animals..

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Yeah, Uncle Fred and Mini sleep all day, too. They have internal on/off switches and no idle, so they seem to be either wide awake and playing or getting into trouble, or asleep.

milos_mommy

probably not QUITE as much as you're guys...maybe 15 hours? He sleeps all night, plays for about an hour in the morning, then usually goes back to sleep for 2-3 hours, and then is up most of the afternoon.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I'm with RD, about 18-20 hours if left to their own devices. They were both very active as puppies, but have mellowed out a lot. The couch is their favorite place in the whole wide world. They'll occassionally play around all day if they feel like it, but it just makes them crash even harder the next day.

BostonBanker

Well, she's at work with me from about 7:30 - 1:30 and is awake then. She sleeps a good chunk of the afternoon, then is usually up again for several hours in the evening for dinner, playtime, walks, training, or agility. So maybe 16 hours a day or so.

noludoru

Bored Now.
All night - he usually goes to sleep before me. He then sleeps the morning away after a good potty break, and will sleep or relax the rest of the day away until I take him out.

Members online

No members online now.