saint bernards

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
dose anyone has a saint bernards. if so can you tell me some stuff about him.
Temperament, are they good with other dog and cats,Do they shed a lot,How big do they get

becca_4321

I have never had a saint bernard but I have never met a bad one. We have a friend with one, big baby, sweet and funny. When I was a kid our neigbor had one, that dog was sweet and friendly, great with all of us kids and got along with our dogs. One time we took in a stray saint bernard until we found him a home. Again, he was great with my kids and our dog and was such a sweetie. They are large dogs. But are very good natured.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
they do shed, but it can be managed with daily brushing. They have a tendency to slobber, especially after drinking water. They are very good with kids and usually other animals (especially if introduced as a puppy). I have heard they are usually a very bright dog and like learning new things. This is just my personal experience with one Saint Bernard so the drooling and shedding may not pertain to every Saint out there.

S

stirder

shed a lot, can reach 200 pounds, extremely gentle and great with kids. should have a great temperament and show no signs of aggression, remember...they were bred to save human lives, not defend them against other humans or animals.

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
We (my moms) have a St. Bernard. He's a big baby. He probably weighs about 100 lbs. He's a little dominant of some other males, but it's because she hasn't had him neutered yet. She likes to wait untill they are over a year old. Anyways, he drools a lot (i don't like). But over all he is a really sweet, laid back dog. He will bark at a stranger sometimes, but not usually. He gets along with other dogs for the most part. Once he's neutered there won't be any more "guys scuffles."

I wouldn't want one, but they are nice animals. I just don't like all the drooling and I'm not partial to big dogs.

showpug

My husband and I ALMOST got a Saint, so I researched the breed a lot and even met with a top breeder to learn more about them. They are very sweet and usually lazy dogs. They are terrific with children, but need to be trained and socialized a LOT from a young age to prevent shyness etc. They have two coat types...smooth and rough. Both are nice and about equal to maintain. Just remember, they drool a TON and don't let anyone tell you that they breed "dry mouth" saints....simply untrue, or they are breeding the incorrect head type into their dogs. Hope some of this helped!

Ack

Here is my saint. His name is Luke, short for Cadirrac's Jean Luc Bernard

He is 6 months old and weighed in last night at 104 lbs, He is with out a doubt the most wonderful and loving dog we have ever owned. Absolutely the best temperament I have ever seen in a dog. Extremely friendly to people and other dogs. Not an outdoor dog in my part of the country. They just cant take the heat. He knows when the ac is set above 70 and whines when cool air is not coming out of the floor vents. At this age they do not need nor is it advisable to give them much exercise. He is growing at a phenomenal rate. He sleeps 18 to 20 hours a day. Boy do they drool :D After drinking he leaves a trail of water through the house. The coat under their muzzle holds a ton of water that he likes to deposit on tables, sofas and your lap. At 104 lbs he can an does rearrange furniture to suit him. If you get one , I can not stress how important it is to train him and socialize him. If you leave the house with him , he will be the center of attention. It is very important that he be socialized. We trained Luke heavily at first but have slacked off lately and he is starting to ignore commands. Its time to hit the training hard again.

The weight chart I have shows them topping out at 180 lbs at 3 years. But Lukes father was 205Lbs. Luke is a rough coat, but his father was smooth coat. If you dont plan on showing him , please consider one from a rescue, far too many people went out and bought them after those movies, and people just dont understand what it take to live with such a giant animal. The rescues are over crowed with pets whose only fault is their size.

Last edited:

bubbatd

Love that mug !!!!! A lot of people thought Bubba had SB in him !!! Love those big heads !!

S

stirder

wow, gorgeous dog. I am partial though, even though I've never had one I have loved them since I was about 3 years old. mom and dad talk about how I used to pretend to be one when I was 3 or 4. and as scary as cujo was to a 8 year old, I wanted to give the slobbery beast a big hug. I was actually never scared of the dog, I was scared because the characters were scared but kept asking my parents and older brother when the monster was going to show up in the movie? they just laughed. someday I will have to get one.

nikkie101

I also have a St.. Max he is 3 months old weighing about 45 lbs now, I think he is the best puppy I have ever seen!!!! yes he sleeps ALOT, sheads ALOT! drolls only when I am eating somthing real good, or after drinking.. he is a joy to have around!

My daughter was playing a doggie in that pic.. with makers LOL LOL

Ash47

Taco Dog
I will have to show this thread to my mother. She has always talked about wanting one and I think this will really get her into them. I have never researched the breed, but it sounds so great. My mom isn't really into buying from breeders, so I know she would more than likely rescue one. Which is great by me! ;)

Members online