Your heart dog

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
I'd like to hear some stories about the one dog that was the love of your life.

I had not heard the expression before I came to this site, and was pm-ing with one of the members, who said, `I guess Ruby is your heart dog'. I instantly identified with what she said, Ruby is my girl forever. I love my Chester, I love him to bits, but my Ruby is the one dog out of all the dogs I've had, who made me fully understand what a joy they are, and how you can fall so head-over-heels in love with them that they consume your whole life.

So, let's hear about yours - I'm looking forward to the laughter and the tears!

My "heart dog" is Caza. I love him SOOOOOOO much. I love all my dogs but he is definately 'the one' lol. His devotion to me is unbelievable, and I just love his outlook on life. He is fearless and very loving (to me anyways). I know as long as Caza is around I am protected. He's a hard-ass sometimes and looks menacing, but when its just me and him, whether we are sitting in the car, or on my bed (which I allow SOMETIMES, when I invite him) I just look in his eyes and all I see is love for me. Sometimes he makes me cry from just staring into his emotional eyes. He is a very sweet dog, once you look past his rough exterior. I love him to death, and I wouldnt change a thing about him.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My heart dog is definetely Hannah. She is, well to me, the perfect dog. She has SO many problems but we are working on them because I love her so much. When I'm sad she knows, even before Mark knows. When I'm happy she's there to play and be silly with me. I have been so depressed lately and she's ok with that too she just sits there by me incase I need to give someone a hug or I need a lick. She always seems to know when I need some lovin because she'll just put her head up on my lap and lick my hand. She loves me no matter what. I don't think you could ever find this kind of devotion and love from a human being.

bubbatd

I loved all my many Goldens , but for some reason my males ( yikes ....6 .. over the 60 years ) bonded with me more than my females . I loved them ALL , but my Bubba was the one who saw me through rough times and was always by my side . The others , in the same situations , would have done it too . So Bubba was , and will always be my heart dog . BUT........ maybe he and Chip sent me Ollie ! I've only had him 3 months , but if I reach 81 and he reaches 10 yrs .... who knows !!!

Doberluv

Oh gosh....I have loved all my dogs, of course, just like everyone here. My GSD, Ajax was a wonderful dog and at that time, I bet he was my heart dog. I've loved my girls too. But like Grammy, it seems that the boys have all been less independent, more loyal.

I would have to say my Doberman, Lyric is probably the one I've had the closest bond with. I think we do more together than some of the past dogs and the way we work together has added that special something. He seems to know things which are a mystery to me. He's protected me. I've been so careful with him too, he's been a challenge in some ways. He's been the most loyal dog, stuck to me like glue and more of a partner in the things we do. (hey, I just noticed...that rhymed. LOL) It's really hard to describe why or what makes this bond different, isn't it. It's like you can't really put your finger on it.

otch1

Not to sound like a sap, but I've had two "heart" dogs. My last Sheltie. I was fortunate to have had him for 15 years. He was the last puppy left out of a litter of 8. Very shy. Hid at the back of the whelping box they had him in and actually let out a very quiet growl when I picked him up. He shook all the way home in the car, thru the hour and a half drive. He spent the first week running behind the couch whenever he was let out to play in the livingroom. I thought I'd made a big mistake. After he and I spent more time alone together, he started to come around. By the time he was 8 months old, this puppy was so full of himself, there was no toning it down. He greeted everyone that came thru the door with a head butt to the legs, then wrapped himself around them. He pranced into my classes like he owned the place and gave me 100%, regardless of the environment. My clients thought he was the most amazing, well behaved, well trained, outgoing dog. He brought in so much business for me, people thinking this was all my doing. When in reality, he was one of the most intellegent dogs I've ever owned and taught me a great deal. He went everywhere with me. He loved and looked out for my kids. He was wonderful to show and to snuggle on the couch with. He made it thru a serious bout of cancer at 12 and I had him for 3 more years after that. He was going strong until Thanksgiving day, where he then went into my room, into his bed and didn't want to get up. The vet said the cancer was back and I needed to make a decision. The funny part was he'd said goodbye to everyone at the family dinner, my kids, made the rounds all day. And when I carried him into my vets the next morning, he said he was so full of cancer that he was amazed he was even able to function the day beforehand. I think he stuck around for me and every Thanksgiving someone in the family still brings him up, and we all remember him fondly. The second was my Dobie. A "rescue" of sorts, from a breeder and kennel owner I trained for. At 10 months he was not potty trained in the house, he destroyed the center cushion of their very expensive couch, among other things. When he came up from their house to the kennel business, he did drive-by nippings on the staff. Getting a thrill out of hearing a kennel worker squeal as he nipped them in the back of the leg or in the rear and continued running. The groomers didn't like him, customers were concerned when they saw him in the office. I was asked to take him home one Christmas for a month of board and train. I was thrilled when they asked me to keep him and find a new home for him after a couple of weeks. I pretended to look for the "right" owner, always finding something wrong with whomever came to look at him. After two months, I told her I wanted to keep him myself. He and I had bonded. My family loved him. There was never another accident. He slept with my son. Looked out for my kids when I got in late at night. He started being a demo dog in my obedience classes as well. He became my baby. He died of a liver disease after I had him for just 6 years. Without going into too much detail and sounding like a nut, my family was certain he was still in the house the day after he passed. He too was very special. I think I was very priveleged to have them.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
My heart dog is Sarah, my 11 yr old Great Dane. It's difficult to explain at all. She has been with me her entire life, she is so faithful and quiet, and docile, a true joy to commune with.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Without having owned too many dogs period, I'm fairly certain that Sawyer my Aussie is my heart dog. I just knew he was special the moment I saw his picture and I've yet to regret having him! Like otch1 said, he makes me look awesome as a trainer! :)

bubbatd

Bless all the Heart Dogs in everyone's past . So many wonderful dogs ... so many wonderful stories and the nice things folks ... the best is yet to come for so many of you !

Doberluv

A-w-w-w-w...what neat stories Otch. They sounded like amazing dogs. I love hearing (reading) about all of your heart dogs. They all have such a special place in our lives. I'm kind stuck too. It's been a while since I lost my GSD, but he may have been my other heart dog. He was pretty amazing and I had him when my kids were babies. He was wonderful with them and all kids. I even had home day care when I had him and he looked after all the kids and licked the babies faces affectionately. He was obedient and terribly affectionate. He developed degenerative myelopathy, a neurological disease and it was pathetic. My husband and I buried him on our property and we sobbed hysterically for days.

But I would have to say, looking back and comparing (which is sort of ridiculous) that Lyric, my Doberman is even more in your face affectionate, more stuck like glue to me, more "into" me, I guess just a little more dependent. He's just right there all the time. He's the most intelligent dog I've had...intelligent in the way of quick to learn new things. He's fun, perky, alert and his temperament and personality is just awesome. He can be such a fruit cake....a very strong personality. Everything I like about dogs, he has the traits 10 times over. You can't help but get super bonded to a Doberman. They won't have it any other way. LOL.

A-w-w-w....but my little Jose. He's sooooooo sweet. And Chulita....a-w-w-w-w..she's so sweet too. I really have no favorites. I love them all. But there's just something a little different about a heart dog, some little pinch of something.... can't explain. Can you? What is the difference between a heart dog and a dog you love just as much? Love is one thing and what's the other thing? Can someone please explain? LOL

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
My heart dog was Shelby, my previous Great Dane. We just went through so much together, and her loss was so very devastating to me.

You can read her memorial here:
http://www.leansnslobbers.net/shelby.html
What a lovely site, and a lovely story. It made me cry, but your loyalty to her and hers to you was a beautiful thing.

I think those of us that have dogs and love dogs and can see their true value and nature, those of us who cherish them, become a little bit dog ourselves. We start to adopt the kind of love and loyalty and unconditional care that they give to us. I'm sure that our dogs whom we love more than anything in the world, understand and feel our emotions and our spirit, it's truly a bond that nothing human could ever match. Thank you for sharing.

Grammy, Doberluv - I know what you mean about your male dogs. Chester is my baby boy - he lives for cuddles, always maneouvres himself into a position where he can touch you, or better still, lay in your lap (all 65lb of him!).

Ruby doesn't give her physical love so freely - when you are granted a cuddle it's such a special thing. But when you open your mouth - even if it's just to say one word and even if she's asleep - her tail starts thumping. There is nothing like it in the world. She was my first true doggy love, and although I love Chester just as much - JUST as much - Ruby has a special place for me. She doesn't cuddle much, but she always wants to be near me. When I'm at the computer (like now) she squeezes under the desk and goes to sleep at my feet. Yet Chester follows me from room to room - no matter what I'm doing.

Doberluv - I know what you mean about Lyric. There is a doberman at Ruby and Chester's daycare called Portia, who is the sweetest soul - she reminds me of Chester. Such a loving girl. Portia and Tracy, one of the owners, are best friends (Portia is there four days a week) and the love between them is a beautiful thing to see. Actually, Tracy's beloved Border Collie, Bette, died a couple of weeks ago. She was so old - she died curled up with the youngest dog there - four month old Silky Terrier, Poppy. They got a photo and put it in the newsletter. I am sure that Bette was Tracy's heart dog, too.

I think the quintessential difference lies in the little things. Whenever I hear horror stories of bad things happening to dogs, people who's dogs go missing or are stolen, Ruby is always the one that pops into my head first. And it bothers me because I love Chester just as much and would be shattered if anything ever happened to him. But when I think of losing my Ruby my heart stops. Literally. I don't know - it's strange. I feel like I'm doing my Chester a disservice, because I just adore him, in such a special way. Perhaps there is no difference really - but who knows??

Last edited:

Toller_08

I've only had two dogs of my own so far, but Tango definitely fits the description of a 'heart dog'. She's everything I could ever ask for in a dog and has been absolutely perfect for me (well, she does have issues with new dogs sometimes, but that's all). She and I do absolutely everything together and it's truly hard to imagine life without her. In fact, I was just thinking the other day that time seems to be going by so fast with her. She'll be 4 in January, which isn't old, but it still bothers me. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about having to live without her someday. I have never felt so much love for a dog as I do her. She is so in-tune to me and seems to know exactly how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking all the time. She lives to please me. She couldn't care less about anything unless it makes me happy. She's my constant shadow and is never too far behind me. I really don't know what else to say about her at the moment...she's just the perfect dog.

otch1

There's a small, unique difference, in my opinion. We love all of the dogs we've owned and will own in the future, but with that "heart" dog... that's the one that when they lay on the couch with you and look in your eyes, you are certain they are reading all of your thoughts. And you believe, after time, you can read theirs. That bond is as close to truly communicating with another species as any of us will come. Mine always told me to get up get the can opener!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Shiner was my heart dog. Only my second dog, but she was very special to me. She was originally my brother's dog, he got her from a shelter in eastern Washington. She was a very strong Chow/Lab (god knows what else) mix. Hard-headed, aloof and pretty aggressive - she leapt at my brother when he entered her cage, hit him in the face and gave him a black eye. Hence the name.

I met Shiner when I was about 4 years old (she was about 4 or older, or so my brother thought) and my brother moved into our house. We didn't love each other at first sight - she was my brother's dog, then. For about a year, she was Matt's dog. She played fetch with me and grew to like me as a playmate, but pined away for Matt, barked and whined when he was gone, etc. Our relationship really changed about a year later. I was in the pasture with our calves, and one of our more aggressive older heifers somehow got into the calf pasture. She cornered me near the electric fence and I didn't have anywhere to go besides slide through the electric fence and get shocked. My parents were watching me and ran to the gate to distract her, but she was still dead-set on putting me in my place. Shiner got between me and the heifer and pushed her back. She held her there until my parents came to get me and put her back in the right pasture.

After that, she never stopped looking out for me. I respected her more after that (I was a pushy, bossy kid) and she returned that respect with her complete devotion. We grew up together, she was very trustworthy and protective around the cattle (but not afraid to protect us from the cattle that she normally protected) our ranch dog, but she was also my buddy. She knew when the school bus would drop me off, and always ran down our 1/2 mile driveway to wait for me to get off the bus and walk back to the house with me. Every single day. She even knew my early release days. :lol-sign:

When I was about 7, my brother moved out. He decided he would take Shiner with him to his new house, a little place a few miles away. I was devastated, my parents missed having a dog to protect the ranch, and we were thinking of bringing home a Great Pyrenees pup when I found her waiting at the bus stop for me. She was panting like mad, and had obviously JUST arrived at the bus stop. She ran home. :) She did this nearly every day for a week or so, until Matt called us and asked us to keep her until he could get a fenced yard. We said absolutely, and Shiner was my dog for 6 more years. Matt did get a fenced yard, but never asked us about taking her back. Technically, she *was* his, but her heart belonged to me.

As we matured together, we just bonded closer. I grew up and she got less protective and "bossy" around me, but she never stopped watching out for me. She saved me from so many potentially horrible situations as a kid. I was a very independent, headstrong kid and liked to go places alone. My parents would only let me out to play at night if I had Shiner with me. She was my bodyguard.

Gawd, that dog was so special to me. When we moved and started traveling in an RV, she got very depressed. She was about 14 then, we think, and obviously missed having a job to do. She was never off the leash in the RV parks - always either inside the small 5th wheel, tethered outside or on a walk with me. We found ways to sneak her off the leash for a good game of fetch, but she wasn't happy. We didn't see this ending any time soon, and in autumn of 2003 I made the decision to find another home for her. A lovely woman on a reservation had acreage, chickens, goats and children for Shiner to protect, and a connection with her upon meeting her. The woman drove from northern Arizona, met her and took her home after Shiner and I said our goodbyes. I bawled for weeks. When I recovered and was satisfied that she had a good home with Leilani, I brought home Ripley. I loved him to death, though I never forgot about shiner. Not even for a day. I periodically exchanged emails with her new owner, but lost touch after a few months.

She lived for about another year. I got the e-mail from her owner in autumn of 2004, telling me that she had passed away. I was heartbroken, even more than I was when I rehomed her. I felt nothing but regret that I hadn't been able to spend that last year with her.

A couple weeks after that, I found out about a male Border Collie puppy whose placement with a family had fallen through due to divorce. 2 weeks later, he was mine.

I haven't had Dakota for very long, but he's a very special dog too. I have the same connection with him at age 2 that I had with Shiner at age 12+. We understand each other. It's silly, but I do think my girl was looking out for me when I got Dakota. He's not Shiner reincarnated, by any means - he's a ditz sometimes, he's very flamboyant and his demonstrations of affection are overwhelming. Really, as far as personality goes, he's her opposite - he's pure enthusiasm 100% of the time, and she was the picture of apathy (unless there was work or swimming to be done). He has a spirit so like hers, though. He has the same intelligent face, he's so very devoted and really is a "lassie" type dog. Very responsible. We have a very deep, special connection and I'm looking forward to growing up with him.

I don't really have 'favorite' dogs, I've LOVED every dog I've had, and all have been very special to me. Ripley especially, being the first puppy I raised, is very dear to me. Buster and Buddy were such sweet, goofy dogs, too. I loved them. There's just something special about certain dogs, though. Shiner had that something special, and Dakota seems to as well.

Yeesh, what a long post! But yes, that was my special girl. I'm so glad I had her in my life as long as I did. I'll always love her. :)

(she was 12 in this picture. She aged so gracefully, getting just the tiniest flecks of grey on her chin in her last year or two.)

BSan

My heartdog is Benny, my yellow lab we lost right before last Christmas. We had to work so hard with him when we adopted him at one year old. He needed to learn some manners, so I spent alot of time with him. When he arrived, he just raced around our house to the point we could hardly ever see what his face looked like.....just a yellow streak. My kids (little then) ran for cover, gathered their belongings and put everything in their rooms, my daughter calling us "mean parents" for letting devil dog join our family. We did a couple long sessions of basic obedience classes, and lots of practice. When he learned manners, he was better behaved, but still so full of life.We had three yellow labs over the years, and we loved each one, yet Benny had sooooo much personality, so much life, such funny habits, and just stuck close by me when I was upset, he was always right there by my feet. And his tail wagged his whole body, knocking everything out of the way. He had a strong presence, faithful, loyal, and we miss him so much. Our new puppy Herbie, now 11 mths old is capturing my heart. He has the "funnyness" of Benny, and instead of laying at my feet, he just lays on my lap ( all 63+ lbs.), a lover boy! We have become attached very quickly.

bubbatd

What special stories !! Bless these special dogs and the memories !

BSan

Otch, I know what you mean about the quiet communication. So true!

RD

Are you dead yet?
There's a small, unique difference, in my opinion. We love all of the dogs we've owned and will own in the future, but with that "heart" dog... that's the one that when they lay on the couch with you and look in your eyes, you are certain they are reading all of your thoughts. And you believe, after time, you can read theirs. That bond is as close to truly communicating with another species as any of us will come. Mine always told me to get up get the can opener!
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. Shiner could always see through me. She knew when I was sad, when I was angry, or uncomfortable. She typically wasn't fond of eye contact, but sometimes she'd walk up to me, stick her face in mine and stare at me for some time. It wasn't a dominance thing like so many people said - I think it was her best attempt to speak to me.

Members online