Tira cut a teet with her nails...

L

LabBreeder

Ok, I know it sounds weird, but she did. We will sometimes find her "tickle spot" around her rib area and scratch. We scratch, she kicks and scratches like it's an itch. Well, i was doing that earlier and found that she'd cut the side of one of her teets. I trimmed the hair around it so it won't get stuck in the wound and cleaned it up with some betadine (sp?). I then put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and made her lay on her back in my lap for about 10 minutes. She hasn't tried to lick it off and doesn't mess with it. Should I just keep an eye on it and make sure no infection sets in and keep antibiotics on it....or would you recomend calling the vet?

L

LabBreeder

Apparently I'm either being ignored by almost everyone or nobody feels the need to 'assist' with my situation. That's ok though. I've done things by myself and I'll keep on making the best decisions I can for my dogs without anyone elses help but the vets and those that actually care to answer me.

Saje

Island dweller
Go to the search option and set the options so you get all the posts that have zero replies and hopefully you'll see that threads get missed. Try not to take it personal or get so defensive. It happens to all of us. I had 8 pages of threads to go through when I got on this morning and I think I replied to three because I've got work to do. Not good ratios.

Tinaweena

Yikes...relax, you posted at 1am. This is the second thread that you've accused the whole forum of not caring about something.
I've made threads that have been missed too. It's not anybody's fault it just happens.
Anyways....I'd just watch for signs of irritation, redness etc.

L

LabBreeder

Oh I know I posted late...or early? :) I just figured that by 11am I'd have gotten something. The last post wasn't meant to come across as defensive as it did...just to those that would never answer, not those that have or will. Ok, that sounds strange...anyways. I know what I was trying to say but I guess it is more difficult to type and have the right attitude about it at the same time. It was meant to be more along the thought lines of "oh well, I've done without help before and things have been fine so we'll do it again". More accepting that there may be no answer and resigned to that fact not :mad:

It looks better today. Just pink where it was cut, not hot or anything. :)

Roxy's CD

Yeah, she should be fine, besides what's one teat? She's got six of'em HAHA LOL

edit* 8 of them.. LMFAO, 7's a lucky number!

She'll be fine, just keep it clean, I probably wouldn't even put too much gunk on personally. Just clean it once or twice a day.

L

LabBreeder

I just finished cleaning it a couple minutes ago. I had to pull some fuzz off that had got stuck in the 'gunk' that I'd put on last night. So, no more gunk just good cleaning. :)

Speaking of teats...one is smaller than the other 7. Is that normal or something that would be a problem if there were pups? Just curious.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I wouldnt worry unless it looks like it needs stiches.
Labs are pretty good at wear and tear. They are hunting dogs and have to deal with all sorts of terrane and owies that result from it.
My biggest fear is one of my dogs jumping into the water hitting a stick and becomming a shishkabob during hunting season:eek:

L

LabBreeder

Yeah, I could see a shishkadog being a BIG problem. We had a shishkahorse once, but he managed to pull through.

Glad the smaller teat is a normal thing. I have always wondered about that one. :)

It's nowhere near bad enough for stiches. She just caught it close to the bottom...or top? (near her body)
It just looks funny with the area around it shaved down now. :)

Members online

No members online now.