Not gaining weight

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Hello all,

It's been a very long time since I logged on to the forum ... and I kind of miss you all :D

Roy [ male GSD ] is now 14.5 months old and has been diagnosed with EPI which is a kind of pancreatic problem that doesn't allow fat to be digested properly. He has had loose stools and diarrhea for the past 8-9 months and it has been, literally, a war to get it under control. We have tried everything thing from changing the diet to using antibiotics and finally enzymes. Enzymes did the trick together with a low fat diet. I am feeding him SolidGold Adult which is only 10% fat togther with Prozyme to help digestion. As I said, his stools firmed up considerably but my issue is that he is not gaining weight. He is now 78.5lbs and has been at that weight for at least 3-4 months. Now my questions are :

1. Is that normal ?
2. If it isn't normal, what should I do ? I was thinking of switching to a higher fat diet [ Nature's variety Chicken and rice 14% fat ] and increase the enzymes dose. Do you agree ?
3. I hear that he has reached his full hight at that age but he should " fill up ".
Is that by age of 2 years or does he start "filling up" when he reaches 2 years ?

Thank you all and sorry for the long post

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I think he will start filling out when he reaches two years old. I'm not sure though but I was told when they reach their adult height then they start building muscle. That is just what I was told. I can't help you with the food suggestion though but good that you are back though :).

weylyn

You say they have firmed up considerably, but are they great or still semi-loose? Of course, EPI dogs will have bouts of poor looking stools but you need to make SURE your dog is stable before you begin switching his diet.

Have you done a TLI test?

Is Prozyme the only enzyme you're currently using? If so, ditch 'em. They help, but they're nothing like true pancreatic enzymes like Viokase, Pancreatin, etc. Prozyme should be used with these enzymes, not solely when dealing with a dog with EPI.

Have you considered a switch to a raw diet? This is what I feed my dog who has pancreatitis, he also takes Pancreatin and Prozyme.

This website will be able to help you a ton, if you have not already read it.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Julie ... Thanks .... yes it's good to be back

Weylyn : I don't know what you mean by great. All I can say is that at least now I can pick up after him with smearing the grass. I have tried Viokase before for a while but I haven't noticed anything different after using Prozyme busides Viokase is way too expensive. I have looked everywhere on the internet, but couldn't find where I can get Pancreatin. Can you help me given that I am in Canada. And yes we had TLI test a while back and Roy's level was 8 but the vet. still thought he had EPI.

Thanks

weylyn

"Great" stool is relative, but I define good stool as being hard, firm logs on a consistant basis. Like Lincoln Logs, but not too hard :D

PM me and I can get you in touch with a woman who provides me with Pancreatin at a resonable price. I don't know if she ships to Canada but it's worth a try.

Saintgirl

I am so sorry to hear that your poor pup has to be going through this. I absolutley recommned NOT giving a diet that is any higher on fat to your dog. The reason that your dog is not gaining the weight is because Roy is not producing the proper amount of enzymes to break down the fat, so even if you raise the fat content in his diet, you will only notice even looser stools and inadvertantly be contributing to the problem, by causing more damage to the pancreas. The pancreas CAN NOT repair itself, and is necessary for survival. Your vet was correct in thinking that EPI was the culprit even after the TLI level came back as an 8. Pancreatic tests can often be inconclusive, or the enzymes may read low, in fact be low, yet pancreatitus can still be the culprit. A digestive enzyme supplement containing a full spectrum of enzymes is unfortunatley the only way to go to prevent further damage to the pancreas. Good luck in getting the treatment that you need.

Jynx

Glad you found a diagnosis, not knowing can be a chore! While Roy does have EPI, which may contribute to his lack of weight, keep in mind, males usually do not mature until 2-3 years old. And some lines mature much later than others. Of the males I've had, the first one looked like a starving fool, (and he was healthy as a horse and ate good !) didn't fill out until almost 3,
my american bred dog, filled out earlier, and my latest male, (same lines as first one, DDR), really didn't fill out until almost 3 as well. So THAT may also be a contributing factor, lack of maturity. I wouldn't worry about 78lbs, my male now that is a 26" at the shoulders and long bodied, weighs in at around 84# and I'm thinking he's a tad on the "fat" side!.
Diane

DanL

His weight is right in line with the breed standard. How tall is he? I think the filling out part continues till they are 2-3 years old. Gunnar is 85lbs and is 16 months old, and he's not really filled out yet. He doesn't look skinny but you can tell he's got some growing to do.

Glad to hear Roy's issue is at least identified and you have a game plan for him.

Debi

Hammie is almost 2 1/2 years old, and weighs 74lbs. as a neutered male he won't develope the muscle mass of an intact male. altho I've felt he is a bit thin, the vet doesn't agree. he gave me the lecture I forgot....GSDs are not really supposed to be as large as people think. I wouldn't change his diet if I were you, especially if he is finally doing better. don't fret a bit....he's fine. :) he may put on a few more pounds, or not much more at all. more weight isn't necessarily a sign of growth, but sometimes just body fat...which I'd rather not have. an active dog is usually a bit leaner, too.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Jynx, DanL and Debi' it's awesome to hear from you guys again and to know that you are still following up on the forum. Thanks to each and everyone of you for the info and advice. Actually, I have been using Prozyme for the past 3 days and Roy's stools are much much better. They look exactly like Weylyn described in her repsonse:). I just hope things stay that way. I won't worry about the weight as long as his happy,healthy and wrecking havoc in the house :D

Once again, thanks again to everyone who cared to respond and / or PM me regarding my post.

Julie

I am back again.
Hi, and welcome back.

About being thin, my two year old GSD is on the thin side, but is slowly starting to fill out. She has no health problems though.

Sorry to hear about Roys problem. You really have been having some health problems since young huh? I hope you find the best way to feed Roy. :)

And it was really great to hear from you again.

I wish you the best for your Roy.

Sorry I can't add anything, but am not familar with this type of problem.
Sounds like you are staying on top of the matter, and doing the best you can do.

Julie.

Members online

No members online now.