How often do you clean?

Airn

2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment.

Um... We clean on our alternative days off. If its getting cluttered or gross. I am not a neat freak. We don't have a schedule\routine for cleaning.

GipsyQueen

Sweep/Mop/vacuum: I never sweep... but I vacuum almost every other day. I HATE dust. I mop once a week.
Bathrooms: Shower/tub: twice a week, Sinks & toilett: three times a week.
Dog poop: Never. ;) Noone poops in the yard.
Lawncare: N/A
Counters: Multiple times a day. After any food prep.
Linens: Every other week! (I hate doing linens)

Torch

How does one mop hardwood without messing it up?
I usually vacuum my hardwood floors (which is almost the entire house) a few times a week with my dyson. About once or twice a month I use the swiffer wetjet on them, with either the wood floor formula or the multipurpose one. I've never used any kind of conditioning product on them, and they're still pretty from their last refinishing (have no idea when that was, we've been in the house 2 years now).

I clean the bathroom once a week, do laundry once or twice a week, and do linens every week or two.

I do the dishes and clean the kitchen all the time, once a day at least.

I have to nag my husband to help me with cleaning, and I hate that. I'm a bit of a neat freak so I realize I have high standards, but there are plenty of things he could do to help me.

We have two people and one dog in our family.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
4 bedroom, 3.5 bathrooms, and a guest suite sort of thing, I guess.

Sweep/Mop/Vacuum: A few times a week. I mop each time I vacuum.
Bathrooms: The full bath that I use is at least twice a week. The half bath that's used less often is maybe once a week.
Dog poop: When I feel like it. One dog on an acre isn't too much of an issue.
Lawncare: I think they come weekly. I don't pay attention.
Counters: Feels almost constant. There's a certain orange kitty who is convinced the no counter rule does not apply to him.
Linens: Every week.

If I had enough time, I feel like I'd clean constantly. I love things to be neat and clean. Clutter and dirt are a definite no with OCD. :p

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Roomba looked like a small child on a sugar high vacuumed my house. Neato makes soothing rows across my carpets :D
Haha! We had a Roomba when I was in Georgia, and I could not figure out how that thing decided where to vacuum. It just zig-zagged and circled through the main living area with no real purpose.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Not often enough. Right now I am just working on catching up then maintaining the rooms I fix.... Ugh I always swear I won't let it pile up like I always do...

LindaJD

5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 kitchens. Sometimes there is just me, my husband and my dad, in the summer my girls come home from school. My son and his wife live nearby so they come over alot with my granddaughter.

Sweep/Mop/vacuum: Everyday somebody vacuums the whole house. I have pretty bad allergies and my cats shed like crazy.
Bathrooms: Give them a quick wipe down daily, the kids do their own and not enough for my liking.
Dog poop: Everyday, we use the yard a lot so I pick it up when I see her go.
Lawn care: Once a week..
Counters: Multiple times a day. I use clorox wipes a few times a day after eating or drinking.
Linens/laundry: Every other day. My husband does our laundry, the kids do their own and my dad does his own. We have 2 sets of washer/dryers and it does seem like they are always running.
I have 1 small dog that doesn't shed and 2 big cats that shed unbelievably.

Last edited:

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
1230sqft, 3br/2ba, 2 adults, 5 dogs, 4 cats

Sweep/Mop/Vacuum: I vacuum at least once a week, but need to get in the habit of doing it 2-3x a week. We have laminate floors in the living room/foyer area, linoleum in the bathrooms & carpet in the hallway and all of the bedrooms. At some point, I want tile in my kitchen & bathrooms and laminate/hardwood in the rest of the house.

Bathrooms: As needed.

Dog poop: Um, never? We have these weird beetle type bugs that eat poops nearly as soon as they hit the ground.

Lawncare: SO mows the yard weekly during the spring/summer and as needed in the fall/winter.

Counters: As needed, after food prep, whenever a mess is made...

Linens: Weekly.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
4bdrs, 2 bthrs. Not sure about the square footage but we have two kitchens, two dining rooms, two living rooms, utility room and so on. It is a pretty big house. Right now there is 3 people(2 adults and one baby) and sometimes 4 when my daughter is here to visit. We are hoping soon my sons will join us and that will make 6 people in the house, 2 shepherds and 2 cats.

Sweep/Mop/vacuum: I vacuum once a day unless it is shedding season and then I do it twice a day. Mop once a week, twice if the floor is really dirty.
Bathrooms: Picking up every day, through cleaning once a week
Dog poop: Every 2 - 3 days. We have a potty pen so never have to worry about dog poop in the yard.
Lawncare: Once every two weeks. My partner takes care of that
Counters: After every time we cook or bake
Linens: Once every 2 weeks.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
1 bedroom apartment.

I clean for 30 minutes every day. I set a timer and GO! What gets done in 30 minutes, gets done. The end. Nothing is so crucial that it can't wait until the next day. It keeps me sane.

The only exception is when we have people over on weekends. I LOVE having people over, it's super fun. BUT it means there is always a mess on Mondays. Like, whole kitchen full of dishes and stuff mess. Not my favorite, but I'd rather have people over and deal with it on Monday, then not have people over. So I deal with it :p

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Nobody in this house cleans, and it drives me crazy. I've kind of given up on it, to be honest. I'll just be twitchy about it. My siblings, both adults, won't even put their garbage in the trash, or do their dishes. I want to stab them every time.
This was my house before too, as Jess can attest. Having fratboy roomies drove me insane and I gave up on keeping up with them.

Now, in my own place... which is about 1400 sf, 3 bedrooms with finished basement, mostly hardwood/lino with a small carpeted patch in the basement:

Sweep/Mop/Vacuum: Sweep most days, after cleaning critter cages I do a full sweep. Mop once a week, vacuum once a week.
Bathrooms: My regular bath gets spot cleaned as needed, full clean the first of every month. The downstairs bathroom is used sparingly so it's cleaned as needed.
Dog poop: Weekly-ish. His pooping space is small so I tend to clean more frequently than when we had our big grassy yard. The small pets get spot cleaned daily, full cleans every two weeks or so.
Lawncare: Once weekly. Run the push mower and trim things a bit.
Counters: After every food prep. I love a tidy kitchen space.
Linens: All bedding, pet and otherwise, is done once every two weeks.

It's a lot of work but a clean house is my reward. I love it.

Michiyo-Fir

Those who have the robot vacuums, do they work well? When I was younger I had a friend who had one, and while it was awesome, it'd get mad if it ran into something and just stop.
We had a roomba for a while but it could only vacuum pretty much one room and al the dog hair would clog up the system and the brushes would be completely wound with hair. Then we had to take it apart, cut and strip away the hair stuck on it and let it do the next room...

Michiyo-Fir

My current house is 3 bdrm, 2 bathroom and 2 ppl + 1 dog live here. Buuut we're not the neatest people and we don't clean as much as we probably should lol.

Vacuum: every 1-2 weeks, whenever we're not busy because we have 3 flights of carpeted stairs and it takes quite a while to do the whole house.

Bathrooms: every few days the toilets are scrubbed, wiping counters in the bathroom and stuff we usually do before guests come over so probably every 2 weeks.

Dog poop/lawn: not applicable. We don't let nia poop in the yard, we walk her and poop is picked up and thrown away immediately on our walks. Lawn is done every week in the summer but someone else does it for us.

Linens: every 1-2 weeks.

However, we're really not that into cleaning lol. Compared to my aunt's house where I used to live, even though they have a 7 bedroom, 6 floor, 5 bathroom house. There's 5 people and 2 dogs living there. But they cannot stand any kind of messiness whatsoever. For them it was extremely different despite the house being so big.

For them it's

Vacuum: every other day. All 6 levels of stairs too.

Bathroom; every single day all bathrooms have to be scrubbed, all surfaces wiped, floor mopped. Also even during the day between cleanings, the water has to be wiped off the sink and faucets after anyone uses the bathroom. Same thing with shower booths, after use it has to be squeegeed and wiped, even the kids know that. No water stains are allowed in the bathroom sinks or showers.

Dog poop/lawn: not applicable again, walk the dogs and have no lawn.

Linens: every 3 days everyone does a full change.

For their house literally someone has to clean between 4-6 hours every day to keep up to the cleanliness standards of the household. We sometimes have someone do it, sometimes my retired grandma does it herself.

2500ish sqft, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, two people, two dogs, one cat, and two birds. Mostly carpet, with tile kitchen, bathroom, and large entryway.

Sweep/Mop/Vacuum: All gets done weekly. Spot cleaning in between.
Bathrooms: Full cleaning weekly, wiped down daily.
Dog poop: When I feel like it. They mostly poop on walks.
Lawn care: Whenever the parental figure feels like doing it.
Counters: Constantly. I can't stand dirty dishes or dirty counters.
Linens: Weekly. Especially dog bedding.

RD

Are you dead yet?
How often do you sweep/vacuum/mop/etc, clean bathroom, pick up dog poop, mow the lawn, wipe down counters, wash linens and dog beds, etc? How big is your house, how many beds/baths, how many people and animals living there?
I work full-time overnights and when I come home, I'm usually not in the mood to even THINK of cleaning, so I do almost all of my weekly cleaning on my two days off per week. I clean the kitchen every day (wiping down counters, dishes, making sure everything is sanitary, etc) but stuff like laundry, bathrooms, vacuuming etc is saved for every sunday or Monday, when I don't have to worry about getting enough sleep during the day.

Three people (me, female, slovenly; roomie 1, male, neat freak; roomie 2, male, slightly less slovenly than me) and my dog live here in a small 2-bedroom apartment.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Our ranch house isn't that hard, it only has carpet in 2 rooms & linoleum in the other higher traffic areas (kitchen, laundry room, my room when I am there) so I kind of sweep up with a broom daily (the dirt there is sand do us & the animals track a lot of stuff in) but all in all it is a pretty easy house to clean.

Members online

No members online now.