Josefina's social issues regarding other dogs, need opinions :/

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Hi, I have a little issue, Josefina was an orphan (dumped at the AC at 4 weeks) the problem is that she at almost 2 yrs old (October 1st is her b day) but she still acts like a bothersome adolescent puppy towards other dogs; she will rub against them & if they tell her off she then lays down & stares at them & will otherwise be bothersome until the other dog retaliates & tells her to shove off, then she becomes combative which she doesn't do with buddy agree male) but she did try to retaliate back with Izze but Izze was very well socialized with many dogs & knew how to handle her if she tried to get combative without hurting her physically (she was a very caring dog deep down & never did things 'just to hurt') but she seems to be worse with other females & dogs smaller then her, why is this?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Honestly?

She's an adolescent (2 is just barely grown, not even for some dogs) ACD. They have a rough play style and they're pushy dogs - as they should be. In the vast majority of dogs, any aggression they display is often heightened with same sex dogs. Totally normal. SSA isn't uncommon in ACDs either. Smaller dogs? They're easier to bully and also may be tripping her prey drive a little bit.

To be quite honest, I don't see an issue? She sounds like a young cattle dog bitch to me. :) Is it important that she be perfectly social with strange dogs? Sounds like she's doing fine with yours.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No she doesn't act like a 'normal' cattle dog, I understand smaller dogs exciting herding instinct, but her behavior isn't instinct, she gets this look in her eyes like ... I don't know how else to explain it other then that look that kids get when they are pestering one another, then when she is told off, she looks at the other dog like she doesn't know why she has been snarked at I am a vetern of ACDs & this isn't normal behavior, she has been socialized with strange dogs since she was a pup so it's not like strange dogs are a new thing.

Besides these aren't strange dogs they are my folks dog's, who she has known since she was adopted at 3 mos.

CaliTerp07

If you aren't able to explain it and you really think there's an issue, then it's time to bring in a behaviorist who can examine the behavior in person and provide recommendations.

Otherwise, I kind of have to agree with Emily. It doesn't sound abnormal to me, so something must be getting lost in translation.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Besides these aren't strange dogs they are my folks dog's, who she has known since she was adopted at 3 mos. Is there something I can do to stop this? Of course this kind of behavior with the wrong dog can get her killed, so should I correct her when I see her doing it? I have been telling her no. Also at the other place we used to work, there was this young dog about a yr or so old, they used to play with one another but when Buddy would join in it became a 'gang up' on Josefina every time (they didn't physically Hurt her but I could tell she wasn't having fun) one time I didn't intervene, thinking she would take care of it but she never did tell them off, but by that time buddy had gotten tired of playing (he's an older guy & isnt very energetic lol) but every time after that I saw it happening I stopped it. I didn't know if I should or shouldn't because if I did she would never learn how to tell off other dogs herself, but if I didnt I was afraid of it getting out of hand & her getting hurt.

Members online

No members online now.