She seems kinda fine boned to be a Leonberger...

Dekka

Just try me..
Sorry all- I know the breed. I would even suggest a dna to insure the dog is a Leo if the Leo had dna breed... To me its as obvious as calling a long haired whippet a borzoi...
You may know the breed. But you obviously don't know how DNA tests work. You are as likely to get a real answer as you would if you were to roll a dice with breeds stuck on instead of number.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Actually DNA is not listed with a Leo... but I made my point..( then again- doesnt list a borzoi yet either...)... hmmm I wonder- if I dna'd zubin would he come up collie, greyhound and wolf? :rofl1:

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
actually the Leo community IS tightly knit but they only know and control CLUB MEMBER BREEDINGS. There is no law that you need to be a club member...I for example, am not...nor do I plan to be until I decide if it is right for me. You can import a pair of Leo's from Europe reg w/AKC and breed them without any interference from the Club. They do NOT actually...control to that extent...zoiMom.

Leo litters are on puppyfind, they are in petstores, and there are BYB's JUST LIKE ANY OTHER BREED.

The Leo is currently in the AKC as a member of the MISCELLANEOUS group and it is expected to be entered into the Working group. When you buy a puppy...you deal with AKC if you want some sort of papers on the dog unless your breeder is with UKC. LCA is no longer issuing papers they have all been turned over to the AKC for their acceptance.

This dog looks to be a Leo X the ears and neck are wrong...the coat matches...but to me Leo X would not be a totally crazy statement. Leo rescue is extremely proactive and would likely love to look at this dog as it is easier to tell in person. They have prior taken in Leo/Saint mixes etc so if the OP needs input on Leo rescues...let me know.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Thank you, Gina. It is such a relief to know there is actually no Leonberger secret police who will get me if I obtain a Leo outside their auspices.......

It is refreshing to hear input on the subject from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.....

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
no problem. The Leo folks are NICE people...always very quick to help one another...and I'd say the club is mainly folks who just love the breed rather than with many parent clubs where its mainly breeders/exhibitors. The AKC ring is new to a lot of them and it's neat to see them go thru the AKC experience and be able to offer a small bit of advice here or there.

Right now I am learning about the breed and am doing my sponge impression...but tho they WISH that all breedings of this breed could be controlled...the reality is that joining AKC removes that, but apparently that's done and it's happened.

I have been impressed with the Leo community, one could do worse than enter into it! :)

Dekka

Just try me..
Actually DNA is not listed with a Leo... but I made my point..( then again- doesnt list a borzoi yet either...)... hmmm I wonder- if I dna'd zubin would he come up collie, greyhound and wolf? :rofl1:
Since you seem to know so much about DNA tests would you like to let the rest of us know how they work?

Paige

Let it be
I have a question. How do you pronounce Leonberger? In my head I always say it Lion-Burger

:p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I say Leon like the name Leon. that's how I remember the Leo picnic people say it when we went unintentionally LOL.

Toller_08

I say Leon like the name Leon.
That's how I say it too. And last week at the park when I was telling a lady how much I loved her Leo, she never corrected me. Lol, she was just incredibly suprised that I knew what her dog was, so probably didn't care if I'd said it wrong or not. But I'm pretty sure that's right.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Just have to chime in and say that I def. agree with the statement that no matter how high of quailty two parents might be, you can get a puppy or two that look totally different and on a totally different scale than the rest of the litter. I find that this happens less in line breeding but for the most part for a total outcross, you never know how the two lines will merge.

Its cute none the less!

Members online

No members online now.