Breed suggestions please?

Well, I've been learning a lot reading the different posts on this forum. I'd really love to get a dog. I grew up with a Springer spaniel and a beagle which you can see in my siggy. I haven' met many different breeds of dogs and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on breeds that would fit my lifestyle. I've read alot about different breeds but it isn't the same as talking to someone who owns one. Well, I'm a college student living in a 3br duplex with a small unfenced yard. There are lots of trails and parks in the area to explore. There is also a big track field across the street from me which would be a great place to play fetch. Here's what I'd like for a dog
- med. to small but not tiny (15-55 lbs)
- 2-3 45 min walks and an hour training/play session per day
- moderate shedding ok (but not blow coat like husky)
- good with cats and strangers
- okay alone for 5-6 hrs max a day
- not terribly noisy ( I realize training has a lot to do with this)
- possibly do obedience or agility

I'm very interested in boxers, std. poodles, vizlas, brittanys, bichon frises, scottish terriers, and springer spaniels, but I'm very open to other suggestions. I'm also thinking about going to a show later this summer to meet different breeds in person. This will be my first dog on my own and I really want to do everything right. I'd appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Brattina88

Going to a show is a very good idea! It gives you a chance to see the breeds and real life, and talk to some of the people that live with them everday. Out of your list, IMO I'd count out the Vizla and the Boxer. Terriers might be a challenge for a first time dog owner as well. I think some of the sporting breeds would be perfect for you - your springer spaniel (I've never owned one, so that's just playing by ear) or possible an english or american cocker.

With some of those breeds (poodle, bichon, spaniels) there needs to be quite a bit of grooming that needs to be considered as well.

I'm hoping someone comes along and posts the breed selector link that we all like so well :rolleyes: lol

Awwww, no boxer? But they're sooo cute! I realize they're bigger than my weight requirement but I love their squishy faces! lol :D

Is the k9 country quiz the one you're talking about? I've taken that and ended up with a lot of results. I'm trying to take into account some of the things the quiz didn't cover. Like sharing a wall with a neighbor! I'd love to get a beagle but the baying probably wouldn't make the neighbor happy. Greta in my siggy doesn't bay much unless there is another dog barking but While reading up it seemed some articles said a beagle makes a great apartment dog and some say not because of the baying.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yeah the K9 country quiz was the one she was more than likely talking about :)

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Honestly, I'd count out the Boxer and Viszla as well. THe Viszla because its a hound and requires consistant daily training as well as they aren't known for their recall skills and will follow their nose. I knew a Viszla in Agility and she never really went that far and she was with a professional trainer. I'm sure there are the odd few that are fabulous though.

A Boxer mainly because of the size requirement that you put out. A friend of mine has a Boxer - Riot grew up with him. It took a long time for him to "find his brains". Hes a great dog now, but when he was younger omg he had a mind of his own lol
If you liked the squishy faces, have you checked out a pug?

There is a pug in Riots RallyO classes right now and hes got to be such a smart little puppy!! Hes only 9 months old and is already in the advanced class and does better then some of the other dogs in his class.

Dont forget with a Poodle you will need consistant coat trimmings unless you learn on your own how to clip them.

Perhaps the Springer Spaniel or Brittany Spaniel would be best for you?

I think cavaliers are very adorable! But they seem to be a bit out of my price range. They usually run from 800-1500 around my area and I'm still in college.....:eek: I've heard that a lot of cavaliers have heart problems, is that just a rumor or is it true? I think your cavaliers in your siggy are gorgeous by the way!

I think pugs are cute but their faces are a little too squishy for me, lol. I guess I'm weird! Have you seen any brittanys or springers in agility summerriot?

thankyou georgy girl
yeah cavaliers do have heart problems, but mine r fine though, wot about another beagle? i love that breed

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I think cavaliers are very adorable! But they seem to be a bit out of my price range. They usually run from 800-1500 around my area and I'm still in college.....
I hate to say it but any well bred pure bred is more than likely going to cost you that. Poodles, Bichons, Havanese may be more expensive. Your sporting dogs will be up there too.

Labs can be cheaper depending on the bloodlines and if you want a working lab or a show lab. Labs she ALOT though. And are VERY high energy.

Actually around here you can get a well bred puppy whose parents had hips and eyes certified for $500-$600 dollars. I don't want a show dog, I want a pet. I'm also not ruling out rescue and in that case there aren't many cavaliers in rescues in my area.

Personally, I feel that paying over $1000 for a dog is ridiculous unless it's a rare breed or a show dog. That's just me though.

Labs are great dogs but I agree that they're probably a little to big and high energy for me. I probably could find some lab mixes in a rescue that are a little smaller and calmer.

I'd check out smaller lab mixes at shelters. Labs are big shedders, but with regular brushing it's not too much of a problem. Up until about the age of two, some labs are pretty hyper and energetic.

Standard poodles sound perfect IMO :) But I agree, check petfinder every other day or so, you are bound to find a perfect adult dog to suit your lifestyle perfectly.

Does anyone have experience with Brittanys or Springers? I had a springer spaniel growing up but I was two when we actually got her so I don't remember her early years very well. I remember she chewed up my princess shoes! lol!

Welcome! It's great that you are doing research - I wish more people would do the same.

You said you were interested in standard poodles. I have 2 and out of all the dogs I have ever had they have been the easiest to train. Farley is 7 yo & is 64 lbs and Chloe is 5 yo and 48 lbs. It is true that they do need regular grooming and my 2 get clipped every 8 wks. If kept in a shorter clip like my 2 (no foo-foo styles here:D ) it can even be stretched out longer with very little maintenance between and with a little practice you can do it yourself instead of going to a groomer. With this breed (as with any breed with floppy ears) it is important to stay on top of ear cleaning to reduce the possibility of ear infections.

This breed is great with other people & pets. They excel at obedience, agility, rally, etc. They love to retrieve & swim. They can easily keep up with pretty much any activity their human wants to participate in but are just as happy to curl up & snuggle. They are comediens in a curly suit.

I have never had a springer or brittany but have met quite a few over the years in obed. school. Both are gorgeous breeds & quite capable of doing well in obed. or agility. Having said that though out of all the springers I have met I found all except 1 were too hyper for my personal preference but this may have been due to their owners or breeding. I have a friend who had 3 French Brittany furpals which are a smaller version who were total sweethearts. Their personalities were also quite comical.

Thanks poodlesmom! Were the brittanys you met very hyper? I've heard people say that they can be hyper. Also, a few questions about poodles. How much does it usually cost to get a poodle clipped in a short clip? As far as games, do they like to play fetch or frisbee?

The French Brittanys I know aren't what I'd classify hyper. Of course 2 of them are quite aged and both of them do have Cushings Disease I believe and require meds every day. I'm not sure if that is a problem that is common in the breed. The younger guy, Chubby, is quite a comical character and all 3 of them are absolute sweethearts.

When I was initially looking for a groomer when I got Farley I found a wide range of prices, most of them being very high because they were all quoting for doing one of the fancy clips. I found a groomer who understood what I was looking for & he agreed it was a much less time consuming clip. He only charges me $55/dog but I have been taking my dogs to him since I've had them. I recently referred someone else to him and they requested a "Farley clip" so he'd know what they wanted and he quoted them $75. You could invest in some good clippers and do it yourself which is what I plan on doing when the day comes that I can finally retire or at least cut down to part time work.:)

My 2 absolutely love to play fetch whether it's outside or inside. I can be sitting there watching TV & the next thing I know I have a soft toy or ball dropped in my lap, hear a little woof & see that I have 2 dogs patiently waiting for me to throw it. The game is then on to see which one is the winner in catching it out of midair. Sometimes each brings me a toy & we have 2 games going on at once. They would go on non-stop if my arm didn't give out. Luckily they have learned when I say "enough" that the game is over for now.:)

You might consider a Rat Terrier. They fit in your preferred size range, are smart, not as noisy as hounds, are great with kids and pretty good with other animals (unlike their cousins the Jack Russells, who can be dog-aggressive), and would be great at agility or other types of competition.

Here's a couple of pics of my Rattie, Jake:

mjb

I liked the size, looks, and playfulness of many terriers, but I didn't think I was knowledgeable to handle one. Most books say terriers are for more experienced dog owners. What I would read about them seemed to fit our family, though, and many are smaller in size which was what I needed. And they are so adorable looking.
I ended up with a terrier-mix from the pound. I got him as a puppy, and his younger days were challenging. I understood when people called them terrors instead of terriers!! He is an absolutely fantastic dog, though, now 2 years old. He is great. He absolutely loves kids. He adores the cats (but the feeling is not mutual). In fact, he just loves life!! I think that's the part I liked about terriers, their zest for life!!! I would probably not get a puppy again, though. I would get an adult next time around.

Members online

No members online now.