Older Dog With a new puppy. Troubles

Simpy

Hi

I Just recently got a puppy a 4 week old GSD, owner of puppies and mother were moving so i think we got him earlier, well anyway i have also a 14 year old terrier mix. having trouble getting them to get along, well mainly older dog, the puppy i think has *HIM* made out to be his mother, first time they meet my older dog chance was sleeping and puppy tried to suckle. Didn't work out to well chance ran off to another room.

The puppy seems to cry and whine crazy like for him, gets along with neighbors golden retriever as do the older one. The pup is now 8 weeks old, for most of the time I have had a baby gate to keep them apart my older dog seems not to bark or go to attack him only growls a little and turns and goes away. I think maybe some of its the puppy going really crazy to get at him, the puppy only does it to him.

chance the older dog really doesn't get along with many other dogs only few of neighbors he loves to play with everyday in the garden, I want them to get along i don;t wanna give the puppy away, but I can't get rid of the old time to much love for him, had him to long. Chance only seems to make a growl while puppy is cryin and whining for him crazy like, so i have to put chance out for him to calm down a little. Unsure what to do. Thx people great forums. :)

bubbatd

I feel sorry for the older dog and the pup . Four weeks is way too young .

Dekka

Just try me..
4 weeks is to young, and you will have to work SOOOO hard to help the pup grow up to be a good dog. Your pup is likely to have issues with other dogs as he missed critical periods of learning with his littermates (that is why its illegal in many places to sell pups before 6-7 weeks, its not healthy on so many levels.)

I suggest you find a good behaviourist and start working with your pup (and older dog) now. It will likely be a long road, but it can be done.

lizzybeth727

chance the older dog really doesn't get along with many other dogs only few of neighbors he loves to play with everyday in the garden
I think, when you get a new dog, your old dog has to be the biggest consideration. YOU want a puppy... but does your dog want a puppy? Just like all the humans in the household have to be on board before you get a new pet, the other animals in the household also have to be on board. I've been thinking about getting a puppy myself; last week I was dogsitting and realized that my cat does NOT want me to get another dog, it stressed her out too much and took too much of my attention away from her. Would it work better if I just made extra time to spend with the cat? Or managed the situation better so that the cat didn't stress out so much with the dog around? Yeah, it would work much better. But am I realistically going to do that? No. So am I now going to get a puppy? NO.

Often, too, puppies are overwhelming to older dogs. Older dogs often just want to chill out and lay around all day, and they should be allowed to do that. To bring a puppy into the picture, especially such a young and "needy" puppy (since he came away from his litter mates so young, he really needs to spend a lot of time with other dogs to learn dog manners), can be very stressful for older dogs.

I do also suggest getting a behaviorist who can help you out, but I want to stress that you need to do it SOON. While the puppy is young, adult dogs are more tolerant of his annoying ways. But when he reaches just a few months old, the older dogs are no longer as tolerant and will definately loose patience. Good luck!

antipunt1

I can testify to the 7-8 weeks old rule, not just for the dogs' benefit, but ours as well haha. My puppy was received at 6 weeks, and even that was kind of early. We had to work extra hard on bite-inhibition and whatnot, because she had not received such training for her littermates.

So it's good for them, and good for us. My aunt has a dog she's had since 4 months and...uhm..yeah...she's kind of .. :eek: (important to note she doesn't know much about dogs, so she never sought out a behaviorist or anything.)

Simpy

Thx for the replies there's one thing i gotta say there is nothing like a dog behaviorist anywhere around where I live, mostly small towns. The reason I got him so young is owner of mother pretty much moved a week later to pretty much other side of country, him and his wife are both in mid 60's and wanted to be closer to there children.

I do wish he was a little older when we got him, He doesn't pee often in the home he goes straight to the door when he needs to poo, he sits and gives paw, he does bite a little hard at time but if u make a pain sound he doesn't bite as hard, but his teeth are so sharp.

I'm unsure what to do about him and my older dog chance doesn't mind him when he isn't going crazy trying to get at him, the puppy plays with other dogs fine. I had a 16 year old GSD female when i first got chance, well my dad did. Was kinda same way with her, she would give him a nip to know the boundaries and they got along pretty good. But chance isn't big on other dogs. I was thinking would a muzzle be alright to test and see how he reacts to the puppy if i let them together and watch what they do, I don't mean on all the time, I just mean to see how/what he does maybe they will play or not.

bubbatd

If it doesn't upset the older dog too much and no one would be hurt , I'd let Chance discipline him . I had some Goldens who didn't appreciate their Granddogs !

lizzybeth727

I was thinking would a muzzle be alright to test and see how he reacts to the puppy if i let them together and watch what they do, I don't mean on all the time, I just mean to see how/what he does maybe they will play or not.
NOOOO.

Muzzles are necessary when the dog is really aggressive or has a bite history and MUST be put in a situation where he is likely to bite. It is a last resort, management tool, not at all an appropriate training tool.

The reason is, dogs communicate through their mouthes.... not only biting, but their facial expressions. The puppy absolutely NEEDS to learn what these facial expressions mean, or he will have a hard time getting along with any dog he is with. It's also extremely frustrating for the dog wearing the muzzle, his entire defense mechanism is lost. Imagine being scared of snakes, and then being thrown in a snake pit with your hands tied behind your back.

I do agree that sometimes the best thing to do is to let the dogs settle these things on their own.

Where do you live? Maybe someone here could help you find a trainer?

Simpy

I live in Newfoundland Province in Canada, I live in central part. My town is only about 800 people biggest places in my area except for capital is about 20,000 people. Should i let the puppy get a little larger before i let them meet with a gate or is now as good as anytime.

Ilyena

Personally I would keep the dogs separated with babygates, so the old dog does not have to put up with the pup's behaviour, and only have them together short periods that you can supervise. Whenever you can't keep your eyes on the dogs, they should be separated. They might with plenty of time and positive experiences get used to each other, especially once the puppy comes out of his first year or two of puppy madness and is able to act more mature. The puppy does however need lots of positive experiences with other dogs that can teach him everything he missed out on when he did not get to stay with his mom & littermates until 8 weeks of age, but I don't know what the best way to accomplish that would be. I would at least not expect the older dog to put up with the pup and teach him proper dog behaviour when you said he's not big on other dogs.

Simpy

They been around each other with baby gates for about 4 and half weeks now. I ment he doesn't like random dogs coming around him or his territory he really freaks out. But neighbors dogs are fine, he been around them since they were pups and they get along good. Chance is fine around pup when there buy the baby gates until pup starts to freak out cry and whine then he growls a little and walks away.

Hi Simpy, I know what you're going thru, I'm in a similar situation.

The attitude I've taken is, dogs are pack animals. And pack animals want to be together with you, the pack leader!:)
In a pack, the pack leader won't allow another dog to hurt a puppy, the pack leader will protect the puppy.

So the gate is a good thing, you are protecting the pup. But you need to have some times when you are in a room with both dogs. I think the key is to choose the right time. It needs to be a time that is good for the older dog Chance. A time when Chance is not hungry or not too tired.

I would then pick the puppy up and sit in a room with Chance there too. Then put the puppy down on the floor, and if you can, get down on the floor with the puppy and Chance. Now you have to watch things very closely. You have to give them a chance to sniff each other, and see how things go. If the puppy is too active, getting too close to Chance, and Chance is starting to growl, then you might need to pick the puppy up again.

The object is to teach them what you will and will not tolerate. Chance needs to know you won't allow the puppy to wear him out, and the puppy needs to know he can't dive into Chance and invade his space. So it becomes a learning experience for you and the dogs.

At some point, let the dogs be together but with you in the room with them. Just observing them. You must expect that Chance will nip at the pup. But that is a good thing, because Chance is trying to teach the pup what he can and cannot do. Don't fuss at Chance if he nips at the pup. Stand back and watch closely. If it excalates into a fight, then step in immediately to protect the pup.

Remember, a pack leader(you) won't allow a dog to hurt a pup. But nipping and "mild" growling is not hurting the pup, it's teaching the pup manners.
The pup will learn to respect Chance, and learn what Chance will and will not tolerate. With you standing close by as a referee. As much as possible, don't interfere, let the dogs be, only step in if the puppy gets too active or Chance gets too aggressive.

I would try doing this a couple times a day, maybe 10-15 minutes at a time.
If things go well, you could increase the time they spend together, but you will always need to let Chance have lots of time alone without the pup to bother him.

Having said all this, I must tell you I am having trouble with my dogs, so my advice should probably be approved by others here.:)

Simpy

Thx alot for you're post snorzzz, been kinda busy fixing the fence so dogs have a place to play. A lot of good info, going to try some of it out soon after i get this darn thing up so i can use that area to get them together, atleast i hope so. puppy seems to get along with most other dogs, he doesn't go crazy and think there his mother like chance i guess, poor male dog is now a mommy.
lol.

Again thx alot for good info on all the replies.:D

Members online

No members online now.