new dog

shrew

My 9 week old border collie X gsd so far has had 4 accidents inside and she did 2 poos and 1 wee in her place outside. She howls most of the time even when she does not need to go. She pees as soon as we put her back in the crate after spending 10- 15 mins outside. Dont know what to do.

Maxy24

Hi and welcome to Chazhound! The simple answer to your problems is that you have a puppy. If you didn't want to have these sort of problems you should have adopted an adult. I didn't mean to sound harsh since I was not trying to be, you are here and looking for help so I commend you, Puppies are difficult.

First I need to ask you a few questions. How often do you take her out? You said when you take her out she goes pee in the crate when she comes in so, Does she go to the bathroom outside during this time? Is the dog's crate too large?(the crate should only be big enough for her to stand up, lie down and turn around).

For accidents make sure you clean them with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If the dog can smell his urine (even i you can't) she will continue to go in that place.

When she goes to the bathroom outside what do you do? When she goes inside what do you do?

For the howling I would make another thread either in the puppy section or the training section because the answers for those can be very long. Does she only howl at night/when in the crate?

How long have you had her?

do a search with the search tool in the puppy section and the training section for house breaking and you should find lots of info there.

I'm sure you'll learn a lot here and I hope you enjoy the forum :D

Hi...welcome to Chaz!!!!

I agree with Brattina....you have a puppy, and that's how puppies are most of the time when they're little. I also would suggest making your pups area in the crate large enough only for it to turn around. If there is too much room, they're more likely to relieve themselves in that area.

Puppies need to be taken out after they wake up, eat and at least every couple of hours. When my puppies were little, I would take them out every hour at first if at all possible. Make sure not to allow your pup to run around the house unsupervised. This will help minimize the risk of accidents. If you're not able to be right near, put the pup in the crate.

When your puppy does potty outside, make sure that you give lot's of praise and a treat.

I know that it's really frustrating at first, but hang in there and be patient!!!! It will get better!!! Good luck!!:)

My 9 week old border collie X gsd so far has had 4 accidents inside and she did 2 poos and 1 wee in her place outside. She howls most of the time even when she does not need to go. She pees as soon as we put her back in the crate after spending 10- 15 mins outside. Dont know what to do.
Welcome to chaz , Try not to get to upset with her yet. House breaking does take time.

Members online