What to do with heartworm pills that are no longer needed??

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I still have a few heartworm pills that were left over from when Chloe was in the 26-50 lb range...but since she went to the vet last for her heartworm test, I had to order her new ones because now she is in the 51-100 lb range... (she is 53 lbs by the way)....

I guess what I want to know is, does the 3 pounds really make a difference, or should I just throw them away ??

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I have the regular Intereptor....

She was in the yellow package and now is in white package

Yellow - 11.5 mg
White - 23.0 mg

bubbatd

They should have sold you a small dog dose to add until yours are used up . for a while my vet didn't worry about that much difference until she had some heartworm cases that were on the borderline . I'd rather be safe than sorry . After having 3 foster dogs under my care with heartworm , it sure ain't fun and the prevention is much cheaper than the cure ! If you do have pills left over ... take them to your HS or a rescue .

jess2416

Who woulda thought
They should have sold you a small dog dose to add until yours are used up . for a while my vet didn't worry about that much difference until she had some heartworm cases that were on the borderline . I'd rather be safe than sorry . After having 3 foster dogs under my care with heartworm , it sure ain't fun and the prevention is much cheaper than the cure ! If you do have pills left over ... take them to your HS or a rescue .
Thanks grammy :D she wasn't due till today, and by this time I had already received my new order of pills...but I was thinking the same thing, I was just wanting to confirm my thoughts :)

bubbatd

At least you care , and that's what matters . Too many dogs show up in rescue or the HS because people don't give the pills and won't treat because of the cost .

I have the regular Intereptor....

She was in the yellow package and now is in white package

Yellow - 11.5 mg
White - 23.0 mg
The "Safeheart" dose is FDA approved.

The recommended dosage:
2 - 50 lbs. One Tablet (2.3 mg)
50.1 - 125 lbs. One Tablet (5.75 mg)

Members online

No members online now.