Trifexis

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Would you use it long term? Have you used it and liked it? Did it ward off all the nasty bugs (including fleas)? And go.

FG167

Yes, yes, as far as I could tell. I used it for several years in MI. Once we came to TN, and adopted Steele and started fostering, things got PRICEY so now I'm doing Ivermectin/dewormer/Preventic myself. I was super happy with Trifexis though. When my dogs first started, I cut the pill in half and gave half with breakfast, half with dinner. Once they were on it for several months, I went to just giving it with breakfast.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I used it while Novartis was down. It seemed to work just fine. It was really frickin' expensive though. And since it doesn't work on ticks I still used Frontline, and I hate having to give the flea meds in Trifexis and use the topical.
Of course there's really no other option now since Interceptor is no more and Sentinel has flea meds in it, so no matter what, I'm having to combo the topical during risk-of-tick months. Nothing to do about it. =/ But the Sentinel is cheaper, so we switched back over to that. Otherwise I would still be using Trifexis.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Love Trifexis and highly recommend it, especially if you aren't worried about ticks. If you are, you'll have to use a topical anyway, and then it becomes a bit more expensive than its worth.

I personally can't afford it, so I use Sentinel plus a topical during tick risk times.

meepitsmeagan

Good to know! I normally just throw on a quick tick resister spray before a big hike, so not too worried about that.. mainly HW and fleas.

I guess I will price it out next time I'm at the vet! I just gave a round of Comfortis because I COULD NOT get rid of the small amount of fleas on Harlow... I just feel uncomfortable giving that long term. :/

Saeleofu

I just gave a round of Comfortis because I COULD NOT get rid of the small amount of fleas on Harlow... I just feel uncomfortable giving that long term. :/
Trifexis has comfortis in it. It's basically comfortis plus interceptor

meepitsmeagan

Trifexis has comfortis in it. It's basically comfortis plus interceptor
Oh! Well that's definitely good to know! Obviously I haven't looked any further than Chaz on Trifexis. :eek:

There haven't been any known ill long term effects on organs or anything because of it?

Saeleofu

Oh! Well that's definitely good to know! Obviously I haven't looked any further than Chaz on Trifexis. :eek:

There haven't been any known ill long term effects on organs or anything because of it?
Not as far as I've seen. They recommend not using it in dogs with seizure disorders. They have done collie-specific safety studies, which I like.

meepitsmeagan

Not as far as I've seen. They recommend not using it in dogs with seizure disorders. They have done collie-specific safety studies, which I like.
Fabulous! That was my biggest concern.. For the convenience and lack of topical needs I'm willing to pay a little more.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan has been on Trifexis for the past two years, basically since Justin was born. Justin has his hands all over Morgan all the time, so I wanted to avoid using topical medication if at all possible.

I have been happy overall with the results. No side effects at all. Still have never seen a flea. I do still keep Frontline on hand to apply for camping/hiking trips, or any other case when ticks are a more distinct risk. (As compared to my neighborhood.)

doggiecat

I recommend trifexis to all my clients. Besides the cost it's a very safe drug. If you see any side effects (e.g. tremors, vomiting) then best to switch to something else. I've seen some vomiting but no tremors. Probably have prescribed it to hundreds of dogs.

Members online

No members online now.