Comign soon!

Alyusha

I get my puppie this sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All week i have been getting thing ready i was just wondering if maybe i forgot somthing...

I have already gone shopign for everything. made hima bed and all made an outsid pen. What else have i forgoten?

Just make sure he's got some toys and give him an old T-shirt or something like that with your smell on it to sleep with (just make sure it doesn't have buttons or anything that he might pull off and choke on.) As long as he's got chow and a dish, fresh water and you, I think he'll be a very happy and lucky little pup.

Here's a suggestion that's been a big help to me teaching my pups to walk on a leash: get a harness. A harness gives you a lot more control without having to resort to a choke chain, and it makes it a lot easier on you, especially with a breed that's going to be large like a Rottie. My little Kharma went nuts on a collar and leash, but as soon as I got the harness on her she calmed right down and enjoyed being able to go places with me. The harnesses are adjustable, so you don't have to go up a size as often as you would with a regular collar, although if you're in town or in the suburbs you still need to have your dog collared at all times with ID and rabies tags.

Is your baby going to be spending time inside? I'd strongly suggest that he sleep indoors, particularly while he is a puppy as he will be very vulnerable to being stolen.

Here's something Charlie's taught me about raising big dogs, especially big-boned ones, and since you're in the Chicago area, you should be able to get it without a problem. Go to a livestock supply or farmers' co-op and get a bag of calf milk replacer. The milk fat is extracted from it, so you're getting all the nutrients without the fat, and it is fantastic for helping your puppy to build strong, strong bones and teeth and good solid muscles. Just mix it according to the directions on the bag. He'll probably only drink half a cup to a cup at first, but you'll know when to increase the amount. Shiva will drink five or six pints at this point, but Kharma only drinks about a pint and a half or so. Don't give it to your adult dogs, as some of them just can't assimilate the milk after they are grown. My Bimmer drank it and I've never seen a dog so miserable!

Oh, and make sure you have plenty of paper towels, newspapers and non-ammonia, odor neutralizing cleaner 'cause there will be accidents! (lol)

These next few days will be the longest days to wait, but it will all be worth it when you have your little Alyusha home with you.

Alyusha

I have pretty much got all that. I had a dream about him last night :-d. You have a dog named Kharma? Thats weird because i named one of my old female rotts Karma. The days seem longer then they really are. I keep thinking it is monday or tuesday, but its really thursday. But thats ok, it will give me time to prepare.

He will be sleeping inside next to me. I am only going to use a crate for the frist few nights, and when im gone for the first monh or two. Just becuase I am going to be using he crate the breeder give me, and that will not fit him for too long.

I just really cant wait. The breeder has been telling me all kinds of storys. Alyusha is the biggest pup of the litter, so as you can guess he is the 'top dog' and it shows. He was laying on top of the food dish one morning and was growling at the other pups. It may not be the best thing, but it's still cute.

That's funny! Kharma's breeder, Judy, e-mailed me stuff about her, too. Evidently she was quite the little dominatrix with her littermates, too. She was the first one to eat food - and didn't want to let her littermates have any when they figured it out, growling and lunging at them. Whenever she heard Judy coming, Kharma ran to the gate and insisted on being picked up, and she didn't want to let the other pups have any attention. There was one male pup that would challenge her, but other than him, none of them wanted to cross her.

That's neat that you had a Rottie named Karma! There was a reason behind Kharma's name: our first Fila, Buffy, was poisoned when she was just two years old and we all (Charlie, Bimmer and I) have grieved and grieved for her. We wanted another female from her bloodlines for many reasons, including the fact that she was an amazing herd dog and had a very "hard" Fila temperament. Buffy's mother only had one more litter after Buffy's, but Kharma is out of Cagney, one of the females from that last litter. Cagney had the same mother as Buffy, but a different father, so they bred Cagney to the dog, Gamble, who was Buffy's father and the pups out of that litter, including Kharma, were just incredible. Kharma has a quite a few personality quirks that are siimilar to her aunt Buffy, and she's already showing quite an interest in the cows. Even at three months old, she's very particular about who she chooses to allow to touch her, holding herself aloof from some people, inviting others to pet her, and on rare occassions, actually approaching someone and slurping their face if they get close enough. She's very much the little diva, too! No goofing around or playing the clown like Shiva loves to do! Kharma's very dignified and poised for a puppy. Kharma's also very protective in the same way Buffy was. If she hears something outside, she's out the door with the big dogs, growling and ready to take on the world. I have to go out with her to make sure she doesn't try to follow them and get in over her head! Shiva actually had more sense about it when she was little; she let Bimmer go take care of the problem and made sure she was out of the way. Of course all that has changed now, Shiva's right there with him, ready to take on the world, whether it's strangers or coyotes or something unknown. If they can just keep Kharma out of the way until she's big enough to help!

Alyusha

dogs are amazing... The shirt idea i think is a good one. I have alot to do today.. So it will keep my mind off Alyusa untill tomorrow. Then i just have to live out saturday and sunday morning. But its all worth it!

Members online

No members online now.