pray for sparky to be abandoned.

Ok to make a long story short, my husbands mom is getting a divorce (divorce #2, the guy is justin's step dad). He's renting a place. He has a dog that he left and my mother-in-laws house. She thinks he is coming back for her, as he is not yet moved out completly. I've always felt SO bad for this dog. No vet care but generally a good weight, good skin condition, looks generally healthy. The problem is this, she ONLY eats table scraps (no dog food!) so she gets whats left over. She has a water bucket within her reach but its questionable as to how offten it is fresh (maybe just every time it rains)? my husband's step dad had the dog since before he married his mom and she has never had anything to do with it (if you knew the guy, its "his dog" so he will take care of it how "he wants"). Here's my biggest bif and what makes me SOOOOOOOOO mad. Since the dog could walk it's never and I mean NEVER been off its 6 foot chain. Not once. Just enough to loosen the collar as she grew. Never known what its like to run. Never been in a house. She has a shed for shelter that she can go in but thats been her life for the last 10 years. She's horribly sweet, lays down whenever anyone comes near her so she can be rubbed. She doesnt bark, she doesnt jump up on things, she doesn't chew on things within reach, she's just genuinely a GOOD dog with a horrible life. I'm hoping he doesnt come back for her because I have full intentions of taking her if he doesnt.
pray for sparky to be abandoned. its the only way she can have a better life.
Meagan

Fran27

It's so sad :( Hopefully the way you talk about that guy he doesn't care enough to 'encumber' himself with a dog. Hopefully. Honestly I would go ahead and take care anyway, if he leaves her alone outside your mom can just say she got stolen or something. Let us know how it goes.

I won't go as far as to steel her, just for the pure fact I wont make his mom lie to his stepdad while they are trying to work out custody arranagements without taking it to court, but if he leaves here there for another few days, I know she's not getting fed, adn I'll take her.
Meagan

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Poor dog. It's a tricky situation but I hope you can get her out of there and give her the life she deserves.

I offered, but it wasn't my mother-in-laws decision to make. He is going to come and get the rest of his stuff on Wed. and I told her if sparky was still there I'd take her. I think if I took her without his permission he'd be utterly POed. Not for the fact that I think he really wants her but just because of the situation. I was thinking even if I cant keep her (I rent and already have one dog) I know I could keep her until I could find her another home, my landlords are careful not stone-hearted!
I'll let you know what happens. I'm really praying for her. I've always felt bad for her because I knew she was tied up outside SOME of the time, and I knew they didnt let her in the house, but I didnt know they NEVER let her off the chain until just recently. I think my husband saw the fire in my eyes because he changed the subject until we got to the car!
Meagan

PS I really want to see the joy in that dog when that chain comes off of her and she realizes she's free....what do you think she'd do? I wonder if she'd do anything. After 10 years living like that... It might take a while to sink in but she'd find a happiness she'd never known....

Maybe you could arrange for her to "get loose" and if the humane officer just "happened" to find her . . . Sparky's erstwhile 'owner' probably wouldn't bother to reclaim her . . . and you might have an arrangement to pick her up after a couple of days . . .

Always scheming, lol!

Haha thats a good one but she'd get hit by a car before a human officer found her. I've never seen a humane officer in my life. the cops pick up strays around where I live but only if they are causing problems. Not entirely uncommon for people to let the dogs roam around loose anyway. The town they live in is only about 100 people big. My old town was 12,000 and they didnt have humane officers. I now live in Sioux city, IA and I cant be sure, becuase they have a shelter, but I think they just have cops that pick up animals too. I could be wrong. I've never seen any anyway. I wish we had them.
I'd steel her, and maybe I could dye her fur all black so they wouldn't recognize her....
because my hubbys' half sister (9yrs old) will be visiting us even if his (soon to be ex) step-dad wouldnt.....
sigh i feel so hopeless.

avenlee

Renee750il said:
Maybe you could arrange for her to "get loose" and if the humane officer just "happened" to find her . . . Sparky's erstwhile 'owner' probably wouldn't bother to reclaim her . . . and you might have an arrangement to pick her up after a couple of days . . .

Always scheming, lol!
LMAO Renee, I can seee those wheels turning in your head. What a tough situation! Maybe your mother, or is it mother-in-law?, could just mention that you'd be interested in taking the dog if he doesn't want it. In a nonconfronting way. Maybe he'd be glad to get the dog off his hands? I know, easier said then done. But, it might make matters worse by 'stealing' the dog.

I LOVE THE UNDERGROUND DOGGIE RAILROAD IDEA THOUGH LOLOLOLOL toooo funny

showpug

You said that you know that she is not getting fed...isn't that illegal and animal cruelty :confused: I would snatch her up now and if they have a problem with it then they should not have starved her. That's just my opinion :rolleyes:

avenlee

Yeah, but still (possession is 1/10 of the law) and legally its the dad's dog no matter what. Unless some series of unfortunate events happen :rolleyes: LOL I'm having too much fun with this thread.

Doberluv

Ooooo...I like Renee's idea. That poor dog. I do hope he decides to just leave her there so someone else can give her a good life. Keep us updated. You have a good heart.

Irish

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. . . .

I will be praying for Sparky, please let us know what happens.

Members online

No members online now.