American Cocker Spaniel so misunderstood

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Ever since we got Tucker I can't beleive how many people make comments on how Cocker Spaniels airn't the brightest bulbs in the box :mad: . Or people get the though in their head that they airn't house trainable. Now yes its tough to house train or atleast Tucker has his moments but no more then any other puppy.

Thing is their not dumb they can just be stubborn at times. Tucker will do anything just to please me and a treats always good too ;) . He learned how to sit, lie down, crawl, spin, and shake all in one day each. He catches on really quickly and I always make it fun for him. He knows the word crate because when we say it he goes right up into it and lays down. He knows stay and is awsome at holding himself back. He knows what bad boy means and we have even turned it into a trick. When I say bad boy he lies down and puts his head on his paws. He knows the words walk and outside and car. He's 5 months old and he understands all this and he came to us with out any previous training.

So I really never want to hear that Cocker Spaniels airn't smart dogs. Brattina or any other Cocker Spaniel owners who are here don't you agree? Atleast with American Cocker Spaniels? Now I did hear that American Cockers are a bit smarter then English Cockers but I don't know.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I dont know alot about American Cockers, but if he learned all that then of course he is brilliant, but I think all dogs are... :D

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
my neighbor when i was little had one he was gross i wish i knew what i know now that it was his ears that smelled so bad and was never potty trained there arnt any where i live .. weird huh .. there very cute tho i wish there were more

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive had english and american cockers, not ill say this, english cockers arnt uninteligent in any way shape or form and i wouldnt say smarter or dumber than an american, they just tend to have a slightly higher work drive and generally the higher the work drive the more stubborn the dog!
that being said, cockers have ben given many a bad name in general and i think its because unfortunatly ther a favorite with back yard breeders and puppy mills producing dogs with less than desirable temperments and traits.

a cocker spaniel should be inteligent and friendly!
our current cocker is and american english mix he was housebroken literally overnight (he had never been potty trained prior) hes the sweetest dog in the world (a little shy over strangers but thats due to lack of early socilization he was 16 weks when we got him) hes VERY inteligent, he knows a veriety of trick and knows that if noone will play fetch its just as easy to roll the ball down the stairs and play alone he is as i said 100% house broken, he knows to come ask us when he wants to go out (wasnt taught that he taught us his cues and will come over and put his paw on your lap them run to the top of the stairs, if you dont pay attention he goes to the door and scratches it then barks once)
on the "canine intelligence test" he scored top scores
however he does have what i like to call selective hearing. like if hes taken one of the chihuahuas treats he knows that if he looks at us he'll get it taken off him (he has his own treats) so instead he literally turns his back on us and continues chewing...

hes our cheeky charlie boy, but hes not even remotly DUMB!

T

tessa_s212

I live with 7 cockers. I also get the chance to work with many breeds, some definitely more intelligent than a cocker.

Being able to work with say, a BC, gives me the oppurtunity to understand why peopel that are used to the intelligence of the BC cannot relate to how we can't see our cockers as dumb. My cockers aren't dumb, they just like to make me laugh. ;) :p

But yes, cockers are very willing to please. But, they can be lacking in the intelligence part. But, their willingness to learn makes up for the slightly slower learning progress. (Where as with the more intelligent dogs, they can be stubborn and more "do it their way".)

Part of the problem with the American Cocker Spaniel's image is the so many that come from BYBs. Many times you DO find cockers that are almost impossible to housebreak, a lot that pee when excited, and some are actually not very bright due to lack of training.

I have had someone tell me my cocker ws dumb before. I then asked them what title THEIR dog had. Mine has SEVERAL(at least 10) agility titles, two obedience titles, a CGC and TDI to her name, as well as her knowing many many cute tricks. :D When someone tells me cockers are stupid, I just take it as an oppurtunity to brag about my babies. :D

I know that I don't talk about my cockers much, just Marq, Cocoa, and my other dogs in my Sig, but if you want to read about and see my other cocker babies go here www.freewebs.com/tessa_s212

RD

Are you dead yet?
I've groomed quite a few American cockers and my biggest problem with the dogs lies with the people who own them. :rolleyes: A lot of the cockers I've had contact with have been VERY snappy and mean. Just poor temperaments. :( I know it's not the breed, but the individuals, but it does give one a bad impression.

I do think that a well bred Cocker is one of the CUTEST dogs, though. I can't resist those soft faces.

Brattina88

Oh, I totally agree!

Out of all of my dog, the cocker was the easiest/fastest/funnest to train. She's so eager to please, and catches on very quickly!

Cocker's were very popular for a good reason, they're awesome little dogs. What the breed has almost turned into is scary and sad. I was at petsmart last night and a worker walked up to me and asked if Massie was friendly. I said, overly friendly! and told her to go ahead and pet her. She bent down, and you know cockers are serious hams! She was leaning and rolling to be petted. The worker said to me "This is the first nice cocker I have ever met in my life" and told me about her grandparents 2 cockers and showed me a scare on her hand :(

I was proud it was Maddie, but saddened that it's this way with my breed.

I'm not blind, I've also seen snappy ones, serious submissive wetters, and very stubborn block-heads. That's why its SO important not to support the BYB who are continuing to do this to the breed! I understand why people say these things, but it frustrates me to no end!

Breeders are working hard to restore the breed to its best, and undo all of the damage done by popularity. This isn't the only breed that's been effected by popularity... Its awful how people ruin what they love the most, and that goes for a lot of things.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Alot of people confuse stuborn and stupid.

Take emma. 99% of the people who know her cant even make her sit, yet she is close to being tiral ready (agilty). She just usually gives most people the "Scr** you" look or the "make me" look.

moondog

I have two ACS's and come across these stereotypes all the time. I was nervous about taking them to the groomers for their first time because of things I've heard and was even told by the groomers that they have to be wary of cockers biting and barking so I stayed and watched. They were perfectly behaved and I was then told that my cockers must be very laid back...they're actually usually bursting wih playful energy, just very obedient when called for. In fact, my dogs were the most well behaved dogs there. When we go to the park most people can't believe that my dogs are cockers because they run so fast and are so social. People forget that cockers are in the sporting group/are hunting dogs and are surprised that "I've taught them" to fetch (duh they've done that since I got them at 8weeks old). I've been very lucky and didn't put in too much work: they both housetrained themselves right away, learned tons of commands quickly, seem to understand english (which is why I talk to them all the time), are both pretty healthy, and I don't need to take them to the groomers much. They're so eager to please that they learn so quickly and actually seem smarter than my German Shephard I grew up with. How do people gage dog intelligence anyways? All the cockers I come across are also so friendly, happy and playful too! Maybe, I guess all the bad ones are kept at home or at the vets and don't go out much????
I think that some poeple just can't believe such a beautiful dog can be so smart, obedient, playful, fun, loving and active all in one package!
Cockers RULE.

Yup, I agree cockers rule! I have encountered many negative comments as well followed by amazement that my Shadow is a jolly, gentle boy.
My vet makes remarks all the time that cockers are not a good breed and have many health problems...he even said that the next time I should consider changing breed....it's more likely that I will change vet.
I absolutely love my american cocker....he very well behaved and soooo loving and I'm sure most of them are. People just have to quit generalizing...there are good and bad in every breed.

bubbatd

I'm hoping the breed will come back. They were too much in demand during Roosevelt's era and were over breed. I feel now the show breeders are concentrating more on feathering and not disposition . I've know a few " nice " ones, but too many with attitudes. I'm glad some of you have some great ones.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
FoxyWench said:
i think its because unfortunatly ther a favorite with back yard breeders and puppy mills producing dogs with less than desirable temperments and traits.
a cocker spaniel should be inteligent and friendly!
I totally agree!
I have one lil cocker named Sophie the sofa dog. She is sweet and intelligent.

elegy

overdogged
i announced at work (i'm a vet tech) the other day that i think i want a field-bred cocker spaniel for my next dog. i'm specifically looking for a dog to run in agility. every single person there said "oh my god, you don't want a cocker spaniel!" either because they're "nasty little biting dogs" or because of their terrible ears and immune issues or because they submissive pee.

i still think a responsibly bred cocker would be a good choice for me, though. they're smart, responsive, athletic dogs, which is exactly what i want.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
wow even people who are supposed to be educated *rolls eyes*

if you go with a well bred feild cocker belive me youll be addicted!!! there wonderfull dogs!
if your looking for real good feild lines you could also look into the english cocker, slightly different boddy and head shape but there still very close to their working lines! our current cocker is an american x english cocker and hes wonderfull!

all you need is a good breeder!

DanL

A lady in one of our training classes had 2- a brother and sister. They were very well behaved but she spent a LOT of time working them. They were testing to be Delta therapy dogs and were very nice. My wife worked at a vet for 8 years and had her share of experience with the nasty, biting, peeing cockers as well.

PFC1

I have said this before, but I will repeat it here: Intelligence in pet dogs is highly over-rated. (Just my opinion, of course.) I will take a great temperment, and a willingness to please me over intelligence any day of the week for a family companion. Intelligent dogs are much, much harder for people to deal with. Sure, if you are going to use the dog for work or competition, intelligence is very important. But if you just want a dog for the family who isn't going to eat the couch whenever you leave, generally smarter is not necessarily better.

It's such a shame about cockers. Their rep really does contain more than a grain of truth, but they've been out of style for long enough that they should be making a comeback in temperament. And we need them to come back. There's a huge need for a nice small/medium breed. Look at how popular the JRTs were, and they were terriers. A nice small spaniel would be perfect for a lot of people. It's good to know that there are nice ones out there, and owners doing their best to prove that the breed's improved.

like some1 said cockers became very popular so many came from back yard breeders, then those became snappy and mean. if you get one from a proper breeder then they are are some of the best little dogs eva..

Members online

No members online now.