Dry Skin?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizzie's been scratching like crazy lately. I've checked her for fleas ot ticks. None.

She gets Fish Oil, Vit. E, and eats Canidae ALS.

What could it be? Should I try a different food?

BTW, it's just started about 2 weeks ago. She's gotten a bath with just her regular shampoo(Earth Bath Mango Tango).

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yup, she just went for her check up about 2/3 weeks ago.

Brattina88

Missy has been doing this as well. I suspect it may be due to the fact that she's shedding like crazy. The weather keeps switching from cold to hot - I don't think her coat knows what to do :p
I'd be interested in any info as well :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
The weather has been switching like that too. But she's not shedding that much.

I'm not sure, I might try another food.

Herschel

Did the vet mention anything that could be causing it? Are allergens high in your area right now? Did she scrape Lizzie's skin to see if was mites or something? Did she recommend Benadryl?

If you want to change foods, go for it. However, if the food wasn't causing problems 1 month ago, why would it be causing problems now?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Uhm, no, she started after we went to the vet.

I'm going up their tomorrow for a class. I'll ask them about it.

I forgot to answer this question though...."Are allergens high in your area right now?"
No, allergies run very high here year-round.

Herschel

Uhm, no, she started after we went to the vet.

I'm going up their tomorrow for a class. I'll ask them about it.

I forgot to answer this question though...."Are allergens high in your area right now?"
No, allergies run very high here year-round.
Specific allergens? For people or for dogs? (They react differently to different things than we do)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No, just a high area for allergies. Nothing specific and we've not done a thing differently or had anything to eat thats not normal.

I'm going to try some Jac' Daniels (I think thats what it's called, it's canned fish/oil) to see if it'll help clear it up.

If it doesn't, I'll be changing foods.

ACooper

Is the "itching like crazy" just in one or two spots or basically all over?

I ask because a several months back Orson suffered some type of bite (as in an insect) It caused him severe itchiness in one spot, and a little bald spot about the size of a quarter appeared from the constant itching.

So if she got an ant bite/bites or some type of bug bite it could be that.......just throwing one more suggestion out there for ya to consider :)

A

Angel Chicken

Lizmo, someone recommended EarthBath's oatmeal shampoo for Kona.

Maybe try that before switching foods? I wouldn't switch Lizz's food unless this prollem had started right when she began to eat it. Food isn't always the basis of skin problems :)

Try to give her Benedryl also.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Is the "itching like crazy" just in one or two spots or basically all over?

I ask because a several months back Orson suffered some type of bite (as in an insect) It caused him severe itchiness in one spot, and a little bald spot about the size of a quarter appeared from the constant itching.

So if she got an ant bite/bites or some type of bug bite it could be that.......just throwing one more suggestion out there for ya to consider :)
It's itching all over...:( Poor girl, she's driving herself crazy. I've looked her over completely a few times, and nothing. I hesitate to put flea medication on her for fear of it just making it worse.

Lizmo, someone recommended EarthBath's oatmeal shampoo for Kona.

Maybe try that before switching foods? I wouldn't switch Lizz's food unless this prollem had started right when she began to eat it. Food isn't always the basis of skin problems :)

Try to give her Benedryl also.

I know, it may not be food related, but it can't continue the way it is now. And like I said before, nothings changed....it's really baffling. We have nothing in the yard she could have gotten into, and she's just had her regular bones/kibble.

I think I'll try the Benedryl after I get home from my class this afternoon. She's had problems in the past with medications like that, so I want to be home. I'll be talking to my vet about it today though. :(

How old is Lizzie? Allergies tend to worsen as the dog gets older. A mild/medium allergy will usually show up anywhere from the ages of 12 months to 3 years. My oldest dog was allergy free for the first two years of her life, and now every summer it is getting more and more difficult having to deal with her allergies. You should get her in to the vet again to have her checked over.

Members online

No members online now.