Insanity work out DVD reviews.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thinking about buying it.

I know it's hard, but thinking of doing it together!

Any comments on it?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
It's a bit expensive so going to sleep on it and gets some reviews... I'm an impulse buyer. Need to be sure I'm going to use it.... I've heard it's quite motivating.

We don't live near any good gyms at all, and the gym we do live near is council run, and they don't have any classes on. I like classes more than gym stuff.

Thought, this is something I can do at home, and even the other half might give it a go. He's waaaaaaaay fitter than me, but would like to tone.

I need to lose weight and improve my general fitness.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I have them and really love the program.
The only issue I've had with it is me.

Each video is about 45-50 minutes, always interesting and always an AMAZING workout. 6 days per week and one rest day.
Very very hard but nothing impossible. (Everything is high intensity but in between there are some good recovery days and such)

If you would like to see the videos here are some links
(for the sake of not having to deal with watching 45 seconds of japanese commercials everytime you want to work out.. you may want to still buy the legal DVDs but here if you want an idea)
http://hula-hips.tumblr.com/tagged/workoutlinks

To those with bad knees or anything.. there is LOTS of jumping/running/bouncing/moving. Lots of squatting, lots of high intensity drills.

My advice? Make the videos work for you and KEEP YOUR FORM.
Even if it means pausing, taking a minute, checking a mirror and getting your form PERFECT. I see way too many people doing these videos and just flailling around.

Best advice everyone ever told me, which has helped me get as far in this program as I have.
It is a MAX INTENSITY WORKOUT. It DEPENDS on your heartrate being back to normal before you jump into the next high intensity workout. If you need more than 10-15 seconds between to get back...then wait. It's better than you jumping back in and giving up.

Personally I'm very happy with it. I'm not the kind of person that will get to a gym (too far, too many excuses, don't want to pay for a monthly gym pass) so it works for me. I get my 45 minutes a day, no matter what.

All you need is a yoga mat and some shoes.

The results so far have been very good. I am losing fat and gaining muscle.

BUT
- I end up in a puddle of sweat every evening
- There are days when I hate the videos and feel like I am going to die
- There are mornings after this workout where I am sore.. everywhere.
- It's easy to not make the time, everyday, or put it off. I personally prefer to do it in the evenings.
-I have known people who have gotten great results but subsequently, haven't kept them/kept up with working out a bit each day.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sounds interesting. Do you have to do it every day? What about every other day?

Any other DVDs worth looking at?

milos_mommy

If you're overweight or at a less than average fitness level, I'd check with a dr first. I know it can be hard on your knees at least.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Everything Fran said. Lol

I love insanity but for the life of me can't stick to it past about 3 weeks in.

I bought rockin' body & am going to see if I can get through all 30 days, then maybe revisit insanity.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If you're overweight or at a less than average fitness level, I'd check with a dr first. I know it can be hard on your knees at least.
I'm not that overweight :D I want to lose about 2 stone (24 pounds). I've done boot camp before, which was tough, so I have an idea of what it might be like physically on me. Hard :D I'm probably the least fit I have been in a long time though, but don't think I'm dangerously unfit.

I would like to do it every other day though, that's the only thing.... I have my inhaler for when my lungs cease up :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Everything Fran said. Lol

I love insanity but for the life of me can't stick to it past about 3 weeks in.

I bought rockin' body & am going to see if I can get through all 30 days, then maybe revisit insanity.
Is that the same sort of thing?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'm doing "10 minute trainer" by the same company. Been doing the program since January 2. Down 52 pounds as of this morning. It's less intense and the time commitment is under 15 minutes of clock time daily (unless you do multiple workouts, but each session is 15 minutes including 2 minutes warmup, 10 minute workout and 2 minute cool down). You get one day off a week (day 3). And if you feel up to it or want to work harder, you just do more.

I've tried Insanity after completing P90X and was unable to get through the "fit test" without puking.

Like any program, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you work the program, follow the schedule and stick with it, you'll easily drop those 2 stones (well, not "easily" as the program is not "easy").

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I did one insanity workout and I will be happy to never do another one lol. That program is just not for me. I would dread my workout everyday if I had to do that one.

I am currently doing "Rockin Body" and Shaun T made these ones, too. It can be intense and it's a really good workout and way more fun (and cheaper as I think it is still on sale).

Another one I did that is a really good fitness program is Turbo Jam with Chalene Johnson. It's more of the punching/kicking type thing.

You don't have to do 6 days a week, I follow the 6 day program but you can make it work for you and do every other day. The minimum is 3 days a wrek with at least half an hour of exercise on each of those days.

And when all else fails and there are certain moves you aren't up to doing yet... MODIFY MODIFY MODIFY!!!!! :). Make your workout work for you

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Slightly lower impact - it's like a higher intensity dance party. It's fun - everyone looks like they're having a great time sweating! In insanity, when the guy asks how you're doing, one girl says "I wanna leave" and one says "I feel like $h!t". So if that's any indication... lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Rockin body is more dancey stuff and not as intense and way more fun LOL but it is still a really good workout.

Also, Shaun T has a program coming out this summer called T25. A very intense workout and te videos are only 25 minutes long.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Those other DVDs sounds more likely to keep me going longer term :D

Not sure i like dancey ones though... I've done dancey type classes before and don't really enjoy them, butttttttt.... Maybe in my own home I would :)

Going to have a look!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm doing "10 minute trainer" by the same company. Been doing the program since January 2. Down 52 pounds as of this morning. It's less intense and the time commitment is under 15 minutes of clock time daily (unless you do multiple workouts, but each session is 15 minutes including 2 minutes warmup, 10 minute workout and 2 minute cool down). You get one day off a week (day 3). And if you feel up to it or want to work harder, you just do more.

I've tried Insanity after completing P90X and was unable to get through the "fit test" without puking.

Like any program, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you work the program, follow the schedule and stick with it, you'll easily drop those 2 stones (well, not "easily" as the program is not "easy").
This one Eddie?

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/10_minute_trainer.do

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Those other DVDs sounds more likely to keep me going longer term :D

Not sure i like dancey ones though... I've done dancey type classes before and don't really enjoy them, butttttttt.... Maybe in my own home I would :)

Going to have a look!
If you don't really like dancey then I highly recommend Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire. It will get you results, it's fun and it's more punching and kicking and Chalene is super fun and will keep you going

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I didn't say this before but for the record.. to do insanity you have to be reasonably fit.
I don't want to put a hard number on it but I'd say capable for running a mile would be a good starting point I guess...

I have had friends who have tried insanity and thrown up and fainted and things like that. It is not a good first time workout program for someone who is inactive or isn't used to sweating/heart pumping exercise.

My first intense cardio day I thought I was going to faint :rofl1:

Try the fit test or cardio circuit on the links. Bearing in mind those are not the most difficult ones by far but if you can push through those you should be OK.

and it does need to be 6 days a week. I mean, you don't HAVE to do it..but it's very structured and 6 days just makes sense with the order of the workouts and everything.

I like insanity.
It isn't a fun workout lol by any means.
it involves quite a lot of me panting in the squat position swearing like a sailor and wishing death upon the TV.
but I love the results and I love pushing myself.
plus I hate dance workouts so this works. I don't feel like dancing workouts push me in the same way and I just don't feel as good after.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member

Katem

My sister bought p90x awhile back, so I tried that. I liked the workouts, but watching the same videos over and over bored me. They were so long, I felt like I was spending far too much time doing the same thing. I thought about getting insanity, but decided that I would probably get bored with it.

Plus, I found bodyrock/dailyhiit. It's a website with free workout videos. There are tons of options, so if I'm not feeling one workout I could just find another. And they're short. I like short. If I have more time then I'll combine a few different workouts or just do more rounds.

Since I don't have a daunting 60-90min (I was doing p90x, I believe insanity is shorter) video to follow, I'm also less likely to skip it. It's harder to say f it when the workout is only 15min or so.

Members online

No members online now.