My new pup's agressive behaivor...help!

hjova

Is my new puppy too aggressive?

We had a beautiful lab for 12 years who passed away from old age a few months ago and my kids have been lost without her. We also have a 3 year old pom...well she's really my dog. She's a lap dog and she only weighs about 4 lbs. The kids like her but I have three boys and for them she's 'mom's princess' :) So my boys got around to asking for a new puppy. I told them we could get a mid-sized dog because I was a little worried about my pom 'Bean' being w/ a pup that was too big for her to handle. We all agreed on a beagle! The mother of the puppies was a small beagle (13 inch) father being the same size and both were VERY good tempered. The puppy we chose was a female, the smallest and most mellow of the five. We brought her home last week at 8 weeks old and named her 'Arie'. She and Bean have getting along just fine! I have been taking the two of them out to the yard to go to the bathroom several times a day for a week now and all was good until tonight. Arie has all of a sudden out of the blue became way too playful with Bean, knocked her down and bit her! Bean yelped! I know Arie is just a pup and wants to play but Bean is small! I didn't know what to do except firmly tell Arie 'NO'. But she continued to play very agressivley, so I brought the two of them in and gave Arie a little time in her kennel to settle down. So, I didn't count on this...now what? We really love the pup but I'm now afraid for Bean! Our Lab Bailey was 95 lbs but never once hurt Bean in anyway! I need advice! :(

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It sounds like Arie is being a playful beagle pup and nothing more. They're rough and tumble little dogs and some dogs get excited by the squeaks other dogs make. My Aussie thinks little dog are squeaky toys and like to run over them so they make noise. :rolleyes: Needless to say, we try to avoid the small dogs.

Giving Arie a timeout when she gets too rough is good. It will help her understand that playtime ends if she can't play by the rules. You might also only let the two dogs play together after Arie has gotten "the edge" off with your family, chasing a ball around, some obedience, things like that so she's not quite so wound up.

Keep in mind as well that she's brand new to your family and isn't used to playing with anyone other than her littermates right now. Give her some time to settle in and learn the new rules and I bet everything will turn out fine. :)

Yeah sounds like normal play to me--my dogs (16lbs and 6lbs) bite each other constantly--and once and awhile when things get too rough the small one will yelp--

My small dog actually constantly tries to bite at my larger dogs neck--his tail, his legs--and they are both VERY vocal when they play. As long as no one is getting actually hurt they should be fine...just keep an eye on them.

DaVinci

Like everyone else said this is normal a puppy being a puppy. Make sure no plays rough with her or she will get the idea that that play is okay. Like said before play fetch or let her run around on her own before you let Bean play with her. I still have dogs yelping around here and I only have one pup and a bunch of older dogs they get rough with each other.

hjova

Good advice...thank you! This morning I played ball and toys with Arie before Bean was brought into the picture. Arie still wanted to play with Bean but she had already let a lot of that first morning energy out so by the time Bean joined in she was more mellow. A few times she tried to jump her but I just again firmly told Arie NO and pulled her away. She seems to be learning already. Arie was a good choice for my three boys who want a dog that plays ball, tug a war ect. But I must admit Bean IS my little princess...lol. I hope as time goes on the two of them will grow together and become friends :)

Last edited:
remember too that yelping and vocalizing is how dogs tell each other when things are too rough. so yelping is good, Bean is telling the pup that its too much. As long as they take breaks and no one is drawing blood from the other they are fine.

Members online

No members online now.