Looking for really good food

My dogs eat Canidae right now, but my parents keep complaining that their breath smells, and they're both at points in their agility "careers" that I really want them to be in as good condition as possible, so I'd like to do some sort of homemade cooked (parents wouldn't like raw) food for them. Can't cost too much, I'd have to find out exactly how much we spend on food but I think it's around 2 bags of Canidae a month so around $60 a month. There's usually some type of meat for less than $1 a pound every week, and I could cook a lot when I had time and then freeze it, so really the only issue is how much to feed and what to add. I'm looking at a couple of pre-mix type things (HK Preference etc), but I think it'd probably be cheaper to make everything myself and then add a calcium supplement? :confused: Does anyone have any good recipes or know of any other mixes I could add to cooked meat?

Dekka

Just try me..
How about a raw diet? Many dogsport people feed raw just for the reason you mention, they want the dogs in top shape. I fed my dogs raw, but my freezer broke...(nasty nasty with all that meat in there) Currently I am feeding grain free, Orijin or Evo RM. And they look almost as awesome as they did on raw. I fend the grain free gives us a more consistent energy level. So where as my dogs could do 2 or 3 runs a day without losing their drive, now they can do 4 a day and still be looking to play.

I wouldn't mind feeding raw, but we don't have the freezer space, and Dusty is co-owned with my dad and Boo is all my dad's so I can't do anything too "crazy." I didn't see much of an improvement on EVO versus Canidae, regular Innova, or Solid Gold and Canidae is a lot easier to get, but now that they're working harder I might try that again if I don't find anything else.

I've been looking at those, I need to figure out how much money a month we spend on dog food to figure out what would be reasonable. They seem really super-expensive to me but Canidae and EVO (which is what we fed before that) aren't exactly cheap either ...

Members online

No members online now.