Worlds Largest Dog

Giny

The photo kind of looks off, doesn't it.

When I went for my dogs yearly physical last year, they had a Mastiff in their waiting room that weighed 300 pounds. It was HUGE! The reason I knew his weight was because the vet staff laughed at the fact that they had their biggest client in that day and their smallest, which was my Kassie. Seeing them next to each other was quite a sight. Wished I had a camera with me. He was such a sweetie too, guess for that size he'd have to be. LOL

Saintgirl

they had a Mastiff in their waiting room that weighed 300 pounds
Wow, they should have contacted Guiness because the record is 286lbs right now. Zorba is the all time record holder at 343lbs. The problem with monster sized dogs is that they continue to get bigger as the story is told. For example, my boy weighs 190lbs, last summer we ran into a man who was telling us that he used to have a Mastiff that weighed 250lbs, but our dog was way bigger than his. We loved the look on his face when we told him that Hutch was under 200lbs. Don't get me wrong, Hutch is a VERY BIG BOY who weighs more than myself or my fiance (and yes- he is fit, it is crucial that giant breeds be kept at a good weight due to predisposed joint issues). We had to buy a new car when he continued to grow.

One of the myths that I want to clear about moster sized dogs is that that DO NOT eat you out of house and home!! Mastiffs, Saints, Newfs, Danes etc, are low key dogs who like to keep the sofa warmed for you and that doesn't require alot of food energy!! A giant breed typically doesn't eat more than a large breed dog.

I had to laugh when someone mentioned earlier about the guy with his Mastiff that is always being stopped and asked questions about his dog. When you have a dog that weighs more than the average man, it is part of the breed to be asked questions! We joked about making a pamphlet and handing it out so we didn't have to answer the same questions all of the time. When I was out earlier a call came in on my cell as I was walking the dogs, so I stopped to take the call and a man waited until I was off the phone to tell me that I had a big dog, and he wanted to know if I had a saddle for him. The saddle question is probably the one we hear the most, and the most annoying because he is a dog- not a horse and it is pretty obvious!

And I hate hearing 'Who's walking who' when we are out for a walk. I am walking him, I am in charge, and he is happy with this. Yes, he is more than capable of pulling me along if he really wanted to, but he doesn't even think about it because he respects my leadership.

Giant breeds are AWESOME! But they do take a certain kind of person to want one.

oh i feel you, those saddle jokes get old real quick, i dont know how many times i day i hear "why bother walkin him, just get a sadde and ride him!"...:rolleyes:. Oh and you cant forget the person whos "brothers cousins friend has a bigger dane than my dog" :rolleyes:... I remember a while back a man approached us and asked how much Kai weighed, i old him and hes says, "oh well thats nothin' my brothers friend has the biggest great dane he weighs 300lbs and comes up to my chest"..oh gawd :rolleyes: A 300lb great dane? If your gonna lie at least take a look at the standard first :p

Giny

Wow, they should have contacted Guiness because the record is 286lbs right now. Zorba is the all time record holder at 343lbs. The problem with monster sized dogs is that they continue to get bigger as the story is told.
I really didn't know that the Guinness record for the biggest dog was 286lbs at the time. Acutely, I only found this out today. I'm even more amazed at this dog’s size, the one at the vets, now that I see this. I wonder if they also go by height when it comes to this Guinness record? This dog was huge and tall but kind of chunky around the girth. lol I can understand what you mean about the dog getting bigger as the story is told, kind of like that enormous minnow you caught on your last fishing trip. ha! Though the source came from my vet so I tend to believe what was said.

Saintgirl

A 300lb great dane? If your gonna lie at least take a look at the standard first
ROFL!! I know it Danegirl!!

It is funny that they show a picture of a Neo beside that horse, sure they are big, but by no means are they a contender for the biggest breed!

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Just imagine sitting on the sofa and him deciding to jump in your lap !
[ new sofa needed to lie on while legs are in casts]
Imagine him getting out and leaving a gift at your neighbors house to step in !! LOL
Forget about jumping on your lap Joyce LOL!...............What if that monster of a dog turned on you :yikes: ! I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.............

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Guinness DOES list the tallest dog as a separate entity. I saw their listing. It's a Great Dane who measures 42". I saw the photo of him too. Spindly fella. lol. Harlequin that lives in Cal.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®

Members online

No members online now.