Show Help.....PLEASE!?!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
If you want a Golden, get a Golden - my first show dog is a Doberman... and dobes are just as competitive (if not moreso) than Goldens! And yes, he's pointed... owner handled.

Showing dogs is very expensive... around $28 dollars per entry, per day. Factor in transportation, training, lodging, supplies, *the dog itself*... just be prepared for it all! I'm actually happy that my show dog isn't a dog that will finish easily, because I simply can't afford to campaign a *really good* dog... I'll save that for when I'm older and richer! I was offered a dog that ended up finishing at 14 months of age, and is now being specialed... no way could I have afforded that dog's show career!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If you want a Golden, get a Golden - my first show dog is a Doberman... and dobes are just as competitive (if not moreso) than Goldens! And yes, he's pointed... owner handled.

Showing dogs is very expensive... around $28 dollars per entry, per day. Factor in transportation, training, lodging, supplies, *the dog itself*... just be prepared for it all! I'm actually happy that my show dog isn't a dog that will finish easily, because I simply can't afford to campaign a *really good* dog... I'll save that for when I'm older and richer! I was offered a dog that ended up finishing at 14 months of age, and is now being specialed... no way could I have afforded that dog's show career!

Thanks Sizzle :)

Yes this Golden will be handled by ME...owner handled! ;)

Yes, I am starting to save up for a Golden NOW!! and for all the goes with Showing! :D

Just wondering but how much do they usually go for....I mean how much do they usually cost? :)

showpug

Thanks Sizzle :)

Yes this Golden will be handled by ME...owner handled! ;)

Yes, I am starting to save up for a Golden NOW!! and for all the goes with Showing! :D

Just wondering but how much do they usually go for....I mean how much do they usually cost? :)
I would plan on $1200-$1500 for a show golden. I looked into them once because I was possibly interested in getting one and that is what the show breeders around here are selling show pups for. By the time you are ready, I would plan on $2000.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I would plan on $1200-$1500 for a show golden. I looked into them once because I was possibly interested in getting one and that is what the show breeders around here are selling show pups for. By the time you are ready, I would plan on $2000.

Okay thanks! :)

*goes to start saving* :p :D

showpug

I would say Dobermans are THE MOST competitive ring at the show LOL! I think that is an outstanding accomplishment that you have owner handled and pointed your Dobe...:)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Around here believe it or not Rhodies are the biggest breed entry. Though at the last show papillons were the biggest breed entry (66). All the shows I've gone to had a ton of golden entries, so be prepared for work. Good luck on your (potential) new dog!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
$2000 is probably a good estimate. It's not hard to save that much, especially when you're young and don't have to worry about utility bills, credit card bills, rent.... yadda yadda yadda.

Ilsa was $1000 as a pet back in early 2002... Ronin was more - he cost me less than usualy since he was abused and I co-owned him, but he was still a pretty penny.

I don't regret a single cent of it though. They're worth it all, and more.

For a Golden, I'd imagine you'd need a table with a grooming arm and noose, a dryer, brushes, shears, towels, a dremel... and don't forget some nice show outfits!

Luckily, conformation training seems to be pretty cheap - I only pay $3 per hour, once a week. And a lot of the training can be done at home.

Show leads can be cheap, but it seems to be the trend in Goldens to have super-fancy show leads. I just bought Ronin a new show lead, and it ended up costing about $80... for ONE lead. But he's been shown for about a year on a $15 lead before we bought the "ritzy" lead!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Thanks showpug! I've been told that he'd have a much better shot with a handler, but Ronin cannot go out with a handler - he's too wary of strange people, and was punched by his handler hired by his previous owners... as a result, Ronin does not trust strange people taking him into the ring.

Buuuuuttt.... I don't think I'll be having much trouble, now that he's maturing nicely... ;

Lizmo

Water Junkie
$2000 is probably a good estimate. It's not hard to save that much, especially when you're young and don't have to worry about utility bills, credit card bills, rent.... yadda yadda yadda.

Ilsa was $1000 as a pet back in early 2002... Ronin was more - he cost me less than usualy since he was abused and I co-owned him, but he was still a pretty penny.

I don't regret a single cent of it though. They're worth it all, and more.

For a Golden, I'd imagine you'd need a table with a grooming arm and noose, a dryer, brushes, shears, towels, a dremel... and don't forget some nice show outfits!

Luckily, conformation training seems to be pretty cheap - I only pay $3 per hour, once a week. And a lot of the training can be done at home.

Show leads can be cheap, but it seems to be the trend in Goldens to have super-fancy show leads. I just bought Ronin a new show lead, and it ended up costing about $80... for ONE lead. But he's been shown for about a year on a $15 lead before we bought the "ritzy" lead!
$80 FOR A SHOW LEAD!!!! :yikes: :yikes:

Holy COW!!! :yikes:

Where would you go for Comformation training? The Breeder?

I would like to show dogs when I get older but also have a Traning Facilitly...some day :D

What are Shears? Like Scissors?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I go to the local kennel club - the instructor changes every month, and the instructors vary in experience. This month's instructor is a Dachshund breeder and judge!

My breeder actually goes to a collie breeder's facility for training... even though she's been breeding since the 1960's - they treat it more like an open session though. I've been there once, but my breeder is in another state and I only went to help corral puppies.

And yes, shears are scissors. Goldens require quite a bit of grooming - a friend of mine shows goldens. (see photos at http://www.everythinggolden.com/nick's_kids.htm )

You'll need to find a mentor in Goldens that can teach you how to groom - they're groomed to the nines for the show ring! Those tidy, pretty feet can take a very long time to learn how to groom...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
All our conformation and obedience training around here is trhough a german shepherd club. Well, the best is through the local GSD club. All the papillons I know were trained there. Your breeder should be able to tell you who offers good classes in their area. Or they should be able to point you to someone in your area that would have that information.

EDIT: Just got to thinking of this and I think it's because our breeder used to show and breed gsds before she bred papillons. I'm guessing this is how she knew about this group. Oh well, they're good classes. :p

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.

showpug

What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.
I agree, all very important things! My dog's breeder was my mentor and helped me learn at the shows.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh I am! :D

Probably I am going to find a REALLY good breeder the shows and has Champs in her line of Dogs....and she will help me learn all I need to know about showing Goldens...and the Show ring :D

Cole's Mom

Dobe Lover
If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Talk to breeders. Talk to owners.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
So I should not get the Breeder to mentor me?

Comformation can be COMFORMATION show which of course means a show that is judging the dogs body for correct comformation.

Comformation faults are easty westy ( front legs point east and west) , hocky ( rear legs turned turned out) weak topline - top of dog some breeds call for a strong strait topline others like fila and presa do not.

Buy k-9 structure and terminlogy by gilbert great book.
Best of Luck

showpug

Go to shows.

Cole's Mom
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors ;) It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors ;) It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...
Okay so you could have the breeder mentor you ;) *sigh* :)

Oh and I KNOW that I will not be able to get a Golden now....my parents have made it REAL clear that they will have NO more dogs in te house till one of them passes away :(

Also should I start looking for a breeder now?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I would start looking for a breeder now because most good breeders have waiting lists, especially for show quality dogs. It would probably be a good idea to keep in touch with the breeder and learn as much as you can about the show ring before you even get a dog, just so you know for sure that it is what you want to do :)

Members online