Agility training

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Congrats to everyone on their recent success!

I have nothing against fun runs as long as the equipment/footing is safe (we have some around here that are...sketchy). Great place to practice some trial skills without risking so much money :p

Meg recently went to one of the few AKC trials we do (can't say no to a trial 20 minutes from home). It was her third AKC trial ever, and she finished up both her open titles and got her first Excellent jumpers Q. She NQ for the first time ever in AKC the first class, when she was so high she missed her dogwalk contact by about 18', ran ahead and took the next tunnel, and then came back up the dogwalk to see what was taking me so long. And to think I had considered retiring her completely because she seemed so lackluster in practice! Apparently she believes she should only have to trial, not train. Fair enough, at this point! I'm holding off on trialling her anymore until Gusto is ready to go, just because I'm putting so much into him right now. I'll let her run a bit when he does though, and maybe polish off some metallic titles in our favorite classes.

Gusto continues to amaze me, and occasionally make me want to boot him over the fence. He sets the bar so high for himself when he's on, that when he is a typical 14 month old puppy, I think he's stupid and bad and I'm a terrible trainer and we should quit. We are going to a 2-day training camp next weekend with three great trainers (Terri Cesarek, Monique Plinck and Tracy Sklenar), and I am both excited and terrified! Hopefully he doesn't make too much of a fool of us.
Yay Meg!

And your description of Gusto cracks me up. He's going to be super! Have fun at the training camp! If he's at his best you get to show of a bit and get even better. If he's at his worst they can help you get his best from him more consistently. Win-win :)

SaraB

Yay Izzie!!

Mira, that's fabulous and go Web!

Super jealous of Gusto's coming up seminar with Tracy Sklenar. She was at our school a couple months ago and we had to miss it because I had been taking off too much time from work.

CaliTerp07

How do you guys feel about Fun Runs?
Love love love fun runs. Generally around here you only have to wait an hour or so between runs, as opposed to 2-3 at trials, so you can get 2 or 3 runs in before lunchtime, which is awesome.

Also, you can train what you need to train. With Lucy, I avoid the dog walk in strange places because we've had issues with them being wobbly some spots and freaking her out, but we'll make up our own course that does the obstacles we need most. That means we can hit the weaves 3 times and run the course backwards to get the discrimination I want to nail. And if something goes wrong, I have emergency cheese in my pocket to bring her focus back and retry a section.

They're also closer for me. The closest trials are around 90 minutes away, but the county does run-throughs for $7/run and the location is only 20 minutes from home. Bonus!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Agility fix this weekend! We're doing a fun run match for all the students of all the levels (with equipment they know in each 'level'. So even Summer is going to run a 'pre-agility' run lol. Should be a fun way to spend Saturday night.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Sad day, our fun match got moved to two weeks from now. Been looking forward to it all week. :(

Last edited:

BostonBanker

Aww, I'm sorry your agility got rained out. I know you said you guys need the rain, but it certainly could have picked a better time to come.

I just had day one of camp with Gusto. I was so stressed about it, and it has been amazing so far! The one instructor who really intimidated me coming in was phenomenally positive, helpful, and just great to work with. Gusto had a really hard time with the second session - I think he was just a bit fried mentally. It's a long day for the baby! I loved that a lot of the work in the morning session was really well tailored to the type of handling I want to be able to do with him - lots of non-verbal cues for acceleration and deceleration, turns, etc. I love those amazing fast, silent runs I see from some people, and keep it in my head as my long term goal. I'm still rolling stuff around in my head, and we have another whole day tomorrow!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
OK so we've been working to make things fun again. Kimma did a decent job at the most recent Fun Run (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbUQSqXQ9Q in case I haven't posted it here), but we're still having issues getting her excited in class, and therefore faster like she used to be. So I started running with her off the start, and that seems to be helping. I'm also trying to get her in to toys a bit more in the hopes that I can have something to throw after obstacles to get her moving (I'm also going to try the treat pouch I used while doing 2x2 weaves and see if that doesn't help).

I also did what Shai suggested in terms of backyard training and only worked when she was like SUPER excited about life. Here is our weave training from yesterday - it's a HUGE improvement! www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsJOahbA_I

I NEVER thought I would have to make her more excited about agility - she used to be such a nut about it! But I guess anxiety does weird things.

Finkie_Mom

Thank you guys!!! I'm so thrilled that she's at least enjoying herself at home again. And she DID seem to have fun at the Fun Run, but she was also acting a bit like a brat. The turf was SUPER INTERESTING to her, probably because we've never been on anything like that before in general, let alone for agility.

We have an obedience match on Saturday in preparation for her BN attempts in September, so that will give me more time to work with her and get her excited in a trial environment.

AND my husband was able to help me fix my stick in the ground weave poles!!!! Apparently all I needed was a vice grip and some pliers. So now I DO have all 12. We tried them out, and she did them perfectly 3 times, but with simple entries, so we stopped it there. I'm SO EXCITED.

We went to the park earlier and she played tuggy with one of her toys in a random field as we practiced recall and heel work stuff. So that's also progress.

Gotta love good training days :)

OK so we've been working to make things fun again. Kimma did a decent job at the most recent Fun Run (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbUQSqXQ9Q in case I haven't posted it here), but we're still having issues getting her excited in class, and therefore faster like she used to be. So I started running with her off the start, and that seems to be helping. I'm also trying to get her in to toys a bit more in the hopes that I can have something to throw after obstacles to get her moving (I'm also going to try the treat pouch I used while doing 2x2 weaves and see if that doesn't help).

I also did what Shai suggested in terms of backyard training and only worked when she was like SUPER excited about life. Here is our weave training from yesterday - it's a HUGE improvement! www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsJOahbA_I

I NEVER thought I would have to make her more excited about agility - she used to be such a nut about it! But I guess anxiety does weird things.
Good job with getting her happy about it again! She is such a cute little agility dog. :)

Shai brings up a great point only to train when she's in the right mindset, you don't want to rehearse crappy performances.

Have you tried throwing the treat pouch as a reward yet?

So I've entered Pan in her first ever agility trial next weekend! It's a CKC trial, so she only has to jump 20" and there are no weaves in Novice Standard. So far most of our training has been with low jumps, working on handling stuff with short sequences. Today we went to a fun match and ran a full course for the first time ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GTXUkQ8x5s

She was kind of weirded out at first, wondering why she wasn't getting rewarded, but got more confident with the whole idea of longer courses over the day. By the end we ran an Excellent level course (without the weaves) and it was awesome (but of course I didn't get it on video)! Then she got jumped by a Terv that is known to be dog aggressive. I didn't even see it coming, the idiot owner somehow lost control of her dog, who also wasn't crated all day, just allowed to bark and carry on, practicing it's bad behaviour, ugh. :( Luckily Pan is great with dogs and she diffused the situation right away. So a bit later I re-ran a bit of that course to make sure she wasn't paranoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GTXUkQ8x5s

Aleron

Glad Kimma's coming along! Stress does do weird things to dogs :/

Pan's first full courses look great - good luck with your first trial!

Finkie_Mom

Good job with getting her happy about it again! She is such a cute little agility dog. :)

Shai brings up a great point only to train when she's in the right mindset, you don't want to rehearse crappy performances.

Have you tried throwing the treat pouch as a reward yet?
Yeah, I'm thrown the treat pouch when she was learning 2x2s. She just doesn't get excited about it LOL.

Pan looks GREAT!!! Can't wait to hear all about your trial :)

Glad Kimma's coming along! Stress does do weird things to dogs :/
Ugh, it really does. Stress is the story of Kimma's life, unfortunately. She's always been an anxious dog.

We had a GREAT class last night, though, so apparently SOMETHING is working!!! Here are our runs:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54bfzO2uNs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo1T21SYqU

I still want to do more fun runs before we compete, but at least it's looking like it might happen one day :p

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Entry forms sent in for our first trial in October :yikes:
I just went to "like" this like on facebook lol.

Izzie and I have a trial on the not this weekend but next and then again the next weekend after that! Trial mania but these are the last 2 outdoor trials for us this season.

Finkie_Mom

Hahaha thanks for the almost-like :p

Best of luck at your trials! Izzie is such a good girl. I have no doubt she'll do you proud :)

Panzerotti

Pan's first agility trial was an overall success, even though we only got 2 Qs out of 6 runs. :) We got a Q on Sat and Sun, our second Q run was really nice, clean and a time of 33 sec (standard course time was 75 sec). Today we didn't get any because she was in full nut mode and blew almost all of her contacts, lol. I was happy with it though because she gained more and more confidence and speed over the course of the weekend. She's not even 2 yet, so I'm really looking forward to more training and trialing, she's going to be a lot of fun.

Vids of our Q runs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XUzVFKgcgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBA8JldBO0

Members online

No members online now.