Back leg exercises

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
One thing that i've been noticing and other dog people have been noticing is that Mitsu's back legs/hips are really loose and she has pretty much has no muscle tone, which im guessing is because of being stuck in a kennel for the first 4 months of her life and because she has crappy genetics.

Now im hoping, if she can handle it getting her into swimming this summer. Im thinking low impact.

Can anyone think of some exercises I can start doing with her now to hopefully tone up her back legs. Or even some joint suppliment.

:)

Dekka

Just try me..
There are many supplements. I like Omegalpha's glucosamine one. As for exercises, she might get better just being healthy and being able to run around. Up hills would be good and low impact. If you could get her to run up a hill with you, then walk down.. rinse repeat.

Ivy

When you say Mitsu's hips are really loose, maybe the vet should look into it a little more to strike out any underlying issues, maybe some x-rays.
I fostered a dog that was also kept in a crate for the beginning of his life, his feet were flat and no muscle tone. Short walks on soft ground helped build up his muscle tone, then progressively longer walks until we were comfortable with letting him run on grass off-leash.

Love the name Mitsu by the way.

Aleron

Tricks! Sit up, stand on hind legs, dance, back up, 2on2off, backing into 2on2off with increasing height (handstand :)), lift one side and one front leg at the same time (work both sides) and then "combo" tricks like sit pretty to stand on hind legs to sit pretty, down to sit pretty to down, back up in a down position, back up steps, etc.

Teal

...ice road...
I would definitely get x-rays done before you start any sort of exercise routine. She's young and puppies go through funky stages... But I'd rule out any issues first.

Members online

No members online now.