i need help with my new pup ASAP

I just got a new puppy ( a yorkie maltese mix) ok so here is the thing i am a teenager and i go to school, during the day (besides my spanish speaking maid) nobody is at home until two-two thirty. The puppy is not completly house broken yet but the room (my room) is completly puppy proof (except for my bed whiCH HE MIGHT CHEW!) i am wondering if i should throw a few toys in there and lock him in until someone comes home or if i should run my room until my mom gets home at 12:30-1:00 So that is like from 7;30 in the morning to like 12;30 or 1;00 ?? Please help me ASAP

Saje

Island dweller
I'm not sure what you mean by "run my room" but I may be tired. :)

How old is your puppy?

Have you thought about crate training?

You may need your maid to help you a little because that is a long gap for puppy to be alone and without a pee break.

Yes, give him toys. He will need to stimulation during his long, dull morning. It will help keep him from getting distructive.

It might have been better to wait until you had time for a puppy. I'm afraid that you and your puppy will have training issues.

Is your family supportive of you having a dog?

lots of questions!!
1) Hershey is 8 weeks old..i had him since he was 6
2) o ya thats wut i meant when i said lock him up" i guess i wasnt clear sorry..yes i want to crate train him..
3) My housekeeper doesnt understand one word of english..maybe i can use signs to tell her wut i meen l..like my mom does!!haha
4)Thanx for the advice
6) yes my family is very supportive..our old dog of 15 died just a few monthes ago.

well actually my mom just told me that she didnt need to have a job now cause my dad is doin well enough and she needs to take better care of the toddler (my lil sis) cause my little sister really doesnt get my housekeeper....so

But i would still need to have Hershey in a crate but not all of the time. like when my maid is cleanin my room and stuff He will go in the cage and also when my mom goes out but at least she will be at home more often to take him out every hour or two any more advice on my crate issues??

Saje

Island dweller
I could help you with the Spanish if you like. I don't speak it great but well enough to be understood. I lived in Chile for a year so I had to have learned something!

I'm really glad that your family is supportive. It makes me a little sad when a dog goes into a family where one person really, really wants him and someone else doesn't. You never know if that person will lose patience with the dog or interest and what to get rid of it. That's why I asked.

Six weeks old is pretty young to be getting a puppy. How has he adjusted?

You are planning on housebreaking him, not paper training him, right?

Crate training can be a good tool to use to housebreak. It's not the only method though.

You need to get your puppy used to the crate gradually with lots of positive experiences. You want that to be his safe place and his home. In one aspect a cage is like a dogs den. In another it's very different because a dog is never locked alone in a small area where it can't leave.

I'll find a good website for you to read. ... looking...this looks like a good one

http://www.doglogic.com/cratetrain.htm

at the bottom of that page there is an article on "Crate acclimatization" very important for youwhen you start out.

what you said about suport is kind of like what happens with my conure, Kiwi...but its not tat no one likes him it is that he bites everyone but me..trudt me they have tried..but he is also my baby !!Hershey has adapted very well but i just bought the crate. i think i understand what you are saying...well he has been in his crate during the night for a while but now i have school again..my school picks days and hands out vacations...maybe i will brinng Kiwi to my room and let Hershey watch him..lol no not really Kiwi loves to interact with my parakeet Tweety...Who hates the whole world and wants to fly off with his mirror! athnx for ur help

How do u say..you..take...dog..pee... in spanish HAHA

Saje

Island dweller
Puede tomar el perro a fuera por favor?

Can you take the dog outside, please?

Something like that. I don't know if that's the expression that they would use but she should understand.

Saje

i have a question: i was thinking about buying a big crate...like in the beggining i will block most of it off so he can stand up and lie down but not walk around the crate. After a while with no accidents i will take some of the blocking material of and over time with no accidents i will give him the whole crate to he would be able to like walk around it a little bit. It would keep him less bored

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was wondering if there is anybody in your neighborhood that would puppy sit for you while you are in school. We do that alot around here. My friend Kelly has taken in more than one puppy to keep while a teen is in school, and that allowed the puppy not only to be monitored but to be socialized with other dogs as well. May older people can use a bit of supplimental income, and a puppy shared brings joy to more than one person. A lot of businesses are popping up here in Mo that are doggy daycares. I think that this would be far better for your baby than being in a crate. I am just not a crate advocate for young dogs full of energy and needing developmental stimulation. Ask around, I think you might be suprised at what is available.It is not like you would need it all the time, and a doggy sitter realllllly comes in handy druing emergency times as well.

Members online

No members online now.