Off-Leash Dog Training

Off-Leash Dog Training, is becoming more popular and popular these days. I have been around dogs a long time. Years ago, if a dog was off-the-leash you assumed the dog broke off. Today many pet owners are opting for off-leash dog training. The benefits are extreme.

Off-Leash Dog Training allows your puppy and dog to participate in many events that restrict on-leash trained dogs. For example, frisbee playing, swimming, hiking (ok, maybe that can be done on-the-leash, but it is probably alot better off-the-leash), running on a beach, etc...These are the recreational, fun activities.

There are many safety advantages to having an off-leashed trained dog. Some include the ability to stop your dog in their tracks as they begin to approach danger.

Also your family or friends will enjoy the benefit of you being able to control and prevent your dog from jumping on them as they enter your home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmmm . . . huh? I had no clue that "off leash dog training" was new and all the rage. :dunno:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't want my dog minding me in public because he has a string attached to his neck. I am a big believer in the full deal. I do believe it takes a lot more time and dedication than the average owner is willing to do. THat final step to me is so important. I believe shooting for this goal saved Pepper's life. SHe had to learn that being held, being leashed, didn't get her what she truly wanted. Once we crossed she was able to have all the freedom she ever wanted in the first place. THe woods, the valley, the off leash park. It took a solid year of hard work to reach through all her bad habits, but it was worth every second. IF I had relied on the leash, it never would have happened. IF we are leashed, it to ease society that do not know us. Not because it is necessary. I think of it as doggy college and believe that most dogs can go this far. Every dog I have owned and worked with has.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I wish i could trust my dogs off leash. cannot have an off leash dog that chases cars and bites men!
we are working on these things and more with a professional now though.

my dream is going back packing with my dogs off leash. they can run in the woods just a little ways, walk ahead of me, and even behind me. but do NOT chase wildlife, bark at deer, run off, or bother other people and horses.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think it helped that Mary was here and Victor was fully trained before Pepper came. First we had our leash work down a thousand percent. THen I let the leash drag. If they got too far ahead, I would step on the leash. Something that annoyed Victor to no end. Pepper got it quick tho. THat was the first step. You can't however begin until you recall is down pat. Pepper was green with Envy that Victor and Mary got to run in the woods and she was attached to that damnable leash. IT certainly didn't happen over night. We had sometimes twice daily practice but always once without fail. Short sessions. IF they screwed up and got too far ahead, after the initial step on the leash thing, i would tell them uhoh...and the leash went back on. IT was almost an insult to them, an embarrassment. IT was critical with Pepper's attitude to learn that SHE had to control HERSELF to get what she wanted. Not me grabbing her or forcing her. I was forever getting the family to stop grabbing her collar when the door was going to be open and explained that they were actually sending her the message that unless someone was holding her she could get away. It was annoying as all get out that it sometimes took 10 minutes to get out the door because they had to sit and stay or the door shut. IF it was absolutely necessary to leave quickly then i had them put her in the bedroom with the door shut, but that was rare. It all payed off in the end.

Members online