saint b hip question

I am thinking of adopting a particular saint bernard. The humane society has one and has done an xray and has given us the following results

rt femoral head over 1/2 covered, slight flattening and irregularity of femoral head

left femoral head less than 1/2 covered, marked flattening,

the dog is a female 1.5 years old and 87 pounds.

any suggestions?

bubbatd

I can only advise with ratings .....is she showing lameness now ??

SpringerLover

Well, you want the femoral head to fit tightly into the joint socket. Only half covered isn't really ideal and less than half covered is even less desirable than that.

Irregularity and flattening are most likely signs of HD occuring at a young age.

Muscle can make up for a LOT of joint problems, as well as a good joint supplement at an early age. It's hard to say (since I'm not a vet, by any means) whethere she'd need hip surgery or not. That is something to discuss with the shelter staff as well as the vet who took the xrays.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
hmmm I don't know. If kept slender and given supplements she might be fine. I'd also be concerned about what level of lameness she has now. I'd plan for low exercise and easy living for this dog generally. Saints are not long lived....what around 8-10 years? So there is also that to consider.

Saintgirl

What a tiny little Saint at only 85lbs!! With her hip condition the way it is this is a good thing that she is a petite Saint Bernard.

As others have already said, keeping her on the skinny side, proper excersize, and good diet could help this girl live a good life. However, as X-rays have already been taken I would suspect that she is not asymptomatic and is having issues with her joints now. At her age and small size surgery could be an option. Arthritis is a side problem from HD and this is something that you will have to consider as she ages.

Yes, Saints have an average lifespan of only 8-10 years, and this is often due to the arthritic nature and poor joints and their poor quality of life. They may not live as long as other breeds, they do cost a fortune to care for when being vetted, BUT their big hearts and love they give MORE than make up for their other short comings. Have her seen by your vet and determine her condition further. If you are set on becoming a Saint owner I can direct you to lots of rescues! Unfortunatley their are lots of Saints in shelters due to the number one reason that people did not know that they would get so big.

Members online