Little Dog, BIG problem UHG!

I really need some input on this one. I've had dogs my whole like and I've never had a dog do what this little Shih Tzu does. He's approximately 1 year old, a rescue from a puppy mill, and has a really bad habit off urinating on my children's beds. :yikes: We're his foster family and I would really like to break this habit before he goes to his forever home. He will go outside for his break and will try to get my attention (subtly). I'm home almost all day, so he has plenty of opportunities to go out. But, if a bedroom door gets left open, he will definitely leave a puddle on the bed. Almost as if it's a compulsion or obsession. I've tried catching him in the act, but he's quick and really quiet about it. There are two other dogs in the house, one is 13 and has never, ever done anything like this and the other is a 11 w/o pekechu mix that can't get on the beds yet. Please help!!

Dekka

Just try me..
are you rewarding him for going outside?

You could try pee pants (think diapers) you don't want them too absorbent though, if he gets unpleasantly wet after peeing it might be a bit of a deterrent. But really you need to actively reward where you want him to go, and remove the opportunity to go in the wrong places.

Oh yes, He gets tons of 'Good boys" and a little treat when he goes outdoors. He's out about every 2 hours because the puppy needs out about that much. I've been making sure he gets lots of one on one time also. Me and him outside playing/training. I wondered if it was a throwback to his cage days and he just thinks he needs to go in an elevated spot. (I don't know, Just theorizing). My husband was thinking that putting something that makes a loud, sharp noise on the bed, so when he jumps up there it goes off. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Danefied

If you're not already, I'd try tethering and crating when you can't watch him. Its actually not that unusual for a dog to prefer to piddle on a soft surface.

Kind of off the wall, but have you thought about moving his feeding spot to ON the bed where he's peeing? This is a trick I've used with puppies who pick a "spot" in the house to go to. Works like a charm because of their natural instinct to keep eating and pottying areas separate. Of course if he's a puppy mill dog, that instinct might be pretty suppressed, but its worth a shot.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Tethering and crating works well for managing their behavior while you're retraining them.

Just a thought, but I wonder if they put old sheets or blankets in the dog's cages. People have told me you shouldn't use old sheets in whelping boxes because the puppies start to learn they are supposed to pee on fabric. I don't know if that's 100% true or not, but the breeder who told me that used an old comforter in her whelping box the first litter and ended up with several peeing on her bed. It took some time to break the habit, but they got the idea.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I agree with tethering/crating when you can't watch him. When he is loose, make sure he's always in sight and close the bedroom doors.

IME, it takes a while for dogs to generalize an entire house as a no potty area, and they tend to go in rooms that they don't spend much time in otherwise. Spending quality time with the dog in the bedrooms can also be helpful so he learns that those rooms are also part of the huge (to him at least) living area.

Romy, from what I know of this group of people (breeder/miller) they didn't use anything in the cages and just hosed them out once a day with an automated sprayer system of some sort, dog included. (The animal care in general is vulgar and they've been turned in several times and some how always end up back in business.) I have put an old blanket in his crate. I've only been using the crate at night and he's not wetting in there at all.

I REALLY appreciate the input from everyone. I'm going to try the feeding in his potty area and see if that helps. Little turkey did my sofa today, so I think that tethering is also worth a try.

I'm still open to all ideas, so please feel free to post what you have. Thanks a bunch!

Members online

No members online now.